Mascot

slufanskip

Yeah the Baby billiken showed up one year and then was gone. Is the Billiken a deadbeat Dad?

I don't know why they changed the billiken. I can remember when it was just a guy with the head on and a suit. Then the Billiken got a whole outfit with a shirt and pants, then he became more formal wearing like a little tuxedo. The billiken is goodfy now I liked him better whne he looked mean.

Once when I was in the wilds of Alaska, I met an Inuit from Pt. Barrow and asked him if I could obtain a genuine carved Billiken from one of the craftsmen he knew. He said yes, but we never kept in touch to complete the transaction. I asked him which animal he feared the most. I was an acknowleged "chichako" or tenderfoot in those parts. He told me there was nothing more ferocious or dangerous in the wild than the wolverine. Beware of Big Blue M....!

Actually, I wouldn't wish going back to the Ron Ekker days on anyone including Triangle & Too. The Bills had horrible teams and you could count the number of people going to the games at the old Kiel. My wife used to comment on how stupid we were for being one of the few. I guess back in those days I could almost relate to being a Flubs fan.

if i remember correctly, billilou wore a skimmer straw hat and had a vertically striped vest and had a body shape that resembled john candy. is that correct sluer or willie?

i kinda took it like an old riverboat ragtime/dixieland musician maybe. for those of you old enough to remember shakey's pizza, you probably remember them playing the piano and banjo dressed in a similar getup.

All of these Billy Lou descriptions are pretty accurate. But what always struck us was the great similarity to the cartoon butcher depicted in the Mayrose meat ads. Only Billy Lou looked even goofier. The only thing we really had going for us in those days was David Burnes. I'll never forget that the "four corners" offense was still poular in those days. The Bills would occasionally go into something like the four corners with Burnes as the player free to roam. We'd pass the ball around a while until David found an opening and he'd cut free to the bucket. The kid was good!

You think the dance team's name is bad now.

In accordance with the Billilou mascot Ekker changed the Dance team's name to the Billilou Stompers.

What a terrible time in Billiken history.