PD online today-DP's shooitng woes

slu72

may have been cured. He's wearing contact lenses! Was this the problem? He's not sure, but says he's seeing everything in a new light. Also, UB talked about not signing anyone. He doesn't sound worried saying they went after BCS types. My guess would be he's focused on the 2008 class and hoping to add one or two in the spring. He's clearly thinking he's not going to sign up just any old body...can't argue with that. Am sure they're keeping their eyes open on both JUCO's and late blooming HS seniors that will want to come to SLU after we make some noise in the NCAA. Go Bills!

You hear that pretty often in sports, but it is usually someone who'w vision has just started to go bad. DP has worn the glasses since High School. Here's to hoping his Quincy shot lives on.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Yeah, but as a glasses/lens wearer since the 8th grade, your vision tend to deteriorate until you reach myopia, later in life. So who knows...his may have gone downhill since his senior year and he didn't realize it. Like a flaw in your golf swing, you rarely know it's there until someone points it out. Let's hope lens' are the answer to DP's shooting. Always said, he was a big time scorer in HS, if he can hit a few 3's on the break, ala Dee Brown, it changes the whole complexion of this team.

>"Always said, he was a big time scorer in HS"

>

>Where does this perception come from? Except for a handful

>of games, Polk was never a big scorer in high school.

>That's why the 38 point outburst in the championship game

>was so surprising.

Polk had a couple good scoring games in high school, when his perimeter shot was falling.

Otherwise the scoring was usually spread around.

- Nate

The question that crosses my mind from reading the article is how could the coaching staff not have figured this out before? If the kid is wearing glasses other than on the court why in God's name would they have not thought that to be odd if he was not wearing any glasses or contacts on the court. Seems rather dumb on the coaching staff side.

Sorry, forgot to mention about the recruiting - what else do you expect Brad to say? Gee nobody wanted to come so we are really in a deep hole now. His response is what you would expect him to say - in other words he put lipstick on the pig. I hope he and others are right about finding some players in the Spring and cleaning up with the 2008 high school class. Lots of eggs in the one basket if you ask me but I guess he does not have any other choice now. Here is to hoping he is a lucky gambler.

"The question that crosses my mind from reading the article is how could the coaching staff not have figured this out before? If the kid is wearing glasses other than on the court why in God's name would they have not thought that to be odd if he was not wearing any glasses or contacts on the court. Seems rather dumb on the coaching staff side."

Please Cheese-man. Brad is a coach not a doctor and doesn't moonlight at Lenscrafters. If Dwayne's shooting is attributable to poor eyesight, it isn't Brad's fault.

You slay me.

Cheese has got a point. Obviously they see him wearing glasses but not on the court. You would have thought the idea would have crossed someone's mind, "hey, he's blind as a bat." When I was a sophomore in hs, way back when, I played w/o my glasses, my JV coach recommended I either wear these goofy thick plastic jobs they had back then, or investigate contact lenses. I went to lenses, hard ones then, they helped. Given the pitiful way DP was shooting the ball, hell, I would have bought in a Voodoo doctor to lift the curse.

For those of you think my comment was wrong let me ask you this - why are the Cardinals nailed for not knowing that Mulder had been having shoulder problems or the same with Rolen. My point is, the coaching staff needs to know what is going on with all the players on the team. Getting your eyes checked should be if it is not an annual thing the team should do. Sorry, mine is a legit question - yours is just plain defensive.

>>"Always said, he was a big time scorer in HS"

>>

>>Where does this perception come from? Except for a handful

>>of games, Polk was never a big scorer in high school.

>>That's why the 38 point outburst in the championship game

>>was so surprising.

>

>Polk had a couple good scoring games in high school, when

>his perimeter shot was falling.

>

>Otherwise the scoring was usually spread around.

>

>- Nate

The scoring was spread around because he played with several other D1 commits like Gordon, Kern, McKinney, Muse, J. Hill, B. Hill, and J. Washington. That's 7 guys that committed to division 1 schools, it doesnt mean he couldnt have scored more on a lot of occasions, and lets not forget the devastating knee injury he had. The injury allowed Washington to see the floor the as a freshman and get a starting spot he never relinquished, which may have stunted Polk's pg development, as he once again played off guard. As a freshman and sophomore he was simply the designated shooter, but he handled the ball a lot as senior despite playing off guard. That was the only undefeated season for the legendary Vashon program and speaks volume's about Polk's leadership. Not only did Polk score 38 in title game, but he scored 38 in the Riverwar too. Polk was a very good shooter in high school. It was a surprise when he missed. Its been very frustrating to see him struggle with his shot and I hope it returns to him.

Can you ever see anything that happens in a light that in some way is not negative to the coaching staff? This is absolutely ridiculous. There are many stories over the years of people in all sports, particularly baseball and golf that discovered later in their carreer that adjustments to their vision by glasses, contacts or otherwise helped their performance.

Oh great, you could not just post one negative post--it had to be two. You are clearly a person who sees everything that Brad does as negative. If he wants to wait and use the scholarships for excellent players then that makes sense but to you it is negative. If he settles for lesser recruits just so he can satisfy people like you then you will blast him because he can't recruit the top players. If the team is not as good because he does that then you blast him for not recruiting better players. You make it sound like we have 7 seniors with no one coming back who could even hope to contribute.