The Billicants

Tonka

Some Billicans, but these Billicants! That's what it boils down to. I hear about lack of talent, lack of practicing hard, lack of experience, etc. But, maybe it's time for these Billicants to take their pantyhose off and get strong! What did we do, start our cheerleaders?

I'm sure this post will get a rise out of many, but a lot of you have vented already and have recovered. I haven't recovered from our three straight losses, so I'm far from recovering on this loss.

I could argue the amount of talent on this team. I could argue the amount of heart on this team. I could argue the effort this team gives. But you know what, this team has shown me that they have each of the above. So, if they have this stuff, what is the reason for these losses? Once again, I think it's lack of strength. There is NOBODY on these Billicants that wants to shoulder this team. I used to think that there were some big shoulders on this team. But, I think I've seen broader shoulders on one lane roads! NOBODY steps up to shoulder this team ever! Occasionally, we see flashes of it from some players, but night in and night out these guys are missing that. When I say shoulder the team, I don't mean take over offensively, I'm just saying to physically and mentally get this team going and playing like they are EXPECTED to, game in and game out! There is no strength at all! There is no mental strength and no physical strength! This team should be stronger than 10 acres of garlic! But, we're not even close! A_Bomb, be thankful you didn't take these guys into war, or they'd have you waiting around till your team "learned your system", "recruited" better soliders, had a better field conditions, or until you were ranked higher - and by the time that all happened, you'd be pulling schrapnel from your a## from here to Tikrit!

I'm starting to disagree with Brad's quick hook when players have 2 fouls. Somebody said this already, but when you're behind, it's more of a risk to bench the person. Not to mention, eventually players are afraid to foul and then let down defensively!

I think we ought to also quit rotating players so much. This balanced scoring thing is crap when it goes deep into the bench. After a while everybody waits around for somebody else to make things happen. I'd be the first to admit that haven't all shown me enough yet, but I want our starting and main five to be TF, IO, JJ, RB, and JF. I want our sixth man to be CS. I seem to recall CS playing great in that role. I'd like to see the others sit. I think those 6 will consistently give us the best chance of winning. Let's give these guys a chance to play together a lot and see what happens. Maybe this guys will get used to playing with each other and know what to expect and then you can huddle the guys together in game time and the same players can shoulder the team. When you have a bunch of Indians on your team, you have to scalp a few of them, and let one step up as Chief. Let's cut down on the rotation. I think people will defend Varner all the way till a losing season wraps up. Let's play the guys I talked about. Ross can still contribute. He'd probably be a damn good hydration technician.

I don't like this, he who practices hardest - plays most, crap either! Find your 5-6 players Brad and work em to death. If JJ gives a lackluster, lazy effort in practice, then make him stay after and run his a## into the ground. Do this every damn practice until he's so tired of it, he'll show up to play. This isn't pee-wee basketball. If we're not careful, players with the highest test scores will be starting and then Ian Mooney will be starting center. But, maybe that's not bad. At least he might bring some attitude to the team.

It's time to find the attitude and strength guys. Yes, it is time to get it going. We are 8 games into the season. Patience and waiting time is over! The sense of urgency is NOW! I EXPECT you to win every game and like I have said at least once a week since the beginning of the season, and you should EXPECT to do the same! This "underdog" crap is too much! I don't care what their RPI says, or any other factor - but if we go into games against teams like SMS, thinking we are the underdogs, then this program is going nowhere! You've proven you get up for big games and increase the intensity. Why in the world would you not go into every game the same way????? Every damn game should be a WAR! EXPECT to WIN, EXPECT to win, EXPECT to win - and before you know it, you will!

If you build it, they won't come! No intimate, circus sharing, arena will ever draw the recruits and fair weathered fans in St. Louis alone. The attitude and expectations need to start changing - effective immediately. Your days of the Billicants are over! You're a Billiken and it's time you damn well show it!

"The fighter is to be always single minded with ONE object in view: to FIGHT,looking neither backward nor sidewise. To GO straight forward in order to CRUSH the enemy is all that is necessary for him!" - Daisetz Suzuki

We are also lacking attitude! Do any of these players really take it personal when they lose? If they were, I think we would see less and less of what I have been seeing in some of these games.

Somebody said we always start slow. I said that before the start of the season and early on. The only responses I ever got to that were to "give them time" to gel. Somebody else said that we should give them at least 6 games as they were young, learning the system, haven't played together before. Almost as if we were the only team out there to have to deal with such things. It's a pretty easy thing to come grips with - you are not an offensive team! That being said, you can not afford to get behind early ar any other time in a game whether it be at home, on the road, at the Savvis, at West Pine, whether in a Dome or in cubicle, whether you're tired, lazy, or full of energy! YOU CAN"T GET BEHIND! If you do, then somebody on the team needs to step up gather the girl scouts around and slap some attitude into them! It's nothing but excuses week in and week out about something else. As someone else put it, we like to sugarcoat things. Ain't that the truth! There is no sense of URGENCY with this team, and with many fans. It's as if many people are content with "waiting", having "patience", having "almost equal" number of losses. If I had a single hair for my balding head every time somebody told me to be patient in the last 20 years, I'd look like Michael Landon.

Gosh, I'd love to be able to comment on all the posts I just read, but unfortunately it will impossible as a lot has been said!

Well Well Well ... Come on Tonka get it off your chest

On your rotation I agree except for CS for JJ. I would love to see CS as the sixth man ... I said in the preseason the 1st 2 guys off the bench should be CS and AD.

But ... I think JJ has to work in practice to start ... If he will get it ... and it looks like he is a little ... then I would start the lineup you listed.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

"If JJ gives a lackluster, lazy effort in practice, then make him stay after and run his a## into the ground. Do this every damn practice until he's so tired of it, he'll show up to play. This isn't pee-wee basketball"

That's how Bobby Knight has handled some talented players in the past according to bios I've read. It's certainly something to consider, at least until we add more depth next season.

The Bills get all these grade point honors but play like it is their first time on the court...I watched on TV and listened to Ramsey and Earl Austin...Earl commented on not getting any 1st half free throws saying it was their fault due to not driving and depending too much on the three...It was very discouraging to say the least...By the way what has happened to Chris Sloan?...He appears to have lost all confidence and walks around shaking his head at his mistakes or fouls...SMS players can run, shoot, rebound, and play defense, our players seem to depend on Reggie too much.

if you had ever been to practice, you would know that players are run and the team is made to run extra when players dont put out. so that hasnt been successful with these guys.

as tseugnekillib stated, the problem is the 8/5 rule. if that thing wasnt in place you could sacrifice a lamb and bring in a new player. but as he states, might as well keep what you got and try to motivate them somehow.

3 star and jjray both brought up a great thought, make sure those not putting out realize they can be recruited over in future years. especially the guards better be listening. as we know there are three quality guards coming next year for sure.

Roy, I do agree with that theory on recruiting.

I have been to practices, and believe when I say run his a## into the ground, I am talking about to a completely different level then what Brad does. Believe me, it would only take a few times before he'll start showing up to play.

I agree on the three quality guards coming in next year. But, there we are again talking about, "waiting till next year".

I'm amazed on all the discussion on the teams effort but not on how the game is played. Has anyone noticed that in every game that I have seen or heard on the radio that we seem to start out with balanced play passing the ball around looking for the open shot passing in if our inside players are open or passing back out to one of the guards for the open shot.

Based on what I know about basketball which isn't much... It would seem to me that we need to continue to pass the ball around since Brad's style of play is control basketball. What I don't understand is when we shoot a 3 pointer and we miss, our offense seems to change to the theory of "IF YOUR NOT HOT...SHOOT UNTIL YOU GET HOT"

My point is, we completely stop passing the ball around, we seem to forget we even have a center except for the expectation of getting the rebound to pass backout to the guards to shoot another 3 pointer. This becomes the core of our offense, the 3 pointer. I thought that if you pass the ball inside you can get 2 easier points assuming the shot is made OR the defense colapses in and THEN the ball is then kicked back out for either the 2 or 3 point OPEN shot!

This phenomenon seems to happen when we get down a few points and then we panic! We can't seem to buy a 3 point shot other than Reggie as it would seem.

What is the teams 3 point percentage...25%, 30?. What is the scoring percentage when a ball is passed back inside when the ball is being controlled or passed to the open man?????

If we could just CONTROL the ball more and pass the ball around looking for the open shot and stop having to live or die by the three point shot, I believe we would not have lost to SMS or even had a much better shot at GT.

What do you all think!

I agree wholeheartedly that we need to develop more of an offense in the paint. Tom has shown that he has the ability to score on the blocks, but he is just not getting a lot of opportunities. I think that is in part to our strenght at the gaurd position. With Ian coming in and Tom showing he can score, I really hope Brad gives them more offensive opportunities.

I agree with your concern, but until Tom can stay out of foul trouble we won't develop a consistent offensive post game. When Tom is in the game, we need to feed him the ball in the post with regularity. He has strong post moves and has shown that he can pass out of the post when a player is open. Plus, offensive consistensy is typically found in the paint. Guys who can score within five feet of the basket don't go through cold streaks like outside shooters do.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the ball go to JJ and Izik in the post a little more.

What we haven't harped on much on too much on this board is that Drejaj's and, to a lesser extent, Josh's outside shooting has absolutely killed us this season. If those guys were hitting from 20 feet, we would have one at least half the games we have lost.

There are far too many 3-pointers and jump shots. It may lead to success in the friendly confines of Savvis Center, but it doesn't tend to work in opponents' buildings. This team doesn't shoot well enough to rely on jumpshots -- especially not when they're after a few passes on the perimeter.

Last year's team had the same problem until Marque Perry took over, driving the ball to the hole. This team needs to get baskets closer to the hoop, whether by entry passes to players posting up or by driving. Josh Fisher, Reggie Bryant, and Izik Ohanon are all capable of getting into the lane -- they need to do it more. Even the perimeter shots will be more reliable if the ball gets into the lane first.

I said this exact thing on another post ... It seems to me we don't even try to pass the ball down low. One problem is lack of a true pt gd. A little film will show that all of our guards except AD ...( who is careless with his passes ) ... do not pass off when they drive. This enables the opponents bigs to help out on D with very little threat of a pass to his man. A team with a point like Josh who is steady and consistent but not creative needs teamates who can create on their own or very skilled bigs who can set up, receive and entry pass on the block and score or get fouled ... except for Reggie we do not have either.

I would like to see us isolate Izik down low and let him use his quickness more often ... when he makes his move Tom and the PF crash the board ... we need to clear out though and give him space ... same with Tom if he has a lighter guy on him

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

General Tonka, we have the legions assembled on the quadrangle awaiting your orders. Just give the word and the centurioins shall lead the men to strom Jesuit Hall to implement the coup. You shall be the emperer of West Pine!!! All hail General Tonka.

p.s. I like your starting 5 with CS and AJ off the bench. Only problem is that between fouls and asthma I doubt TF could stay on the court that many minutes (as much as it would improve the team).