Report from AAU Championships

Just finished watching the Eagles win a couple of impressive games in Orlando at the SuperShowcase. Tyler Hansborough made the biggest impression on me. He is not bulky but he was very quick for a forward and just attacked the offensive glass. He has some very polished moves as well. My guess is he is being heavily recruited by just about everyone.

Matt Shaw looked very good defensively and made a couple of nice passes and moves to the basket. He also clearly knows how to shoot free throws well for a big man.

Kalen Grimes without a doubt has a big-time body with great moves but I question his fitness level. Coach Claggett played him only 2-3 minutes at a time, and he seemed to mope around the floor when he didn't get a touch. His free-throw shooting looked god-awful as well. He landed funny on his ankle in the 2nd half of the 2nd game and didnt return but did have some nice in-close finishes.

The other guy who impressed me was Monroe Douglass. He was lightning quick and made several steals. He was as quick as anyone in the tournament that I saw. I didnt see enough of his jumpshot to make a judgement on that.

The Eagles play a very good team from South Carolina tomorrow to see who advances from their draw.

Other than the Eagles, the most dominating player in the building was a guy named Al Jefferson from the Jackson, MS team. This guy looked like he could start in the NBA right now. He controlled both ends of the floor and made one spectacular dunk or steal after another. The coach left him on the floor the entire 32 minutes so he tired at the end.

I also noticed Coach Soderberg and Illinois assistant coach Jay Price watched every play of the Eagles games intently. I didnt see a Mizzou coach there.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the report! sounds like you saw a typical eagles game to me seeing the 3 bigs play in the order of hansborough, shaw and last grimes. i am surprised that douglas stood out. he must have really been going hard to be playing above jones and the other guards. not usual, but good for monroe!

al jefferson is one of the top 5-6 players in the country for next year. he is a prototypical power forward that might end up going straight to the nba but for now has verballed to arkansas.

the vashon kids used to all play for the gameface aau team. i do not know if that is still the case. irons WILL NOT let them play for the eagles, thus, thicks is correct that polk is not on that team.

the guards that i remember playing for the eagles are jb jones from belleville west, monroe douglas from chaminade, xaiver price from belleville west, cam murkey from gateway, tommie liddell from e st louis, aaron jackson from hazelwood, and evans is on the roster, but not sure how much he has played with his knee injury. those are the players i remember playing guard when i watched the eagles. there may be more, but i cant remember the other guards.

CentFLBilliken,

Thanks for the report...I am going to be in Orlando over the weekend. I am staying at a resort called Westgate Lakes that I was told is near Sea World. Are the games being played in the Disney complex? Not sure if I can break away from the theme parks, but may try if the Eagles would play in the evening.

A couple of more wins for the Eagles today. The beat a South Carolina team this morning (which I did not see) and just beat the 3rd best Memphis team in the first playoff round. Monroe Douglass and Hansborough didnt play nearly as well as yesterday, although Tyler had an amazing drive and dunk, but Cam Murkey and X Price were outstanding for the Eagles. Matt Shaw played a very strong first half but didnt play in the 2nd half (not sure why). I would really like to see him in a SLU uni. Kalen Grimes must have been still injured because he was in street clothes and had a massive scowl on his face.

Hey Schasz,

Was that you in the the SLU shirt with your wife in the front row??? I would have introduced myself if I knew you were there. Are you going to be there tomorrow??? You gotta love Disney charging 4 bucks for a hot dog....

Thanks Central Fl Billiken for the updates. For those of us not able to be there, your accounts are helping keep us abreast of recruiting targets on the coaches radar screen. Was Brad or a member of his staff at the Thursday games as well watching the Eagles? I hope so because the more exposure that Brad has of Shaw, the more he's going to like his hard nose, intense style of play. Keep the reports coming and I hope that Shaw continues his fine play because I also would like to see him wearing the blue and white of a Billiken uniform.

Anyone have any info on how Luke Meyer and the Gateway AAU team are playing this summer? Thanks.

CentFLBilliken,

That wasn't me for as I am typing this message, I am still in Tampa,FL. I leave in a couple hours for a weekend in Orlando. Tonight I am going to House of Blues to see Ziggy Marley. The earliest chance I would get to see any BBall would be Saturday evening, that is, if my family lets me skip out of Universal Studios? By the way, there has been some talk that I have heard from my St. Louis sources that Monroe Douglas Jr wants to play so bad for SLU that he may walk on. Apparently, he is a smart kid and could possibly be in line for an academic scholie.

well i guess monroe could take phil hunt's spot on the roster.

that may sound mean, but the fact is that if the billikens needed another point guard this coming class, there are better and better that are local. i would take jb jones every time before douglas for example. same with justin dentman from carbondale. add to that fact that the hope is that young mr lisch will follow the following season, no way i use a scholarship on douglas.

Let me put the hearsay to rest right now. Money is not thinking about walking on at SLU. We have had no discussion of the sort. Yes, he is a smart young man. As far as giving up a scholarship to play college ball and be a walk-on, that's not going to happen. I have always told Money that I did not want him to go to SLU in his dad's shadow, but the college he attends will be his choice. However, Money attending SLU is a dead subject.

Mrs. Douglass

it does prove that the recruits, the players and the families do read this board.

mrs douglass, i want to apologize if you took my words harshly. monroe is obviously a fine young man with a very bright future. i totally agree with your thoughts. it would be foolish of him to pass up a scholarship somewhere else that he obviously will get just to follow in his father's footsteps at slu at your expense. i wish monroe all the luck in the world and hope he does well in his future endeavors.

the streets have never mentioned monroe's name in recruiting. after one year of randy pulley, i don't think they are in a hurry to recruit any more point guards who cannot shoot. that is why polk was the choice. a no brainer.

bad boyz for life