Former SLU assistant Anthony Beane to coach in PHL

VTIME

>Well, I guess AB's fling in the business world didn't go to

>well for him. Good luck to him, hope he develops some talent

>and sends it our way. Soldan International? Pretty

>impressive name for a high school.

What? Being a coach for a high-school team is not a full-time job. There's almost no reason why Anthony Beane couldn't still be working on his business endeavor and still coach Soldan.

Slam Dunk

Do the Freak

We just broke your Winnin' Streak!

My fond memory of Soldan. SLUH was 19 - 0 headin' into that game played at Gateway Tech. Soldan got us. It was a heck of a game. Ah, the good 'ole days...had to be around '81 or '82.

>Soldan is a magnet too, which probably doesn't help its

>cause. Gateway Tech seems to have decent teams, but the

>other magnets seem to struggle.

What's the status on the deseg program. Has it ended or is it ending soon? The end of the deseg program would keep the top athletes in the conference and would mean big things for the PHL conference tht was once king.

vtime said,

"What's the status on the deseg program. Has it ended or is it ending soon? The end of the deseg program would keep the top athletes in the conference and would mean big things for the PHL conference tht was once king."

vtime, do you believe that the kids participating in the busing program are getting a better academic education now or when they return to the inner city schools?

what is more important basketball or academics?

Vtime - the Deseg program is no longer supported and has not been for a few years now by the State of MO. The State and the districts in the lawsuit agreed to a one time payment from the MO which was projected to last another 12-15 years at the time. The program has lost some state money as all districts have and is blowing through the money at a faster rate. A year or two ago, any district could have opted out of the program provided they gave 3 years notice and kept all their current deseg kids who wanted to stay. Any district can stay in the program indefinitely but they would have to pick up the costs not reimbursed to them. Will the program end soon - no. Will it end eventually - yes. It will a few more years before the PHL sees the full benefit they had prior to the program. Lets also point out that when the deseg program came about, there was 50,000 plus students in the St. Louis City Schools now there is about 32,000 - an ever growing non black population - Asians, Bosnians, and Latinos. The deseg program probably only has 7-8,000 kids in it - just an educated guess - so you might see better soccer teams before bb teams.

The desegregation kids, with the exception of Clayton High School, did WORSE in the county schools than the city schools. I learned about this when I attended a Clayton School Board meeting a couple of years ago.

I attribute it to the kids being bussed from long distances; difficulty in parents getting any interaction with the teachers; and the county teachers not being able to establish a trusting relationship with the deseg students.

did worse in what context? as compared to their new schoolmates? they should. they were miles behind when they switched schools likely. the material that they would have been exposed to at the public inner city schools was likely not at the level and extent they walked into.

that said, the extent of where they would be by the end of their high school career would have been miles ahead of where they were getting grades given to them before.

Sorry AJ, whatever you thought you heard at the Clayton School Board meeting was not accurate. The data is clear that a higher % of deseg kids who attended county schools graduated from high school than their peers in the City schools. The data also clearly shows that those deseg students did not perform or improve at the same level of black students who were resident students of the county districts in the program nor at the same level of the non-black resident students. For a variety of complex reasons, Clayton has opted out of the deseg program so what you may have heard is their discussion to rationalize why they were leaving - money was a big reason just like it was for Ladue when the change was made in funding.

>Well, I guess AB's fling in the business world didn't go to

>well for him. Good luck to him, hope he develops some talent

>and sends it our way. Soldan International? Pretty

>impressive name for a high school.

As I posted when Beane was asked to resign. He had no other buisness oppertunity. If you like you can go back and check the archives, he never had another oppertunity. I am glad he got something. This was a spin job when he was let go.

>did worse in what context? as compared to their new

>schoolmates? they should. they were miles behind when they

>switched schools likely. the material that they would have

>been exposed to at the public inner city schools was likely

>not at the level and extent they walked into.

>

>that said, the extent of where they would be by the end of

>their high school career would have been miles ahead of

>where they were getting grades given to them before.

I'm not sure if its the material they are exposed to. I got the same grades at Whitfield that I did at Normandy. The personal attention you get from smaller classes is the difference. ALL of the city schools are overcrowded which leads to kids falling through the craack as well as disciplinary problems.

V-Time. That is so wrong.

Do you think that the education and the opportunities provided for life (not just sports) are better at a public St Louis school or at a Parkway, Rockwood, Kirkwood or Webster school? Remember, sports prepares a person for a job if they happen to be one of the less than 1% of students that might get an opportunity for a professional sports career. Education prepares a person for the rest of their life. Would you want your children to be prepared to play professional sports, knowing that the chances are less than 1%, or to be prepared for life?

For example. Players were recently cut by the Rams. If they concentrated solely on sports and not education, they will have very difficult times for the rest of their lives. If they concentrated on education first and sports second, then they will have a chance at living a good life beyond sports.