2008 Intro: John Brandenburg

By: Jeff Goodman

National Recruiting Analyst

Date: May 2, 2006

Many players around the country have a self-inflated

opinion of themselves because people are constantly

telling them how good they are. John Brandenburg is

not one of them.

You've got to give John Brandenburg a lot of credit.

He has high standards.

``I didn't think I played well at all," said the

6-foot-11, 225-pound DeSmet High (Mo.) sophomore. "I

didn't take the ball to the basket strong., I was

getting blocked and there were a lot of good

athletes."

Welcome to the world of big-time AAU basketball.

However, Brandenburg was much better than he gives

himself credit for. The young big man competes hard on

almost every play and did some things that piqued the

interest of some of the country's top coaches.

This is Brandenburg's first go-around with the St.

Louis Eagles. Last season he suited up with Gateway,

which didn't really travel to the national

tournaments.

``I love it," Brandenburg said of his April

experience in which he has gone up against some elite

players. ``Going out there, competing and getting beat

up. It gives me something to work on."

Brandenburg, who earned a 3.8 in the first semester,

averaged a team-high 11 points a game on a balanced

high school team this past season. He still needs to

get stronger, but he's gained about 40 pounds in the

past year thanks to a diet plan.

Brandeburg made it no secret that he'd like to

follow his favorite player, North Carolina freshman

big man Tyler Hansbrough, somewhere to the ACC.

Thus far, the interest has come from Missouri,

Illinois, Clemson and Wake Forest. The offers:

Southeast Missouri State and Southern Illinois.

``I'd really like to play in the ACC," Brandenburg

said. "That would be nice."

That's not far-fetched at all, especially if

Brandenburg plays up to his standards.

He also mentioned a host of schools that he is hearing from and yet it doesn't sound like he is interested in them. Has SLU ever showed an interest in him? That is the bigger question. Why would a kid mention that he is interested in going to a local mid major program that isn't interested in him? That would be setting your sites kind of low wouldn't it?

Brett Thompson and Scott Suggs were not interested in SLU until they were offered by SLU?

I'm with you, OJ- if we don't go after the same players that the top programs are recruiting, then we'll never become a big-time program. That being said, I don't know if Brandenburg has any offers yet or if he'll get them for sure, but a local player of his stature should be recruited very hard by the program in town, no matter who else is after him. There's a lot to be said for a kid wanting to stay close, amd parents are as persuasive as anyone. We can't concede on any kid where we have the geographic advantage.

"SLU has offered Brett Thompson, Scott Suggs, and Tyler Griffey. Why hasn't SLU offered John Brandenburg?"

OJ, I know you see the kid a lot more often than I do but I just don't see how Brad's jump shot-oriented, half-court offense and Brandenburg are a good fit. Thompson I can see, because he has a J.

OJ you're in a better position to answer your own question than anyone on the board....you tell us, why hasn't he been offered? Even of more interest, because of Kramer's unique position on the eagles, do we have a real edge in getting 2 or 3 of these guys, Suggs, Thomson, Griffey to follow him to SLU?

I would hate to see us lose another one to the MVC. The kid's got his sights set high now, but what if the ACC schools don't come knocking? He's 6'11" and only a soph. I'm not saying we have to offer yet, but we have to let him know we're more than interested and that he's got more potential than an MVC player. My guess is that we're already in touch with him regularly, especially with a great big man coach like Angres Thorpe.

I have watched Brett play a lot too. And while Brett has a three point shot he has no jumper and no mid range game. Brett will either shoot the three or get it done under the basket. John on the other hand has a mid range game he can shoot elbow jumpers and mid range jumpers.

>SLU has to win something other than just games to have a

>shot at getting these players.

Like what? Are the Bills going to win the NCAA Tournament -- or even a Regional (i.e., go to the Final Four) -- in the next two years? It's not impossible, but it's improbable. Are the Bills going to win the A-10 regular season or conference tournament championship in at at least one of the next two years? I'm not saying it won't happen, but I don't know if they will be ruled out by local top-notch recruits if they come just short. Perhaps they'll see themselves as the pieces to get the local team over the top. If the Bills win the non-conference invitational they're set to play in this fall, will that win over the coveted recruits?

Lastly, there has been something of a tradition for some Eagles units to stick together at SLU, even though SLU hasn't won anything. Julian Winfield, Erwin Claggett, Scott Highmark, and Eric Bickel stuck together to form the nucleous of SLU's 1991 class, and Larry Hughes, Justin Tatum, and Matt Baniak joined John Redden at SLU in 1997, so why can't the class of 2008 stick together at SLU, even though the Bills have yet to hang any major banners?

Here is a question when is the last time they won anything or have come close?

Or better yet what is a good reason to go to SLU when you have more than one or two offers?

I am not to up on my Bills history even though I am good friends with John Redden, Matt Baniak, Corey Frazier, Earl Austin and others.

>"SLU has offered Brett Thompson, Scott Suggs, and Tyler

>Griffey. Why hasn't SLU offered John Brandenburg?"

>

>OJ, I know you see the kid a lot more often than I do but I

>just don't see how Brad's jump shot-oriented, half-court

>offense and Brandenburg are a good fit. Thompson I can see,

>because he has a J.

If Bradenburg is not a fit for the Bills, why then do we have Bryce Husak on the roster? As a DeSmet grad I'm biased but this kid is only now finding himself offensively. He's got all the other raw tools for a post player.

Because he was a big body available in the spring and we had a scholarship open. That's a little different than offering a kid after his sophomore year in high school. I wouldn't be advocating offering Husak after his sophomore year just for the sake of offering either. Early offers traditionally go to the best players that are the best fit.

This article was written by Scout.com's national recruiting analyst. You can bet that it's pretty accurate.

Kids like Thompson, Brandenburg, and Suggs are future high major prospects. You have to expect that high major prospects are gonna want to attend high major programs. SLU will have a tough time keeping these guys interested. That's still no excuse not to offer early like SEMO and SIU did. They continue to recruit the STL area better than SLU.

However, these are not the only talented D1 prospects in the area. Why not pursue the 6'7 developing SF Jared Swopshire? He's a mid major prospect. (SLU is a mid-major program.) Showing early interest in him would have a lot of impact.

>Here is a question when is the last time they won anything

>or have come close?

SLU won the C-USA Tournament in 2000. SLU's last regular-season championship came in 1971, I think.

Also, I believe the Bills finished second in the Great Midwest in 1995 and pushed Cincinnati to the limits in that year's GMC Tournament championship game. That team went on to beat Minnesota in the first round of the NCAA Tournament and pushed the Tim Duncan-led Wake Forest team in the second round.

why should we assume that scout is 100% accurate? i can tell you that i have seen plenty of recruiting guru's over the years not report the billiken activity on recruits.