Recruiting

He does have a point, Skip. We're 3 months from LOI day, and we haven't received a verbal or even a positive statement,ie "I really liked St.Louis", from anyone we're after. Now what are we to conclude? It's still too early? The kids we want are using us as a fallback? UB's typical national security need to know approach? We supposedly have posters on here that have some inside knowledge of the program, yet no one's posted we're even close to landing any of our offereds. Maybe because they don't want to blow their cover with UB? My bet is we'll sign a couple of kids in November, but they'll be Horace Dixon types....complete surprises not even a blip on anyone's radar screen. What I hope this post accomplishes is one of "the insiders" replies with "relax, you're gonna be pleasantly surprised."

word on the street is that brandenburg will be on campus for an unofficial this weekend.

the entire suggs family was on campus last week and jake kelly was in for a day (on an unofficial). I'm not terribly optimistic about that one.

the word is also that several more visits have been set up this fall, including Leon Powell in a couple of weeks and I saw the earlier report by a poster about the kid from georgia coming in late september.

where this will all lead to, it's anybody guess. hopefully, we can get some positive results.

bad boyz for life

It is unlikely that you will see many early committments for SLU if the players they are recruiting are only now scheduling official visits. 72 does make a good point that perhaps the reason is that we are the fall back for some of these kids. Either way, the good news is that it is unlikely that all of them will get their first choice.

>I really do not follow SIU that closely - what kind of a

>recruiting class did they get.

One stud forward 6'8 235 Carlton Fay. Plays small HS ball in IL but competes with the best of the best in the AAU circuit. Matt Shaw type game, only a couple inches taller.

One project center 6'10 235 Nick Evans. Also plays small HS ball in IL. Home schooled his first two years of HS. Needs a lot of work, but might be a diamond in the rough down the road.

One combo guard 6'3 175 Brandon Wood. Plays top level HS ball in IN. SIU offered very early, they must see something they really like.

that wasnt a joke.

you should move to carbondale. you obviously hate your life around here and the billikens and obviously think that siu is utopia so go good luck.

SLU caught SIU at the best possible time when SIU was playing awful basketball. SIU was coming off of loses to Monmouth and Alaska-Anchorage and a win against Eastern Washington, they were down the whole game until under 10 minutes. In the game against SLU, SIU shot 28.3% and 11.8% from 3-point land. I would be careful making too many comments about SLU vs. SIU based on that game.

btw, It is possible that we do have one or more commitments. I am not claiming any special knowledge, just pointing out that it may be incorrect to argue that we have no commitments.

I know for a fact that the SLU program will not announce, or leak, commitments (which I believe is against NCAA rules for a school to do).

Technically, unless the recruit contacts the press, everything else is just hearsay and of course legally non-binding anyway.

Some high schoolers just do not announce a commitment, or a strong likelihood of signing. So who knows? My hunch is the insiders have a good idea of the fall crop, and my hunch is also that we will all be surprised with some good news. Just have to be patient.

As far as trash talk, I can talk trash all day and I usually do down here in Houston. I was just saying to be careful about drawing too many conclusions based on that one game. We are going to their home this year and I don't want you to possibly eat your words because you think the Billikens are that much better than SIU based on the game last year.

Not to take away from SLU, but SIU was very good last year, and we managed to beat them while they were down. Nothing wrong with that, and I think we played well, and also caused them to falter to a degree. I'd like to see it happen again this year.

However, look at our games against Dayton last year, and you're a fool if you think Dayton was a better team than us.

no bitterness. just think you saluki fans should stay in your own house. no need to come to our message board.