2006-7 Blue Ribbon Yearbook rates the A-10

imo, Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook (384 pages), is the most informative of the pre-season publications.

Below is how they rated the A-10 for 2006-7. Last season's Blue Ribbon's pre-season ratings are in ( ).

1. Xavier(2)

2. SLU(12)

3. UMass(7)

4. Charlotte(3)

5. Fordham(8)

6. GWU(1)

7. Dayton(6)

8. St. Joes(5)

9. Temple(4)

10.LaSalle(10)

11.Richmond(11)

12.URI(9)

13.St. Bona(14)

14.Duquesne(13)

XU is the only program that clearly deserves a vote ahead of SLU in preseason, IMO, mostly on talent and track record last year.

But if there are 7 programs that deserve a vote ahead of St. Joe's, and if all 7 end up ahead of them by season's end, I will eat my hat at noon on a sunny day, in front of the Pine Gym.

I a conference where team talent is pretty similar, coaching is the key. Who has a better coach in our league than St. Joe's, now that Chaney is gone?

(I will resist the urge to sip some kool-aid and suggest audaciously that we do!)

i am perplexed by this one line in the write up:

"Liddell and Lisch have a chance to become the best guard tandem at Saint Louis since the mid-1980s."

what guard combination in the mid 80's are they talking about? one would have thought they would have compared them to waldman and claggett or else went back to the 70's teams that were pretty good. i dont remember back court tandem's in the 80's that compare.

even if you are counting gray/douglas/newberry as a mid 80's tandem when they had their day in the sun in the late 80's i would still take waldman/claggett/highmark over that, wouldnt you?

i agree with coach soderberg. and if we start seeing the return of luke meyer at pf and the four guard lineups again for extended periods of time, imo that will likely signal we are in trouble and no one from our pf's has sufficiently stepped up.

The quote by Brad regarding Luke is exactly what I have been saying for some time now along with others. Nobody every questioned Luke's desire, BB IQ, or heart but reality tells us that he was not going to be successful as a PF. Hopefully Brad will not change his mind and stick with the PFs we have until one of them gets it. If none of them rises to the top early on, he has to stick with it until some kind of combination at least delivers rebounds. Luke playing the PF position weakens us on the floor and any combination of PFs that can at least rebound will be better for the team.

UB is quoted as saying the following about Ian:

"He stepped out and shot at the NBA camp, and did it very well," Soderberg said. "We haven't used him in that capacity, but he opened my eyes to some things."

I'm not bashing, but how does a coach not know that a to-be senior has some shooting touch? Especially when that senior is your go-to guy? Did Ian not have any shooting touch last year?