The Return of Justin Johnson

Box and Won

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was one rebound in the first half, and JJ's man was about 16 feet out on the left elbow of the free throw lane. When JJ saw the shot on its way, he backed out and attempted to park his butt into the guy. The Houston player decided not to contest the rebound,and watched as it took a short bounce hard carom off the board, and right into JJ's hands. Last year, JJ often stood in the lane, and had his man bull rush and get the rebound.

Maybe it has really sunk in that doing simple things is the key to being a solid force, and getting minutes. I hope so!

i thought justin johnson finally after all these years played like a true power forward. he was always around the basket and he rebounded like we needed. he also had a couple of really nice outlet passes that led to breaks. i am all for moving luke meyer to a wing and playing johnson more.

as much as folks want to annoit ian as the team savior, this team is lisch and liddell's imo. ian can make this team great if he ever puts a total game together, but it has been the consistent top performances of lisch and liddell that have carried this team so far. yesterday afternoon was no different.

Roy, you are correct about Ian and KL and TL. Ian missed so many close in shots when he was fouled that should have gone in that it made you think he was shooting terribly but the box score says something else. I am sorry but Ian needs to finish the shots close in even if he is getting foul - he much to tentative this year.

Given the poor shooting that Luke displayed during this game, I wonder if he would really be of any help on the wing. His shot is really poor - he missed two wide open short jumpers late in the game that would sealed the game and stopped Houston's run. I am sorry but he may be stronger but his shot is still terrible - I wonder for the season if he is even shooting at the same level of Polk and we all know Polk's shooting woes. Although, he did a nice job of driving to the basket a couple of times during the game but he still missed several open 3s.

Against Houston..... IV (on an off-day) was 6-10 from the field, 3-12 from the line, scored 16 points, had 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals.

I will take 16 points, 13 boards, 4 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals from SLU's center (whomever it may be) every game for the next ten years!

IV has spoiled us in a sense. From seeing him in College Station and then again versus Houston.....he seems to be somewhat in a funk. Nonetheless, the day is coming (like next year) that we will miss IV production big-time.

Thanks for the stats on Luke - things can be deceiving. Don't forget that when a player is fouled but does not make the shot it does not count as a missed shot or an attempt - at least that is how it was explained to me so if I am wrong please correct me. My point is if Ian gets fouled on 6 shots that do not go in then we not only loose the chance for those points but risk getting nothing when he misses his FTs. If Ian wants to play in the NBA, he has to finish most of those dunks and close layups even if he is getting fouled. The big elephant in the room that nobody is talking about is that Brad did not play Ian for the last part of the game because he knew Houston would be fouling and he needed people in there who could hit foul shots. Ian was on the bench because of that. JJ acquitted himself well by rebounding during that stretch.

the stats look a little different.

KL = FG: 22-45 for 49%; 3PTers: 12-21 for 57%; FT: 25-30 for 83%

TL = FG: 25-47 for 53%; 3PTers: 7-11 for 64%; FT: 9-12 for 75%

LM = FG: 10-25 for 40%; 3PTers: 1-5 for 20%; FT: 1-2 for 50%

Far be it for me to say whether Luke can repeat his outstanding performance vs. Quincy vs the likes of Houston, Xavier, SIU, Missouri St. etc. but I think we should at least realize that his stats are a little skewed because of that game.

The most important stat I would ask is, how does our power-forward only get 2 free-throw attempts in the last 4 games?

You are correct....when a player gets fouled it does not count as a shot-attempt unless he makes it. If the foul was a "hard-foul" I don't think it would be fair to consider it a FGA. I would think post-players receive and give more "hard-fouls" than perimeter players 15-20 feet from the basket.

I also noted the JJ for IV move with about 3:20 left in the game. IV missed a FT a few seconds earlier and I'm guessing the substitution was made for free throw shooting purposes.

Interesting no poster are questioning why Obi, Horace or Adam didn't get a chance to play.

Exactly--as I pointed out immediately after the Quincy game (and was criticized for doing so by a certain poster), Luke is not going to get open up-and-unders and layups against most opponents like he did against Quincy. Luke's greatest value is at the small forward position, but that value is greatly diminished if he can't consistently knock down open mid-range jumpers.

most knowledgeable b-ball fans recognize that LM is not our PF. Luke is our fourth perimeter player in our 4-1 perimeter offensive scheme, and at the defensive end he is asked to guard the other teams PF. One more time, LM is a perimeter player and not a PF.

Some would note that SLU list four guards and a center on the official stat sheet....others wouldn't notice.

Against D1 opponents...... I can only assume that Creighton didn't bother looking at the SIU-E vs. Nebraska game-tape because after all ....SIU-E is a D2 school. Maybe they should have!

>Interesting no poster are questioning why Obi, Horace or

>Adam didn't get a chance to play.

That is because JJ was so effective in his limited minutes. Ideally, JJ would start at the four and would be backed up by one of those three. Luke could then get most of his minutes at the small forward spot. Frankly, if Dwayne is creating opportunities and defending like he did yesterday, I am on board with Dwayne keeping his starting spot at the three, with Brown and Meyer coming off the bench in the backcourt.