Lance Stemler recruiting

Well...with the announcement of Maurice Acker from Ball State transferring to Marquette next year.....seems Marquette has one spot left....and they need a "big"....perhaps maybe moving away from Stemler....but wouldn't rule them out of the mix yet. But sure seems like a small positive for SLU fans who want Stemler.

I don't think anyone with any amount of basketball knowledge would say we don't need Stemler.

If you think about it, if we got him we would be very strong at 1,2,3, and 5 and our only weak spot would be the 4. Just about every team in America, save the super elite, have a weakness somewhere.

it is my belief that stemler indeed would be an upgrade over anthony drejaj (and i liked drejaj a lot) and could be more effective as the backup pf that vashun newborne was(nt). i.e. yes stemler makes us better if he comes. but it indeed does still leave us with the same achilles heel as before.

that said, stemler talk is likely moot. i do not believe he is coming.

Yes, Acker has to sit out a year and gets 3 years of eligibility. they also recruited a kid out of Danny Hurley's HS team in Jersey for next year to be a back up pt guard....though he is a 2 guard. Crean likes tall, long athletic kids who can shoot....i.e. Stemler. But Marquette really needs a pf...as a top priority.

The transfer takes up a scholarship for next year for them. so, they have one left, ....recently fired Ball St coach Tim Buckley was an assistant for Marquette for a year under Crean. ....and two other kids, including a current Frosh for Marquette played with Acker on same HS team in Chicago. ....connection must have been too good to pass up on a good player, Mid American Conference Frosh of the Year.

Stemler may very well be in their mix still. ....reports have had Crean in about 5 different states last week recruiting.....Illinois included.

Prior to the signing, many thought they would sign an inside player....and a shooter. Now they will have to pick one or the other.

this is based on that talk you had with someone close to SWIC? Did this guy happen to know you are Mr. Billiken Basketball? If so, is it possible he was pulling your chain, or were you left with the firm belief that Stemler is Marquette bound?

>this is based on that talk you had with someone close to

>SWIC? Did this guy happen to know you are Mr. Billiken

>Basketball? If so, is it possible he was pulling your chain,

>or were you left with the firm belief that Stemler is

>Marquette bound?

Stemler is probably just one of several players Marquette is looking at for its last scholarship. Do they take a shooter or a rebounder? Even if Stemler has a preference for Marquette, we may still land him yet.

Let me explain my point of view this way. This is all under the premise that we land DM, Stemler, Knollmeyer, and perhaps even Walls. With that on your roster, I could very easily see a starting lineup of

1. Tommie

2. Kevin

3. Stemler

4. Knollmeyer, Obi, Walls....whoever wins the battle.

5. Ian

That would leave you with:

Danny--can back up all three guard positions

Dustin--probably can only play the 2/3 spot, in emergency the 4

Luke--a reserve at 3/4

Bryce--a 5, but can be inserted to play with IV as twin towers.

To me, that looks like quite the strong setup, therefore the competition at the 4 is imperative as you stated above. If these 3 additinal guys are landed, I think the 4 quickly goes from being a minus to a plus position for us. Your thoughts.

Knollmeyer, Obi, Walls, JJ, Stemler, Luke, Dustin.

A Freshman, a redshirt freshman who hasn't played real ball for two years, Walls, a head case, and three bigger sized guards don't really make a plus.

Walls and maybe Obi are the only ones who can come in and make a difference right away. (I've never seen Knollmeyer but it sure seems like freshman difference makers at the power forward spot do not come to SLU.

Koch did sign with Northern Iowa last fall. I remember hearing though he was going to think about this after McDermott left though. Not sure if he is still going to N Iowa or not at this point. I would guess he is because Jacobson the new coach at N Iowa was the associate head coach and sounded like the lead recruiter under McDermott. I would guess their incoming class all stays with N Iowa. Brad did have some connection to Koch though. Something like he played with or for Koch's high school coach. By the way Koch is more of a 3 than a 4, in other words more of an outside game than a post game.

All I am saying is that going from zero legitimate candidates to play power forward (JJ doesn't even count anymore) to 3 guys that maybe able to play the position and do it well (Obi, Walls, and Knollmeyer...if we get them) has to be considered an upgrade and plus.

I don't see any of the above coming in next year and playing the 4 position "well." Walls as a juco has the best shot. Knowlmeyer is a freshman, yes? Obi has been out of it for two years on a gimpy leg, correct? Do you honestly expect any of them to play "well" next year? A religious conversion by JJ is our only shot at a good 4 man next year.