EVANS VS SHAW

slu72

I'd take Shaw if he gives us his commit. However, I really don't think UB is too worried about holding this spot open until the spring. Here's my thinking. Assume Evans recovers and returns to form, UB gives him the fourth scholie. Oh no, no PF! We need a PF! Well look what may develop over the season. JJ brings it on, or....is it just possible UB sees Ian, aka Zorba as the PF! Or IO works into that position. Remember UB was pretty high on this kid when he spoke about him this summer. Now, say we sign Evans. You might be looking at a starting lineup in 2004-05 of:

PG:Clarke/Polk/AJ/Lidell at PG ( I don't think he'd start Polk at PG as a frosh, and I'm betting this is where Darren gets most of his mpg this year)

#2: Bryant, AJ, Meyers plus Meyers, and AJ (AJ ain't giving up time without a fight)

#3: Lidell/Evans (let's say Tommy doesn't qualify, Evans would look pretty tempting then), IO, Meyers

Ian aka Zorba, JJ,IO

Frericks, Husak

But you know, no matter how you look at it, you're going to have some pretty intense competition at all positions, which is always a healthy situation. I like the way UB is shaping this program.

Can you have too many athletic scoring wings? If Shaw is heading to SIU and If Evans is projected to be healthy I say take Evans and count this as a hell of a recruiting class! For a team that had the best 6'3" CENTER ever in Donnie Dobbs just a few years ago we sure are spoiled on height these days. I think we can take Terry and still find room on the squad for Mr Litch. More importantly, I don't think you pass on Evans to possibly get a player in the future. Now if Evans is a Floyd Mcclainsian all betts are off. I say to the devil with Shaw if he wants to be our ***** :-) (Saluki of course) once every other year when we slap SIU.

3 star, of course north carolina might have been the most undisciplined basketball teams i ever saw last year as well. firing that worthless coach was the smartest thing the unc people ever did. i noticed no other college jumped up to grab his remains.

I'm not saying we don't need a power forward. I am saying that I'd rather have a great scorer than a mediocre, short, power forward.

Apparently you can have too many athletic wings ala UNC. Fine. If Shaw doesn't want to come here what then? I say take the best player available and hope to hell that JJ is the real deal. By the way, having another scorer may not help us against a Big Ten team loaded with bruisers but won't be meeting the Illini until the dance anyway. Evans and Liddell alone should get us past the Gramblings of the world.

Yeah, I agree. I would like to have Shaw here, but if he doesn't commit, it's not the end of the world. Brad has shown he can recruit good players for our system and he could probably even find somebody better/more athletic.

BTW Rich, everytime I see that Thicks quote, I can't help but laugh...(no offense at all meant to Thicks, it just looks funny out of context)

While I like Terry Evans, I don't see the need to get him AND Luke Meyer AND Tommie Liddell with Darren Clarke already in the fold one year ahead of the recruits. I don't think three wing players in one class is a good idea. I don't want SLU squads to once again start resembling the stature of the 1993-95 squads, because they probably wouldn't fare well in the conference they'll be playing in.

Even if Ian Vouyoukas (6'11") can defend and rebound against quick 6-7 power forwards and Justin Johnson learns to go all out in a focused manner, SLU would benefit from having a banger (in the 6-7 to 6-9 height range) with long arms and a wide posterior to clean the glass and guard post men. I would prefer a juco player so that Anthony Drejaj won't depart by himself in 2006, but if Matt Shaw fits the above description (give or take an inch, I guess) and wants to come, then I'm all for it.

But signing Meyer, Liddell, and Evans in the same class would be bad. It would mean that either one would eventually transfer because of a lack of playing time or one would have to be converted to a different position (four instead of three or one instead of two). If the Billikens don't get Shaw or some banging brute in this class, then I'd rather see Monroe Douglass Jr. than Evans.

If Evans chooses SLU, then I go back to my initial reaction when Meyer committed. Back then I said that I would have preferred to see SLU get a tandem of Evans and Liddell over a tandem of Meyer and Liddell. I'm going to root for whoever SLU signs to play well and contribute to getting the program into consistent national prominence, but my initial and uneducated impression is that Meyer would contribute less than either Liddell or a healthy Evans.

If we don't get Shaw and I don't believe that we are...then we have the luxxury to play the season, see what we have, and what our top need will be for '04-'05. I'd bet that we will have at least one and possibly two options for each position.

Agree with other posters above who say too much of a good thing ain't a good thing. Until the commitment of Meyer and Liddell, our greatest need was at wing ... but now our greatest need is at PF and, looking at JJ, the best fit with our needs is a PF who is a banger with some athleticism. If we miss on Shaw, I would expect us to hold tight with the last scholarship and see who is available in the spring.

I'd love to see a quality Banging brute in the fold but after several years with very few scoring options and big nonproductive (offensively anyway) frontcourt players, the luxury of another terrific scorer seems better than a vertically limited banger. Again if Terry is healthy and Shaw isn't comming I'll take Terry.

rich, i am not against your logic at all. however, i am betting there are some supreme late bloomers out there in juco land. hopefully one has the credits to get into slu accordingly. if not, hold it for next year or at least wait and see if terry is healthy.

if this was a democracy (and billkenland is not) then i would vote for no more projects in the middle as well. at least until our others are up and in full operation. as the peasants that we are though, we will have to wait until czar brad decides.

we lost out on brandon by one class that he didnt test up to slu standards. he was ok per the ncaa. we got frericks. my guess is that brad will screen the candidates upfront enough to know who is worthy and who is not.