Billiken Club Meeting

crymdg2

Anyone know who the guest speakers are going to be? Hopefully we'll get an update on how the arena is progressing and maybe some info as to how the team is looking/progressing. I'm looking forward towards my first meeting should be a fun time.

That's odd, I'm a new member and have heard nothing about the meeting. Can anyone tell me when and where it is and if you can bring a guest? Thanks!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Thanks for the help Roy! I'll try to make it tonight and of course I'll be trying to convince my friend to become a member. :)

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

It is a Club that supports Billiken sports financially and in a variety of other ways. Membership has a variety of levels - the cheapest being $125. These meetings while technically are for all sports they really do focus on basketball. You get invited to the monthly meetings, are sent other info about events, are invited to the Christmas Party at the Savvis before the game, and your membership is tax deductible if that is important. The Club is where Cherly gets the discretionary money she can use to support all the sports. For example, I am joing the Captain's level up from the Starter because I as she said, the more money the Club raises the money she can give the coaches for leasing planes for recruiting purposes, pay for cell phones, enhance the quality of experiences for the athletes at SLU. Also, your membership adds to your ranking for buying season tix. Hope this helps.

i have found the monthly meetings to be very good. not only does humphrey's do a wonderful job with the little buffet they set up, our glorious club president(s) always seem to line up the right coaches to give us a peak into what is going on in their respective programs and occasionally bring in an outside speaker as well that is always well received. in the past we have had numerous chats with earl austin jr, bob ramsey has been a guest, stu durando was there once, i believe we even had the old commish from cusa there one time.

of course it is always fun to discuss the billikens with other hardcore fans before and after the meeting as well.

last, keep in mind, cheryl levick has now said on a number of occasions that in the future, billiken club points will be the sole basis for determining our seniority points when selecting seats to the new arena and for determining tourney tickets etc.

Roy, Billiken Club membership will not be the sole determiner for season tix. The way it was explained to me by Margo recently was that those Club members will be given first crack based on their points ranking for season tix. After Club members have bought their tix then the remaining non Club members who have a season tix ranking will then go. So, there is an advantage to being a Club member even for one year. If I misunderstood then someone can set me straight.

or that wants a decent seat in the new arena will likely sign up for the Billiken Club. If you have been a season ticket holder for 20 years but never a Billiken club member you'd be insane to not join the Club during the last year for $125 otherwise you'll be moved to the back of the line.

I would suspect that by the time the seats are chosen something like 80% of season ticket holders will be Billiken Club members for just that reason. Maybe i'm wrong and a one time fee of $125 is too much for people, but I still believe if you have decent seats and want to keep those you'll reach into your pocket and make the tax-deductible donation.

Here's the university's take:

"As an athletics representative, you are not precluded from continuing friendships with the families of prospective or enrolled student-athletes. You simply cannot encourage a prospect's participation in a specific institution's athletics program or provide benefits to student-athletes that you were not providing before they became prospects or enrolled student-athletes."

So if my nephew was good enough, I couldn't encourage him to go to SLU. How stupid and unenforceable is that. Too bad I don't have a relative good enough. I'd donate to Cincy ... encourage him to go there and then have someone else turn me in.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

> So if my nephew was good enough, I couldn't encourage him

>to go to SLU. How stupid and unenforceable is that. Too bad

>I don't have a relative good enough. I'd donate to Cincy ...

>encourage him to go there and then have someone else turn me

>in.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H

>Waldman

There are exceptions for family and pre-existing relationships. However, the onus is on the school and the booster to prove the pre-existing relationship and that it is a legit one. For example, if you wife's second cousin turns out to be a stud hoops player and you never had a relationship with him before then you'd have to relent. However, if your son or nephew or even a more distant relative whom you have been close to for years is being recruited then you're OK.

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

They only had 25, but I'm sure the website will be updated soon. One thing I didn't mention on my other post was the TV schedule for this year. It's up in the air (no pun intended) because the A10 contract has been awarded to a firm who has to make all the individual arrangements for each home team. Right now in SL, nothing is firm. Cheryl suggested that if you have Charter, call them and tell them you only subscribe to them because they carry Billiken hoops.