Powell Questions

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>I guees leading the Nike Jamboree in scoring and getting

>invited to and playing in the NIke Camp mean nothing.

>You're right Powell is a bum. NOT!! It just looks as if he

>wants to play close to home.

If he led the Hoop Jamboree in scoring why wasn't he invited to the Nike Camp that year. He is the first person to lead the Hoop Jamboree in scoring and not get invited to the Nike Camp straight outta the Jamboree. And he is nowhere near 6'7"

>

>>I guees leading the Nike Jamboree in scoring and getting

>>invited to and playing in the NIke Camp mean nothing.

>>You're right Powell is a bum. NOT!! It just looks as if he

>>wants to play close to home.

>

>

>If he led the Hoop Jamboree in scoring why wasn't he invited

>to the Nike Camp that year. He is the first person to lead

>the Hoop Jamboree in scoring and not get invited to the Nike

>Camp straight outta the Jamboree. And he is nowhere near

>6'7"

so what are you gonna say when I find the link to him leading the jamboree in scoring.

Here is a link from a baylor fan forum. I will keep searching to find the original link that they got it from. I should've bookmarked the page when I found the results last year. http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/archive/i...hp/t-93838.html

Also, can anyone explain to me how a kid that was good enough for the Nike Camp and leads a state championship team in scoring only makes third team All-Metro in his own area? Is the area that rich in talent or is there some other reason? Also for the guy who said McNutt, Harrellson, Plackemeier, and Woodland were better seniors than Powell, what shoe company's camp were they at?

Just do not understand??

Unreal.... I have seen Leon play and is a very good basketball player.

St Louis should be all over him.

The problem is that your coach seems to not know talent.

So you may not have the luxury to take a Leon Powell because of his past recruitng.

That is the problem with your recruiting.

Do not try to say Leon Powell is not a talented basketball player thought.

His bad recruiting has the dreadful domino effect and his insight will probably not afford him to get talent like Powell.

He has very very good players right under your nose.

Most all in Illinois...second and third rated tier players that have gotten colleges into the Sweet Sixteen.

Have attended many games and have seen these basketball coaches at their Games,,not one game.

But not the coach at st louis.

Seems he doesnt get it.

Just be thankful that tommy and kevin droped in his lap.Yes dropped in his lap... With those 2 excellent basketball players....will he even goof that up with his recruiting and not letting them play?.. Alot think so

And enjoy the one ride while you can.

But do not say it was good recruiting,because jmo he hasnt a clue.

Will he ever know talent......from all the players that he is not seeing within 300 miles of him............dont think so.

basketballcountry said,

"Will he ever know talent......from all the players that he is not seeing within 300 miles of him............dont think so."

could you please provide this extensive list of players that coach soderberg "is not seeing"? i would be particularly interested in the illinois players you speak of. thanks in advance.

Here it is...and I would like an answer...

If Leon Powell is as spectacular as you and others say...and I'm not saying he isn't...why does he not have offers from SIU, Illinois, Missouri, UMKC, SMS, etc.? Why is Brad the only person to not offer?

My personal thoughts are this. Leon has "visited" SLU on more occations than any of those other schools...at least 6-7 reported on this board. By visit, I mean being in West Pine...playing pickup, speaking with coaches, roaming the halls. By all accounts, he is high on our radar. BUT, he has ONE offer. Why would that be? I'm guess ACADEMICS. My thoughts are that Brad (and everybody for that matter) do not want to give him a scholarship if he has no chance of showing up on campus (Brandon Morris, Antwan Alexander). Brad does not want to rescind scholarships...and as much as he obviously values a scholly, he does not want to be one down and not be able to offer somebody who DOES have the grades. Cause if he offers, Leon accepts and can't get into SLU, THEN he is EVEN FARTHER behind in recruiting. IMO, Brad said, "Look, Leon...we really want you at SLU. But you haven't been holding up your side of the bargain. As soon as you qualify, you have an offer to our institution. Until that happens, we can't do it. I'm sure you understand".

Plus, I can't really figure out why we want this guy. I mean, it's so late in the recruiting process and the kid has 1 offer. By the logic of several on this board, that means he can't be good. You're words, not mine.

What do you guys think?

But Leon Powell led the Nike Hoop Jamboree in scoring a couple years ago, so surely he must have offers from Duke, North Carolina, UConn and Kentucky to think about before considering a school like SLU.

On a serious note, some people think Powell is really good and some people think he's a good high school player who is a tweener at the next level. That's fine.

But it is interesting that apparently only one or two schools have offered so far.

I still think he'd be a good fit at Southern Illinois or possibly even Missouri, but those two schools have different circumstances with recruiting with SIU already having a bunch of commitments and Missouri not having scholarships available.

- Nate

This kid has been rubbing elbows with the kids and coaching staff practically everyday this summer. I think Leon would like to be at SLU and I think SLU would like to have him. Either that, or Brad just likes messing with peoples heads. That's not the case. IMO, it is fairly obvious between the TOTAL lack of offers and almost complete lack of recruiting hype that there is more than meets the eyes. It seems people are just too wrapped up in firing Brad that they can't see it. I mean, out of 320+ coaches, it appears these guys think Brad is the only one to be accountble for not offering.

From what I have read around the internet, i think he could be a great recruit for SLU. But he could for about 200 other schools as well. Why he isn't going to any of them (at this point) isn't Brads fault.

"...that there is more than meets the eyes. It seems people are just too wrapped up in firing Brad that they can't see it."

LOL. Imagine somebody not being able to see something that is more than meets the eye.

I personally don't get it. I've heard from a very good source that we have offered Powell. I've heard from many on this board that he wants to be at SLU and loves it there. So what else is going on?

Is it grades? Well, we've heard nothing about the scholarship offer being conditional and besides we have no intention or probability of using up all our available scholarships so there is no harm in him accepting the offer, even if he is a grades risk.

Is it somebody at Vashon? that seems unlikely given how much time he spends at SLU at that Bonner will now be the head coach.

So what are people talking about when they say there is more than meets the eye?

>Nate, I think he has a chance to be a really good D-1 player

>with a year or two in a college lifting program. I don't

>think he is an instant impact player.

Brian,

I agree with you, for the most part.

The strength thing is huge, but I think he's also got to get into the right program that best maximizes his ability to run up and down the floor. If he's standing around in the post, matched up with bigger bodies, I don't see him being very productive — at least not without a couple years of developing physcially.

Get him in the right type of system, work on improving his strength and his perimeter game and in a couple years it will be interesting to see what he can do.

- Nate

>If he led the Hoop Jamboree in scoring why wasn't he invited

>to the Nike Camp that year. He is the first person to lead

>the Hoop Jamboree in scoring and not get invited to the Nike

>Camp straight outta the Jamboree. And he is nowhere near

>6'7"

Powell was invited to the Nike Camp after his sophomore season. Bobby Hill was an alternate that year. I know a talent recruiter for the Nike Camp, and I was also in attendance that year. Powell's name was on the projected roster, but he was not on the official camp roster after the event stared. However, I'm not sure why Powell and Hill did not attend. I tried to ask around to see why he was not there, but I did not receive a clear answer.

>Here it is...and I would like an answer...

>

>If Leon Powell is as spectacular as you and others say...and

>I'm not saying he isn't...why does he not have offers from

>SIU, Illinois, Missouri, UMKC, SMS, etc.? Why is Brad the

>only person to not offer?

>

>My personal thoughts are this. Leon has "visited" SLU on

>more occations than any of those other schools...at least

>6-7 reported on this board. By visit, I mean being in West

>Pine...playing pickup, speaking with coaches, roaming the

>halls. By all accounts, he is high on our radar. BUT, he has

>ONE offer. Why would that be? I'm guess ACADEMICS. My

>thoughts are that Brad (and everybody for that matter) do

>not want to give him a scholarship if he has no chance of

>showing up on campus (Brandon Morris, Antwan Alexander).

>Brad does not want to rescind scholarships...and as much as

>he obviously values a scholly, he does not want to be one

>down and not be able to offer somebody who DOES have the

>grades. Cause if he offers, Leon accepts and can't get into

>SLU, THEN he is EVEN FARTHER behind in recruiting. IMO, Brad

>said, "Look, Leon...we really want you at SLU. But you

>haven't been holding up your side of the bargain. As soon as

>you qualify, you have an offer to our institution. Until

>that happens, we can't do it. I'm sure you understand".

>

>Plus, I can't really figure out why we want this guy. I

>mean, it's so late in the recruiting process and the kid has

>1 offer. By the logic of several on this board, that means

>he can't be good. You're words, not mine.

>

>What do you guys think?

He must have at least two offers, because we know Bradley offered and many on this board trust those who say Brad offered Leon. Did Brad offer or not?

>Not sure if that was a shot at me or not, but that was my

>original question...

>

>WHY is the "best uncommited player in the class of 2007" not

>attending a college? Seems like people want to say it is

>Brad's fault. But if that is the case, why is he still

>uncommited ANYWHERE?

There are a lot of guys still uncommitted, apparently all of the guys Brad is recruiting. SLU has zero commits for 2007. He could commit to Bradley or SLU tomorrow, who knows. If the sources are true that Brad has offered, then Leon has at least 2 offers. Also caleb troop of troopsports.com reported a few weeks ago that Anderson was planning to offer Powell with his lone scholarship. Leon just visited Mizzou 2 weeks ago, along with Cornelius Walker. This should be an interesting saga to keep track of. Powell is this year's Stemler. Lets hope we get him. Again, I've been told several times that grades arent the problem.

.. it all depends onthe NCAA Clearinghouse but in essence you are right. As Iunderstand it, its a combination of things. Didn't you say that Leon had like a 3.5 or something like that? Or maybe that was the Washington kid. Is this like the Maureece Rice and Omar Williams cases in Philly where they went to some "prep" school and viola, their GPAs are magnificent. Is there another problem with Leon in regards to the ACT/SAT that hasn't been said here? Nick Kern might have had the same problems and went the JUCO route. Maybe Curtis Muse as well.

Hey, dont' get me wrong, I don't know. All I'm saying I said above. A kid this "talented" and he has one offer? One offer? Just don't make sense. For some reason, I'm willing to bet he can't qualify.

>.. it all depends onthe NCAA Clearinghouse but in essence

>you are right. As Iunderstand it, its a combination of

>things. Didn't you say that Leon had like a 3.5 or

>something like that? Or maybe that was the Washington kid.

>Is this like the Maureece Rice and Omar Williams cases in

>Philly where they went to some "prep" school and viola,

>their GPAs are magnificent. Is there another problem with

>Leon in regards to the ACT/SAT that hasn't been said here?

>Nick Kern might have had the same problems and went the JUCO

>route. Maybe Curtis Muse as well.

>

>Hey, dont' get me wrong, I don't know. All I'm saying I

>said above. A kid this "talented" and he has one offer?

>One offer? Just don't make sense. For some reason, I'm

>willing to bet he can't qualify.

if slu offered, he has t least two offers because bradley offered. If Anderson had more than 1 available i'm sure he would've offered to. There could be offers we dont know about too. I hope he commits in the fsll. Johnny Hill didnt have the scores either, but he made a way instead of copping out the JUCO route. Powell would go prep school and recommit to SLU if anything. Terrence Williams has like 10-15 D1 offers. I dont remember if SLU offered or not, but if he doesnt qualify, he's going to prep school for sure. Nate laughed at me last summer because he was coming off a JV season, but he kept growing and showed a lot of potential in AAU this past summer. I'm interested in the development of Powell's teammate Alburey Doss. Some say he's 6'5, he's at least 6'4. Big strong kid at well over 200lbs, outstanding defender with good fundamentals and continues to develop his range.

>Nate laughed at me last summer because he was coming off a

>JV season, but he kept growing and showed a lot of potential

>in AAU this past summer.

I was one of the first people on this board to mention Terrance Williams and post about him.

Now, you're saying I was laughing at you about him?

You need to quit making up stuff to try to discredit me.

And while you're at it, you need to stop pretending to be me on Ramey's website.

- Nate