Bernie is correct

bbill

Face it, he's right. Billiken fans and the administration are too willing to accept something slightly better than mediocrity:

1) SLU is not a premier academic instition. #78 in most recent national rankings.

2) Brad has not gotten a significant recruit in 2 years. Getting nobody in the key November signing period is shameful. He insisted that he needed to break ground on a new arena to improve recruiting. Well, where is the improvement???

3) We need to build a program to succeed for a number of years, not have an occasional tournament team. This requires consistent recruiting.

If this board (and fans in general) do not require more, the situation will not change.

>1) SLU is not a premier academic instition. #78 in most

>recent national rankings.

It is all relative. There are over 4,000 colleges and universities in the US alone, including over 2,500 four-year colleges and universities. In this context, being ranked 78 is pretty damn good. Nonetheless, SLU's ranking is on par or only slightly better than most of the flagship state universities.

Support your case with facts, not verbal slaps at Bernie or VTime.

It's difficult to admit that we have accepted being average. How is it that Shimmy recruited a #38 class after announcing the new arena? She is coaching a 7-20 team with no history of success.

Hold Brad accountable!

So recruits are to be judge even before they have played a full season. Ian would not have been a significant recruit by your standard.

Bernie has a lazy man viewpoint. He is entitiled to his viewpoint but not his own facts. I do have high expectations but I refuse to let the likes of knee jerk reactionaries like bernie dictate if I should support a team / coach. Bernie has done the bare minimum for his job he has stirred the pot, but what is actually new an interesting in what he wrote.....zip.

By the way for those who want to go back and have a laugh he was a huge supporter of Quin. He made the case for Brian gregory by sighting quin as an example of a daring program move. He dissed Brad as the safe, comfortable choice Bla Bla Bla.

Should all of the aged billiken fans get together and burn their mansiers? Sould we put Brad's head on a pike?

Bernie and vtime are verbally masturbating and spewing all over the place. I prefer to call a spade a spade.

Shimmy is probably a better recruiter than Brad. If Brad leads us to a losing record with no recruits to show a move forward, I'll start sharpening the pike. Till then, it appears SOMEHOW, Brad has us poised for a great season....

BRad is moving the program forward. It maybe slower than fata$$ bernie and you and even I would like. Tough nuggies to you bubba. I'm currently satisfied but not thrilled with our progress. That may or may not change with our record.....

PS Bernie started the name calling......

"1) SLU is not a premier academic instition. #78 in most recent national rankings."

Nice to see you begin your post by taking a BLATANT slap at the school; a slap that has nothing to do with basketball. So you obviously hate SLU. Go somewhere else and troll.......

Face it, Bernie hates SLU. He has made that abundantly clear again and again and again and again and again in the paper, on the radio, and in personal e-mails, so why does anyone who is a fan of SLU even listen to him? His opinion should be irrelevant because it is empirically biased. It would be like listening to Usama bin Laden and getting upset when he says something negative about the USA. It would be like asking a Michigan fan what they think of Ohio State. It would be like asking John Kerry what he thinks of George Bush. DUHHHHH!!!!

Of course "bbill" may well be the man who lacks the personal discipline to maintain a remotely healthy diet and/or fitness regimen.

PROUD NON-SUBSCRIBER TO THE POST-DISGRACE - ONE OF THE WEAKEST (AND FADING) NEWSPAPERS IN THE U.S.A. (sorry Joe)

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

There is nothing wrong with being #78. It is a good ranking. My issue is that academics are often cited as one reason SLU can't match up with top programs. Somehow other Catholic universities with similar/better academics do it (e.g., Marquette). My point is: don't use academics as a crutch.

I'm not Bernie, and I am an alum/fan/season ticketholder.

Just step back and look at recent recruiting efforts. Shouldn't we be seeing better results? Most top 200 players sign in November. We've gotten no recruits this November, and only Dustin last November. Why should we be content with that?

I would prefer to spend my limited days on this planet being excited about what might be rather than skulking around depressed, angry, and sour about things that are outside my control (hence, why I ignore Bernie boy and the Post). Just a lifestyle choice. I look at the Billikens, Saint Louis University, and Brad and see all kinds of upside, great recent strides, and fantastic, committed people. No time to dwell on the negatives.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

sorry Bernie Jr. but your logic does not work.

1. No one has ever said that SLU was the best college in America--but we do have some limitations that other higher ranked schools do not have:

a. Some schools let in jucos regardless of their transcript so long as they are eligible with the NCAA--SLU does not.

b. many "higher ranked" schools have PE majors that are filled with football and basketball players--SLU does not such a major

c. many "higher ranked" schools do not care a lick if they graduate the basketball players because they are often on a totally different academic track--SLU is very interested in having these young men graduate.

With all of that we have to compete and we have done so. We are not Duke and we will not be Duke but we have a good team with some star young players. And we have a coaching staff that cares about the kids, their education and their character. If you ever had to build anything in your life you would know that it takes more than just negative talk and criticism to get things done. It takes time, hard work and a positive belief. You and your dad bernie believe that the only way to make things happen is to sit in a chair and pound on some computer keys and spew insults.

2. Our two best recruits are just starting their sophomore year and we have a bunch of other young players that seem to have potential. You and your father Bernie have the same distorted view-- that no matter what SLU does it is worthless. How can you possibly write off all of the younger players? have you ever been to a practice? they look like they have some real potential. Only an idiot like Bernie would-- before they ever played a game in their college career-- declare the new recruits a complete bust. As I have said repeatedly on this board the test is not the guru BS about a recruit that is important--it is how they play when they get some experience and some college gained strength and muscle. Ian is a perfect example. You and your father Bernie would have undoubtedly declared him a compete bust in his freshman year.

3. The real Bills fans on this board are dying for an excellent season while you and your father focus on firing the coach even though we have played only one game in a season with great promise and the team looks very good. it is ridiculous drivel that the fans here are not passionate about the team and do not want them to succeed. But constant negativity is a poison and you and your father are delivering that poison to all who will listen. I refuse to drink!!!!!!

I think we are all dissapointed that we don't have a quality recruit signed as of today. We also realize that it is the results on the basketball court that count ...

There were so many other things Bernie could have written about as we enter a very promising season. If the fact that he chose to dog us instead doesn't piss you off just a little ... I have trouble understanding how you are a fan

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club

Pop just made a good comment over on his forum at stltoday.com -- small thinkers = small-time programs.

You've got to require consistent improvement, not bask in the glory of past recruits like Lisch and Liddell. Again, no recruits in the key November period after the new arena was announced. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a college program.

We have a beautiful campus, a state-of-the-art arena on the way, and a good academic institution. The only thing limiting us now is a coach who is not a strong recruiter.

I am glad you are over there and not me-- you can drink that poison.

You and your dad must be smoking something! We can't "bask in the glory of past recruits like Lisch and Liddell"--yikes-- they have only played one game into their sophomore year. they have three full years to go!

You make it sound like we are talking about Larry Hughes or Bonner or Douglas and Gray or Easy Ed! We are in the glory of the present! If you are a real Billiken fan like you claim, and as a son of Bernie I doubt that very much, then you should be excited about this young and talented team--not ripping it and its coach.

on the PD that are armchair fonts with little real support for

statements that spew from their pens.

You are just stirring the pot, right? Do you have season tickets? Watch the whole season to see if this year is more entertaining and produces a better record than last year. Maybe you will find

we are on the upswing and Ian, Tommie, and Kevin are three best players we have had on one team since Gray, Douglas, and Bonner played together. Horace Dixon is the real deal and if it were not for Brad's

loyalty to Seniors he would be getting lots of Luke Meyer's time. I am

really interested in how good Adam will be when he comes back. Bryce is better than last year as is Luke as is Polk. Why would we consider

your comments at the beginning of the season when we just beat Quncy by 24 points when they almost upset SIUC at home losing by 6.

By the way Marquette is not ranked as high academically as SLU and if it were not for the legacy of one coach Al Maquire the rest would not

have pulled them together for a fine run the last 25 years. AM was 60

years old when he had his run and turned announcer.

I haven't seen AK play due to injury; but HD looks like he could be the Carlos Skinner rebounder and can shoot and has good hands; he just needs game time so he doesn't play like a freshman; remember how Kevin Lisch played sparingly in the first semester last year?

Bernie finds it easier to report that St. Louis is smaller than New York and LA and so we don't have the money to compete in baseball,

He asked tough questions and good questions. But they should be put on the back burner until the end of this season...like a lot of us so called BB'ers have promised to do. One thing you can see developing this year is that Anderson is going to be the media darling in STL. Even if Mizzery has a losing season, he's going to get a pass because he's cleaning up Q's dirty kitchen. He saying all the right things and his players cannot say enough good about him. On the other hand, UB's going to be under intense scrutiny all season. He could end up getting praised to high heaven or damned to ex-coach's hell depending upon how it goes. If it goes South, I'd expect by February you'll be hearing he's not the guy, never should have been hired, SLU's got to get a real coach, etc. If so, it's going to hurt him with the class of 2008. "Yeah, I'd like to stay home and play in the shiny new arena, but who am I going to be playing for?", might be the question most asked by them.