CHN preview at 67

slu72

you guys are all missing the points so well made by our common sense helpers like hardball and billsboys and vtime that we have a worthless coach and staff that cant coach and recruit, and an athletic dept that doesnt want to win and is too cheap, and a university president that is too well versed on double speak to possibly believe that a top 50 pre-season rating by anyone is possible. what are guys thinking?

Top 40's? Are you nuts. The team finished only 3 games above .500 and tanked at the end of the season. Its not a team that ended last season on a high note or with momentum. There are no stud freshman coming in this season like we had last season that would guarantee additional victories. Top 40's. Get real. They didnt make the top 64 or the NCAA tourney last year and didnt even get invited to the NIT. The NIT! Take off your rose colored glasses please!

Well, we won't be listed on their top 40 because they already came out with a top 40 and we weren't in it. But we'll be in the 40's if they think we make the tourney.

I find it amusing V-Time told somebody to take off their rose colored glasses. This coming from a guy who thinks Vashon could beat the majority of D-1 teams and 50% of the players in St. Louis area are high D-1 material.

The top 40 was done by a different writer. Once again, they may compare notes; they may not. They may agree, they may disagree. SLU may be in the top 40 (and I suppose they may be out of the top 144); there is nothing in the way this is being done that precludes that.

Mr. V--

really, it would help if you worked on your reading comprehension.

first, I said in the 40s. that is anywhere from 40-49.

second, is it really nuts to have us in the top 49 preseason? give ME a break. And by the way, we did add 3 quality freshmen. Maybe they are not STUD ATHLETES, which you seem to prefer-- translation--great vertical leap but very low on the basketball IQ meter.

It is probably true -- none of our freshmen will ever play on the Team USA. However, it is possible they will learn to play defense, and not take wild and erratic shots from the field.

I truly believe this is now a top-50 team. time will tell. Is that really such a huge imaginative leap for some of you??

While you may be right about their lack of collaboration, I would lean towards there being more "overlap" than you seem to think. I don't know if you're a fantasy sports player, but you read a few articles and they all end up saying the same thing. Especially true when it's the same publication or website.

So if these are completely different writers, what you say it is true, we might see completely different thoughts. But I would guess that if one of these guys from this site has us in the tourney, the other is probably thinking something around those lines as well and would have us in the same boat or at least on the same river.

Vtime your opinion is pretty much worthless. Considering you think the US has just been unlucky in the FIBA world championships since 1994. US Basketalls motto should be : Team USA, building on a decade plus of bad luck. V, your racist views on basketball must really be getting bruised by all the white guys that keep getting to put that gold medal around their necks.

Actually, Horace Dixon is, apparently, a stud athlete. We've already had one eyewitness account of his being "freakishly athletic," and Coach Soderberg said that Dixon would be, immediately, the best athlete on the team. Well, since Tommie Liddell is already a stud athlete, then if Dixon is more athletic... whew! Now, whether or not Dixon has basketball skills is something we've yet to see.

"There are no stud freshman coming in this season like we

had last season that would guarantee additional victories".

Seriously, does this stuff just comes out. Those stud freshmen from last year will now be stud sophomores. This team also is anchored in the middle by Ian. We don't need a stud freshmen to come in an dominate. All we need is for our big 3 to continue their improvement and either Obi, Horace, or Adam to earn 20-25 minutes of PT.

Who has seen Horace Dixon play? From what I have seen he is nothing more than another JJ. He can jump, but he does not move real fluidly and seems to lack coordination. He is also extremely thin. This to go along with the fact that he is going to struggle to remain eligible throughout his career. I am not sure Horace is the answer at all. I would recommend people look to Adam Knollmeyer as a player who can contribute solid minutes at power forward.

I really hate it when people make statements like, "This to go along with the fact that he is going to struggle to remain eligible throughout his career."

Maybe you know Horace. Maybe not. The point is that NO ONE, probably not even Horace, knows that he will struggle academically. I think your post is unfair and pretty irresponsible. You are a short timer on the board and seem likely to join the crowd of ignorant bashers. Sad.

It is a cold fact my friend. Why do you think Horace was still available to us this summer? The answer is that few other schools thought he would become eligible and pursued other players, SLU is one of the few schools that saves all of its scholarships for just such a case. I just don't want you all to get your hopes up on this kid when he has similar ability to JJ and academic question marks.

We'll have to wait and see whether you are right or whether you are the next in a long line of anonymous internet haters, stirring stuff up to make your sad pathetic life a little bit less dull......

Predicting the future doesn't involve "cold facts." It is idle, possibly informed (possibly not), speculation.

>Who has seen Horace Dixon play? From what I have seen he is

>nothing more than another JJ.

Let's also wait until we've seen the kid play one game before we suggest he's the next JJ. He might be, but completely unfounded predictions like that are just ridiculous.

I don't think many people on here questioned JJ's ability to play basketball. Personally, I think JJ has all the skills necessary to be a very solid D1 power forward. The problem is he doesn't appear to want to work for it. Horace himself said he loves to play defense and seems to have a solid work ethic. That's all we ever wanted out of JJ.

Ragincajun, give us evidence of HD's lack of ability, as in you've seen it, and his struggle to stay in school. As for JJ, he's a loose cannon who forgets what is told to him in practice and in the huddle. He then does his own thing, ala Villenueva, and promptly gets yanked. If he understood his role and embraced it, JJ would have been a starter last year and a lock for this year. How about Obi, is he our next Floyd McLain?

we have dipped pretty low when we are writing off a freshman, sight unseen, 2 months before the first exhibition games. give me a break! what would you have said about Ian 4 years back?

anyway, I am not an "insider" and I have not seen HD play --though I have seen him in person on campus and he is one long and lean drink of water. But I have spoken to several of the players about him, and they give glowing reports.

Obviously they have high hopes for young HD, and though it may dismay you, I value their opinions much above yours-- so go away and eat some oysters or crawdads or gumbo, ragin' cajun person!

Next time I am back home in Lafayette, LA I will have to get some gumbo and good ol cajun food and bring it up for all of the board members to enjoy prior to a game. I made no claim of being an insider, my opinions are based on what I see. I am not bashing the team, I just have seen some things and know some things about Mr. Dixon that would make me at least question his immediate impact, I honestly would not be surprised to see him red-shirt.

I do not have much of an opinion on Obi yet, for me the book remains out on him. He appears to have very soft touch, but I have not gotten a real good feel for his game yet and if he is where he was prior to the injury.

Anyone who had consistently seen JJ play would not have ever thought he would produce at this level. He was completely overmatched from day one and continues to be. There is more to making a quality basketball player than being able to dunk with authority running thru the layup line. JJ is what I would call an "All Airport" player. He looks like he should be good, but as soon as you see him run up and down the court a few times you realize he just is not a player.

Anyone who saw Ian in practice, even early on, knew he was going to be a player. He showed flashes of being a great player from day 1. It took him time to adjust to the American game, but the upperclassmen pegged him as a potential NBA player early on.

I have not seen Dixon play so I will accept that most know very little about his ability. I also remember Brad saying when he signed Newbourne that we were now much more athletic because of him. Anybody would agree that VN was anything but athletic so I took Brad's comment with a grain of salt about Dixon. Dixon may have to redshirt - what is wrong with that? Lots of kids redshirt to get stronger. As far as his academic situation goes, we were told that he did well in the summer session and had good grades at the prep school he came from so there is no reason to believe he will struggle academically. Lets just wait to see what happens when practice starts. Adam and Obi can fill the void and JJ is always a possibility - slim but still possible. By the way, when a poster says "I know things that you don't know" - well that is just silly. If you know something than share it - if you can not share then be a gentleman and not intimate that you know something. It always sounds a little immature when I see that.