Shaw to decide this week

a few thoughts......all purely conjecture.....

first, i wouldnt be surprised if matt was/is a little put off by brad originally putting him off while he romanced grimes. you can bet matt painter is telling shaw that matt was his boy all along.

second, remember we never even got a shot at the one young man from st louis last year that admittedly wanted to go to siu over slu because of the specialized engineering major that slu did not offer. it has been rumored that matt is also interested in engineering and possibly our program doesnt match up just right.

last, with all the young inside players we have now, ian, bryce and jj, maybe shaw isnt seeing himself as set in the lineup as he is at siu.

i hope i am all wrong. i would love to see matt shaw as a billiken. but i am guessing that matt painter doesnt get to play the negative recruiter angle all that much and he is probably playing his cards to the hilt on this one.

you bring up an interesting point, possibly brad isnt pushing as hard on matt as he was on tommie. we know that the two juco's polk and the other young man from california are on the radar so quite possibly it is one of those, "well if he comes great, if not, we just need to step up our focus on the others."

i hope we see matt shaw in billiken blue though. matt, maroon is NOT your color.

If you harken back to what Brad supposedly said most recently...I will sign 3 in November with the 4th in April. If that is true then my hunch is that Shaw is SIU bound and we have some other recruits in mind for the last scholie. This would also give Coach Soderberg another season to evaluate what he has and what next year's needs are. P Diddy...are they saying anyhint different on the streets?

Brad's comment about signing one in the Spring may also have been him managing people's expecations so that if Shaw or Liddell didn't come he wouldn't look bad. If he says, "I think we'll sign two more this fall." and only gets one he looks bad. He looks good the other way around.

I saw nothing in Shaw's comments that gave the edge to SIU over SLU.

Why would you call it negative recruiting? If Painter sells SIU on the basis of it having a superior engineering program then SLU and the opportunity to start that is not negative in my opinion. I'm sure Brad does the same thing when he is recruiting against SIU. He'll talk about the benefits of playing in the CUSA or A-10 and what a nice arena SLU plays in. A Saluki-Roy would call that negative recruiting.

as far as i have read, shaw is the only other pf that siu was still pursuing. they were chasing another, but he recently verballed to northern iowa.

last year's class (this year's freshmen) has ..........(4) LaMar Owen, 6'5, WF, Southeastern Illinois (JC) IL; (3) Jamaal Tatum, 5'11, PG, Jefferson City (Helias) MO; (3) Randal Falker, 6'7, PF, St. Louis (Gateway) MO; (2) Jamaal Foster, 6'9, PF, Columbia (Hickman) MO.

as you can see there are two pf there in falkner and foster. and they return two inside players this year willis who is a senior this year and josh warren, who will be a junior this year.

so next year there would be warren and falkner and foster there.

kshoe, if i was painter i would play up the slu was cold to shaw originally while we pursued grimes. supposedly only after grimes verballed to missouri did brad change his pursuit.

I don't think I would call that negative recruiting.

I would hope that if we are recruiting Lisch next year and if near the end of his recruitment some big name schools become interested if their top priorities go elsewhere that we would point out how long we have been recruiting him.

Now sometimes that can backfire in a reverse phsychology sort of way. If school A has been recruitng you forever while school B decides that you are indeed good enough to deserve a scholarship, some people might opt for school B because it is perceived to be at a higher level.

B-Roy, personally I think you use the term negative recruiting too often when discussing potential recruits. I'm sure that by your definitions many of the things SLU says could be constued as negative recruiting.

Negative recruiting is putting down another school or program specifically to build up yoour case, instead of only highlighting the positives of your own school.

You may be misunderstanding the term. Negative recruiting is not bad, as in ethically speaking, it is highlighting negatives of an opponent. Very similar to when politicians run attack ads, they get criticized for them, but to me it is part of the process of determination to not only point out how good you are but also how bad your opponent is. Now lying about an opponents record is another thing entirely as long as it is used truthfully i have no problem with it.

>I don't think you can assume Matt would be playing behind

>JJ. Someone said they thought Matt would be ahead of JJ.

>The truth is it is all speculation.

No assumptions on my end. Operative word is "may". PT is a big issue with a recruit and I wanted to look at it from Matt Shaw's position. Roy, thanks for the run-down on SIU's PF situation.