Frank C on Stemler

Frank just said on his show today that when he spoke to Lance about his final decision that Lance told him that part of what helped to make up his mind was IV announcing for the NBA draft. He said he knew that if IV was for sure staying that SLU was going to the Dance next year with him but once it became a possibility that IV might not be there then it helped to make up his mind about IU.

No offense to Ian, but Lance is an idiot if he thinks IV is going to the NBA this year. I don't think Ian is going to pull a Cutler in camps, and I think even Ian knows this year is for exposure. I want more than anything another Billiken in the NBA, and it will likely be Ian, just not this year.

the dearth of quality centers in the NBA, especially skilled ones. Now Billiken Roy can talk about his need for bulk, and I agree with him. However, NBA teams quite often draft on potential and will not mind developing Ian at the next level.

that is total b.s.

if stemler isnt smart enough to realize that ian has little to no chance of getting picked in the first round, then i question his smarts. since it is a fact that stemler is an excellent student, we know that he isnt that dumb.

i was told today, granted 3rd hand, but by someone that is pretty close that stemler was just bowled over by the red carpet treatment that indiana put out especially the luxurious private jet that took him to bloomington, and the emphasis on the indiana tradition.

the "potential" that the nba drafts involves players that already are built like body builders or can grab the top of the backboard and run 4.2 40's. not celebrial big guys that need to develop more physically and have no outside game.

ian is not what schenscher was as a senior at georgia tech yet. when ian can run the floor like schenscher could as a senior then he will be talked about.

If you look back to the board in December-January, the only guys tooting Lance's horn were jmolina and myself. After Crean loses Amoroso and Sampson suddenly gets the job at Indiana and both coaches are beating the bushes for 4 men, Lance suddenly becomes a hot commodity. Now we've got folks all over Brad's case for not signing a kid they were indifferent about previously. If Crean and Sampson hadn't suddenly become interested in him, you guys would regard Lance the same you regard Maguire. Hindsight is 20-20 vision.

And on top of that, the only thing Lance could have done in January was verbal and a verbal is not binding. You really think that a kid who "dreamed all his life of playing in the Big 10" was going to stick to his verbal when Sampson, a guy has a history of disregarding verbals, came calling?

As for a backup plan, a backup plan by definition is not going to be as formidable as Plan A. Plan B for a mid-major (yes that's the level we recruit at) is not going to be a juco all-american, it's going to be the leftovers that the high majors have picked through . Sorry but there aren't any other 40% 3 pt shooting small forwards or double double guys waiting around for the Stemler recruitment to play out with mighty SLU. When midmajors miss on a guy this late they've got no choice but to scramble for whatever's left and assess whether any of those players can help. Announcing a "backup plan" is meaningless when you haven't performed that scramble and assessment yet.

You guys have to decide what you want. Do you want the staff to offer unknowns before they they receive high major interest or not? Because that's the only chance we have of getting high major talent to come here.

So thats better than a rented Enterprise 15 passenger van without the back seat and no air conditioning?

I think the "excuse" that Lance gave Frank about possibly not playing with IV was just that. He had a dream, and his dream involved a tradition laden program. The bright lights (albeit in a college town) beckoned. Good for him, I hope he does well.

Did anyone notice the lack of play the Stemler announcement got in the local paper? I for one was surprised with the lack of a commentary bashing SLU for "letting one get away"

In addition, you've got to believe the SLU staff explained Ian's situation very thoroughly to LS. The Indiana mystique was everything. And that's no surprise. I agree with Roy, this loss just doesn't bother me as much as I would have expected. Let's move on. SLU has a good nucleus coming back with some key additions(3) and I'm really looking forward to next year.

>I truly think Ian will be back. But watching Luke Schenser

>(sp?) get some significant playing time in the playoffs, has

>me second guessing that. Anything is possible...and as a

>Billiken fan, i've come to expect the worst.

Luke was an undrafted free agent. He signed 2 10 day contracts with the Bulls and then signed for the rest of the year. He only saw 10 minutes of action last night and about 0 the 2 previous games.

Point being, Ian is nowhere near as good as Luke. Period.

Ian has about as much chance being drafted this year as...me. Next year is a different story. A solid senior year can do a lot more for a guy like Ian than a few workouts. If we were talking about a guy like Tommie, maybe a different situation. It is easier for a lil guy to impress in workouts than it is for a big guy.

Didn't Lance have a sit-down with Brad and Ian when he visited? If he did, what did Ian tell him to make him think that Ian had a good chance in the draft this year... and what makes Ian think he has that good chance?

we got lucky the announcement coincided with bernie getting married this upcoming weekend. i dont think bernie is working this week.

According to Frank - Ian told Lance that he would leave if he got selected in the first round. You all can try to explain all the factors away but the truth is people make their decisions based on multiple reasons. IV possibly leaving was factored in, the new arena not ready was factored in, the luxury jet ride was factored in - although if Roy is right that the kid is so smart he should have been able to see through the glitz, playing the Big 10, Sampson offering, his feelings being hurt by not being offered earlier. All of these things were used to help him make up his mind. A year from now, the same situation might bring a different outcome - new arena to be played in his senior year, Sampson not the hot ticket which occurs when a new coach is hired, the feeling thing he apparently dealt with utlitmately so I assume he would again, the glitz - no telling what is going on in a kid's head, the B10 vs A10 - well we do come in the alphabet first.