Guy Phillips - Dispicable

thetorch

DB's Delight is truly classless and his continued announcing will only serve to hurt the reputation of SLU. Barbara Berger if you want to complain about someone's conduct at Billiken games complain about this man.

His insults were nonstop tonight. And these insults were not directed toward adults but children. At halftime two youth teams, I imagine the kids were 7-8 years old, played a short game and Guy was relentless. He took it upon himself to call the action ridiculing every child who happened to touch the ball. He was not done yet though as children were involved in two more contests in the second half giving Guy a few more chances to belittle the kids. If he thinks this conduct is funny he is totally off base and frankly if I were a parent of one the children Guy saw fit to ridicule they would be hauling Guy out of Kiel in a body bag.

The e-mails and letters have been written already to the powers that be at SLU. The quicker they fire Guy Phillips the better.

steve you need to ban the sameas name and poster. anyone that does that crap isnt here to discuss basketball. they are intent on causing confusion and infringing on your character. if you want to give the guy a short period of time to change it, fine, but if he doesnt come forward to do that, i would ban him, his ip addy and head off a potential problem.

thicks, i cant believe you defend guy. he has almost zero basketball knowledge and imo is and always has been at best a distraction at the games. i know of no regular fans that actually enjoy him. some tolerate him but few look forward to him and his "humor". that said, it is my understanding he is kim tucci's bud. kim is a wonderful billiken booster and if kim wants him, i aint getting in that battle.

that said, they could ask him to at least lay off the kids and contestants.

Shouldn't Guy have explained the call during the timeout before the last shot by Southern Miss. There was a lot of confusion, the refs huddled and one looked at the monitor (I guess to get the time right). The original call was a travel, I assume on Southern Miss, but that was overruled, I think. In any event, during all the huddling and time out, Guy didn't open his mouth.

I think his act is very old. He did get some laughs, but it was in poor taste.

I also think the band got some laughs, but you have to question their taste when the laughs are at the expense of someone who is a customer of the team (even though she is extremely misguided in her perception of what happens at these games).

IMO it cuts both ways on this issue.

Broy, I am a regular fan and I do enjoy GP. I have to agree with Thicks on this one and suggest that we lighten up a little. We go to Bills games for FUN. I enjoyed his comments during the halftime kids game and believe that GP's play-by-play made people watch the kids play. As a parent and coach of youth teams I find it hard to believe that any parent of the kids would have taken offense at GP's comments.

It seems like a few posters have a case of the @$$ over Guy and the rest of us can appreciate that, but at this point I say enough is enough.

I agree, I thought his belittling of the child trying to win the bike was a bit overboard. In fact a guy sitting next to me made the comment to his friend that if it was his kid he would want to show GP what it is like to be belittled in front of people. While I usually do not pay much attention to GP since I think he is not that good, you do have to wonder that if you are PA person should you really be doing things that causing controversy. I guess he should just stick with doing the normal PA stuff and inform the fans of what is happening such as like at the end of the game - he did not ever tell us what was going on and it was a critical time in the game.

I thought the job of the public address announcer was information. bonwich and I did it for the old Ice Bills at the Arena/Checkerdome and short of agitated excitement in announcing a huge goal or doing player introductions, the rest (for me) was pure information and advertisements. Since when did PA transform over into color commentary and stand up comedy?

If you want a running commentary on a peewee bsketball game, might I suggest someone associated with the team be given a hand-held mike who knows the players and their sensitivities -- including parental "problems" that someone like Kevin Slaten might be. He or she could even be on the court during the "game" like some of those crap shows I see on ESPN now with playground warriors breaking every known Naismith rule. I think it odd in today's politically-correct society that parents would allow for GP's running diatribes --- well-intended or not. Perception is reality and if you perceive you or your kid to be slighted, then they are.

Also, I agree with the person who said that GP should have explained the last call. The way I read it, it was a travelling call that was overruled due to a shot clock violation. How tough is that to tell folks? Bottom line: PA is information. You want color commentary, take your radio.

just from the fact that she acted as though the band's sign deal was something new tells me she isnt a fan that has been to many if any billiken games since the band has been doing this for about 10 years now.

thanks. i thought it was quite clever, as i'm a slu choir guy. but if you want me to change it, i certainly can comply...although that billikenroy guy seems to be a little touchy about the subject. anyway.

back to guy...i think he's pretty funny. that kid shooting for the bike was so awful, it was embarassing. plus, when the little kids playing the basketball game kept playing for about forty-five seconds after their game ended, guy said something to the extent of "and just like at home, these kids don't listen, considering the game ended forty-five seconds ago." i thought it was funny. if you want to complain about annoying announcers, then complain about those two women who do the on-court promos. they have terrible voices and yuck. people started groaning when they saw them coming out on the floor time-out after time-out. it was ridiculous. comments???