First-day-of-practice golf

bonwich

I'll play. If you're referring to that fine institution on Oakland Aveneue, I also attended the same college and high school as Willie and Bonwich. I believe there are a few other board regulars who can boast the same.

Gateway National - close to SLU, closer to downtown, close to the eastside for Illinois fans. Great course. Not sure on the price as I have only played there for tournaments and one other time that was too long ago for me to remember the cost.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

i just want whomever lines it up to make sure the course knows we want to play the full 18. forrest park acted like they didnt know we wanted to do that last time and booted us after 9. of course most of us hit the same number of shots as real golfers do in 18, but that is another story.

I know I'm dreamin', but wouldn't it be cool if we could get Brad or an assistant coach, Shimmy, Cheryl, Earl, Rammer, or whoever to join us? Or just meet us afterwards for an informal update and to get us really pumped up for the season? I realize they'll probably be practicing then, but it would be neat.

I'm in. Gateway, Forest Park, or Normandie is OK with me.

Forest Park is about $50. I believe Normandie will be into their winter rates, which is something like $25 for 18 with a cart after 12:00.

For those who haven't played Normandie, it is a decent course on rolling hills off 170 and St. Charles Rock Road (a few miles North of Clayton and Southeast of the airport).

I nominate Bonwich to be in charge this year.

I'm glad to hear Forest Park has been renovated. I always thought the hole on art hill was the signature spot in SL before the arch was built. Is the hole along Skinker still 600+ yards par 6? It used to kill me. I remember playing it in the autumn and losing balls in the fairway bacause of all the leaves. We gave up after turning over a hundred or so, dropped a new ball, hit it a few hundred yards further IN THE FAIRWAY and lost it under the leaves! This was in the days before blowers, so I imagine it's not the same now.

They spend close to $13 million renovated the course. The art hill hole is gone completely. They have renovated art hill and the pond below into the "Grand Basin," which is reminiscent of the world's fair design.

Check it out here: http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp605/html/...dDiederich.html and here: http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/parks/.../GrandBasin.pdf

While they eliminated the 650 yeard skinker hole, the 9th hole on one of the new courses is now comparable in length.

Here is info regarding the golf course: http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/parks/...tpark/golf.html

that is the exact reason I don't want to play FP. I hit so few in the fairway, but when I do, I want to find my freakin ball. If they do blow it ... some one needs to let them know they should blow the leaves off the course, not on. Hell, I'm not sure if there was grass.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

The reason the big trees with the big leaves are along Skinker is to knock down errant shots like yours Skip before they hit a car. I remember a bad slice I hit once that wound up across Skinker on the front lawn of a church. I figured it was a miracle, so I played the lie and hit a great middle iron over the trees and back on the fairway and saved the penalty stroke.

We were in high school back then and never played the 1st or 18th holes. Thank you Mr. Probstein for the upgrade to the course. And thanks Nark for the link.