Izik jammin'

Izik has skills there is no doubt. He had an awesome play against KSU too. Remember he chased down a man on a fast break and blocked the shot from behind? That was great. He will only get better and I am looking forward to it.

That's one thing I noticed about Izik Ohanon in the offseason. He tenses up in traffic, but in the open court, look out! He would thrive in a transition game, particularly if he were strictly a "small" forward and his team had two strong rebounders and a quick point guard. In fact, while I'm still living in this season and think Izik and the Bills can do some really nice things before the season's over, I'm salivating about seeing Ohanon playing with Dwayne Polk next year. Having seen Polk toss alley-oops to Curtis Muse numerous times this year, I can see Izik filling Muse's role.

JJ and DC continue to practice well and appear to be in good spirits. However, with SLU riding a four game winning streak, I don't foresee any changes in the sub-rotation, unless a blowout comes along.

I think what happens is most freshmen THINK they are practicing hard, working hard, focusing hard .......... and they really aren't giving 100% every minute/every day. Most freshmen really don't understand what "working hard" is all about! Sort of like in grade school or high school, when a parent told you/me we needed to study hard and we told them that we were, but in reality that we could have done a better and more consistent job with the books.

I think that gradeschool kids' own vision of their basketball play actually exemplifies your point even better. I'm working with 5th grade girls right now. My older daughter is in 8th grade. These kids all listen to you say "Don't stand still! Move around!" And they swear they are doing what you say. In fact, they plant themselves on the floor and don't move. Try to get them to jump for a rebound. If just one kid could actually jump they'd get 50% of the boards because the rest are all standing with 2 feet firmly on the floor. As players get older and play at a higher level the disparity between coaching suggestion and player execution must lessen significantly. My kids follow academic suggestions much, much better than athletic instruction. But their father had the same tendency as a kid!

You can say that about any player - when they are doing what they are suppose to do without thinking they are better. By the way - did JJ not get to practice last year so did he not get a chance to learn what it took to be viewed by Brad as going at a 100%? DC - first time through - I can kind of buy your statement with him.