Tommie Liddell

TDELL

I havent been on this board for a while,any rumors on Tommie lately?Just to update you guys if you dont already know,a couple of weeks ago the San Antonio Spurs called SLU about Tommie, they are very intersted,they asked if he was going to leave school early,and they will be watching him this year...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

besides kevin and tommie not counting, ian doesnt count either as we just fell into him. appaently just showed up in the gym one day.

the only recruit soderberg gets credit for is darren clarke.

>I havent been on this board for a while,any rumors on Tommie

>lately?Just to update you guys if you dont already know,a

>couple of weeks ago the San Antonio Spurs called SLU about

>Tommie, they are very intersted,they asked if he was going

>to leave school early,and they will be watching him this

>year...

Got a Q. for you Mr. Liddell. Was wondering whether and how often Tommie was doing shooting drills this summer? If he can add a perimeter game to his other weapons and skills ... the thought gives me a smile.

Why be upset about the Spurs interest? This is good for TL, if indeed he's ready for NBA play, and good for the school. The more SLU alum we can point to in the NBA should help recruiting better players. That said, I don't think he's ready due to his shooting skills. Also, would hate to see him jump ship when he would be a big contributor to our success, but if the opportunity is right,late first round pick which is what they'd have, good luck to TL.

>Does this phone call from the Spurs bother anyone else? What

>is the purpose? I don't want TL thinking about the NBA as we

>start the season. Or am I missing the point. Is the phone

>call a motivator, or a distraction?

My first thought was that this phone call was a bad thing because it could get Liddell thinking about the NBA rather than improving his game (specifically his jumper), focusing on the team and focusing on his schoolwork.

I want to see Tommie Liddell in the NBA, but not until he's ready. If he were to leave before he's ready — and I think there are a lot of times when people can get in a kid's ear and convince him he's ready before he really is — I'd hate to see him be a second-round pick (no guaranteed money) or not get drafted and then struggle to make a career for himself.

Unless he grows another six inches, Liddell is not going to be like Darius Miles and command a huge contract and be set for life without ever accomplishing anything. Liddell definitely has a chance to play in the NBA, but he has to keep working and improving. Hopefully he is motivated by this phone call and not distracted.

- Nate

>Hopefully Tommie wouldn't consider leaving unless he was a

>first round pick. If he has improved that much, this is

>going to be a hell of a year for the Billikens. Possible 2

>first round picks? Has that ever happened at SLU? Yeah, Brad

>sucks at evaluating talent...

If Brad has two first round picks on this roster and he can't get SLU to the dance then he may be great at evaluating talent but he is a horrible coach. Time will tell. At this point I don't think he is great or horrible at either.

Tommie is well on his way to being prime NBA material. It always astounded me how he would come out of no where--and over Ian's head--to pick up a rebound. I know his shooting skills need to improve a bit, but he is an all-around team player, never too selfish with the ball. Granted, that selflessness was a little bit of a problem last year, but if he continues to allow himself to take those shots (and better yet make them), it won't be just the Spurs with their eye on him.

I graduate in May, so as long as he's here through this season and can help get us to the Big Dance, he can do whatever he wants next year :)

The only thing I wonder is what kind of an effect will this have on our players: maybe this will light a fire under their butts (*cough* JJ *cough*) knowing multiple NBA scouts are looking at the Billikens this year.

Not sure how this makes Soderberg great at evaluating talent. Ian Vouyoukas sent in game tape to SLU, the connection being Lance Randal. It is not like Brad went over to Greece and found this diamond in the rough. Ian signed with SLU pretty much blindly and having nothing to do with Brad Soderberg. As far as Tommie Liddell, how hard was it for the staff to evaluate his talent? The issue was not with his ability, but with his academics. Tommie would have been recruited by whoever the coach was at SLU. I usually measure a coach on his ability to evaluate talent by the guys he signs who were not highly regarded and actively recruited, but who come in and make an impact. Anyone could have seen that Tommie and Kevin were quality players.

Bluecrewprez, you're in for life and you will care about what he and the Bills do next year. You'll be scouring the message board for info about the newest recruits and any hot rumors. It's in your blood now, take it from the rest of the losers/fans checking in every day. I do proudly count myself among the losers, by the way.

Ok, so you are saying that if I send a tape to coach, he'll sign me? Of course he had a connection to an assistant. Do you think Rick Pitino finds the players he wants?? No, the assistants do.

Anybody could see Kevin and Tommie were quality players? How many scholarships did these guys have? My recollection was not the 10-20 they should have since everybody knew they were so good. All I'm saying is for a guy who can't recruit and can't evaluate talent, it's amazing that we could have two NBA'ers (IV and Tommie) on the team. It doesn't matter how you get there. Look at Jim Furyk. How many people take a look at his swing and discount him? But he would still beat a 4 man billikens.com scramble any day.

>>Does this phone call from the Spurs bother anyone else? What

>>is the purpose? I don't want TL thinking about the NBA as we

>>start the season. Or am I missing the point. Is the phone

>>call a motivator, or a distraction?

>

>My first thought was that this phone call was a bad thing

>because it could get Liddell thinking about the NBA rather

>than improving his game (specifically his jumper), focusing

>on the team and focusing on his schoolwork.

>

>I want to see Tommie Liddell in the NBA, but not until he's

>ready. If he were to leave before he's ready — and I think

>there are a lot of times when people can get in a kid's ear

>and convince him he's ready before he really is — I'd hate

>to see him be a second-round pick (no guaranteed money) or

>not get drafted and then struggle to make a career for

>himself.

>

>Unless he grows another six inches, Liddell is not going to

>be like Darius Miles and command a huge contract and be set

>for life without ever accomplishing anything. Liddell

>definitely has a chance to play in the NBA, but he has to

>keep working and improving. Hopefully he is motivated by

>this phone call and not distracted.

>

>- Nate

Though Miles is no superstar, he's never averaged less than 9 ppg in a season. He was the first player to be named First team all-rookie after coming directly from high school. Last year he was averaging 18pts, 8 rebs, and 4 asts per game before the injury. He also scored 47 on the Nuggets in 2005.

>Ok, so you are saying that if I send a tape to coach, he'll

>sign me? Of course he had a connection to an assistant. Do

>you think Rick Pitino finds the players he wants?? No, the

>assistants do.

>

>Anybody could see Kevin and Tommie were quality players? How

>many scholarships did these guys have? My recollection was

>not the 10-20 they should have since everybody knew they

>were so good. All I'm saying is for a guy who can't recruit

>and can't evaluate talent, it's amazing that we could have

>two NBA'ers (IV and Tommie) on the team. It doesn't matter

>how you get there. Look at Jim Furyk. How many people take a

>look at his swing and discount him? But he would still beat

>a 4 man billikens.com scramble any day.

If Tommie cant shoot, he'll never make the NBA. There are a lot of guys who jump way higher than Tommie. He's a good athlete, but not a freakish athlete, especially for 6'4-6'5 height. He doesnt do anything that a modest athlete like Brandon Roy can do. Tommie is a polished run your team pg, but he could be another Brandon Roy if he really, really worked on his jumper and turn into a killer. Somebody's gotta turn him into a killer out there. Avery Johnson lit a fire under Dirk and turned him into a conscious rebounder and defender. Maybe he Brad can turn Tommie into a lethal go-to-scorer.

All I am saying is that Soderberg did not find diamonds in the rough with Ian and Tommie. Kevin would have had 10-20 offers had he played AAU ball. Kevin was receiving interest from some high-major programs including Illinois, Notre Dame, and someone on this board mentioned Kansas to some extent late in the game. Tommie had some academic issues, but I am sure still received his share of offers. I just think the complimenting of coach and his ability to evaluate talent based on these cases is a little misdirected. I credit him with signing these quality players, but it wasn't because he has a noise for finding talent. Anyone can evaluate a top 150-200 player in the country and determine that they have the talent to play for SLU. I understand recruiting and that its the job of the assistants to bring in the talent and then the headcoach makes a final decision on whether or not an offer should be extended, I know how it works trust me.

cagin, if i read your post correctly, you dont want to give coach soderberg credit for evaluating the talent of our big three because that was obvious. if that is true, then you have to give him credit for getting all three to come to slu. i.e. he did a great job of recruiting them. cant have it both ways. either he saw something no one else did and thus had it easy to sign them, or since apparently a lot could have seen the talent they had he did a good job convincing the three of them to come to slu.

>>Unless he grows another six inches, Liddell is not going to

>>be like Darius Miles and command a huge contract and be set

>>for life without ever accomplishing anything. Liddell

>>definitely has a chance to play in the NBA, but he has to

>>keep working and improving. Hopefully he is motivated by

>>this phone call and not distracted.

>>

>>- Nate

>

>

>Though Miles is no superstar, he's never averaged less than

>9 ppg in a season. He was the first player to be named

>First team all-rookie after coming directly from high

>school. Last year he was averaging 18pts, 8 rebs, and 4

>asts per game before the injury. He also scored 47 on the

>Nuggets in 2005.

Vtime, Nate wasn't knocking Darius Miles's accomplishment in the NBA. He wasn't saying he's never nor will ever be a good NBA player. What Nate said is that Miles managed to get to the NBA despite not really accomplishing anything before hand. In other words, he didn't win any state championships in high school, and he definitely didn't win any conference or NCAA championships or receive any college accolades.