Tyus committed to Florida

VTIME

V if you're expecting people to bash UB for not landing Tyus it ain't gonna happen. We probably never had an ice cube's chance in hell of landing him to begin with. Now if all those frontcourt Gators suck next year and decide to stay in Gainesville, maybe he would consider a transfer....a joke...just kidding.

why do we care about tyus. he abandoned st louis long ago and there was never a reason to expect him to come back here for college. following him as a fan would be akin to following johnny martin from los angeles.

>why do we care about tyus. he abandoned st louis long ago

>and there was never a reason to expect him to come back here

>for college. following him as a fan would be akin to

>following johnny martin from los angeles.

We care about Tyus because he's another high-major recruit that we might have had a shot with. Even though he "abandoned" St. Louis, it's still home. I don't think anyone was counting on him signing here, but it would have been a mistake not to recruit him at all. I would have definitely given him an offer and kept in constant contact with him.

Once again, the program isn't going to get much better if we never even try to recruit major-talent players with St. Louis ties.

We recruited him. He showed up at games and midnite madness. Soderberg was in touch and most likely made an offer, but this kid had his sights set on high majors since his freshman year at Haz Central. That is why he left the area, he felt he would get more exposure. It certainly would have been a coup to get him, and who knows if this report is accurate, but there are other area prospects who are available that are more attainable that we have our sights set on.

>

>What is the source of this claim?

It was printed on the front page of the sports section in the St. Louis American Newspaper. The article was written by Earl Austin, Jr. Tyus is currently enjoying his stay back HOME here in St. Louis. I also contacted Tyus to confirm his decision. He enjoyed his visit enough to give a verbal. However, nothing is certain until he signs on the dotted line.

I really hate that people feel he "abandoned" St. Louis (as if he owes something to a particular city). It's a very silly statement to make. Judging by the opinions on this blog, it seems like St. Louis has "abandoned" him. I'm proud of Alex; he has become a very talented basketball player and a pretty good kid that seems to care a lot about his future.

"I'm proud of Alex; he has become a very talented basketball player and a pretty good kid that seems to care a lot about his future."

Christ, he's a basketball player, not the second coming of Jesus. Until he graduates and actually does something with his life don't give him props. How many plyers go to college then do nothing? They sit on their porch telling people of the game in 04 when the scored 3 points against Gonzaga. I've seen it too much where these kids think that their shi*** don't stink then they get a communications degree and fail at life cause they don't have skills they thought they needed cause they had basketball and the caoch said they were the best player ever. Tyus better learn fast that basketball will only take care of a select few.

yes, i am sure a lot of st louisians "abandoned" tyus when he left st louis and went to cincy. and if he really cared about his future, and if there was a problem at hazelwood, then why not transfer to one of the very good private academic schools here in st louis? maybe because it was really all about basketball. sure it is likely that basketball will figure into his future, but it also might be nothing more than the vehicle he pays his college tuition with as i dont see him as a sure fire nba player like his aau teamates.

also if his "future" was his only concern, again, unless he has been sold he is a sure fire nba player, i would think the college education part would come into play again and i dont recall florida being considered a high academic reputation.

come on. call it like it is. dont make excuses for the kid. he thinks he is an nba player. florida gave him the best song and dance and off he goes to the land of sun. good for him. but as i said above, he is no more of an interest to me than any old recruit in nyc, or denver or dallas, etc. he isnt a local anymore.

>We recruited him. He showed up at games and midnite

>madness. Soderberg was in touch and most likely made an

>offer, but this kid had his sights set on high majors since

>his freshman year at Haz Central. That is why he left the

>area, he felt he would get more exposure. It certainly

>would have been a coup to get him, and who knows if this

>report is accurate, but there are other area prospects who

>are available that are more attainable that we have our

>sights set on.

You don't trust the accuracy of a published report by Earl Austin, the same Earl Austin that calls the Billiken basketball games. It's on the frontpage of the American for the week June 22-22, 2006. Do you ever read the St. Louis American?

Well it wasn't true was it?

I trust Earl but I don't have much faith in any kid saying he committed somewhere until there is a release from the school saying he did. Until then it is all just a kid blowing smoke as it was in this case.

>I am assuming that Tyus just told you a bold faced lie, or

>you never really talked to him? I am really growing tired

>of these "credible sources" as it is turning pathetic.

I assume you dont read the St. Louis American. And are you calling Billikens announcer Earl Austin a non-credible source?

Is there more to this story or something? I don't know much about STL high school hoops, but it sounds like you have some anomosity. The guy is a freaking kid. When did he move, when he was 15 or 16? I don't remember making too many life decisions at that point. My parents pretty much ran the show there. I was concerned with getting booze and women at that point. (Well, i guess some things never change). "Abandoning STL"?! I think that's a little harsh, don't you? It's high school basketball...

no, like any "local" that decides to go away, that is there decision, but dont expect to come back and get the we love you and we are proud of you chorus. they chose to leave so be it. nothing harsh. just imo they are no different than any out of town kid.

i will root for the local kids and in particular the local kids that stay home for college as well.

Saying that SLU never even tried to recruit Tyus is ridiculous. We tried very hard, and seemed to be in the running from my understanding. I happen to know that Coach Soderberg and staff put in big-time effort on this one, and may still be doing so until his name is on some school's dotted line.

That effort included on at least one occasion driving over to Cincinatti for a visit, then driving back through the middle of the night for an early morning meeting.

Again, certain board members seem clueless about the amount of time and effort that goes into these kinds of things. It is certainly very tough competing with Florida, Ohio State, and Illinois, but SLU is going toe to toe with them on this one. The proof may be in the pudding, but the effort, vision, and desire are definitely there.

I know we recruited him hard- my points were just in response to Roy's remarks, which seemed like he just wanted to give up on Tyus because he's too good for SLU. I will never take that attitude, and I don't think our staff will, either.

i never ever said i wanted to give up on him. i would recruit him as hard as any other player in the country that can fill a spot.

my comments are directed to those that think we should show some sort of happiness for tyus because he is getting a chance to play elsewhere. once he decides to pick a school and it isnt slu, i couldnt care less about him.

that seems to be your favorite city.

Seriously, how do you know if the kid "cared" about his future or not? Do you know why he moved, or is this just more teen-bashing, b.s. speculation?

What did his family tell you when you asked them why they moved?

How do you know whether or not his family could afford private school education? It's pretty easy to spend their money, especially from a guy who dumped private schools for public schools when it came to his own family.

I really don't understand the need to take cheapshots at teenage kids.

i bet there isnt a private school in st louis that wouldnt have found a way to get tyus in their school tuition paid.

btw, the private schools in st louis are a much higher quality of education than althoff. i have no aversion to paying tuition if i am getting value in return. both of my kids went to a private grade school that i cant say enough good about. fantastic grade school.

it just so happens that belleville west has one of the most outstanding honors programs in illinois and after experiencing althoff with my first child, it was obvious there was no comparison.

maybe you just need to worry about your own family. rest assured i am taking care of my own.

Two points ...

#1) This is the madness you are dealing with when it comes to 17- and 18-year-ols kids ... attitudes and decisions may change quicker than underwear. I've said it before, I think it is extremely tough to have your livelihood depend upon the whims of kids makign these decisions. But they are what they are. I'd rather reruit theparents, but you never know if the parents represent the kid. You could try the coach, but he might be part of the entourage as well. In any case, I think it will certainly be interesting to see Tyus' ultimate destination.

#2) I don't understand the "recruit the top players" mentality from this aspect ... of course you recruit the top players, I'm not saying you don't but I would think that given our track record, you don't expect the top players tocome your way right now barring the ultimate in good fortune or luck. I was all for Romar doing the West Coast thing. I'm all for every staff doing the top player thing, you have to. My issue is that Romar never seemed to have a plan B. I am waiting to see if BS does. Rightnow, I think BS is better at it that LR ever was. Recruit top players? Absolutely. Who doesn't?