RIchard Anderson of the Eagles

VTIME

He plays for the Eagles 15's and is one of the main reasons that Northside and Eagles have joined forces. He averaged 16pts and 12.3 rebs at the AAU prelims this past weekend at Hazelwood Central. The 6'6 200lb physical specimen is finally learning how to play and probably regrets that he didnt go to Vashon like he was instructed to do. He didnt go because he lacked confidence, but he's thriving now because of Northside coach Leon Threat who has brought him along way in his only two years of basketball. His stats on stltoday.com are skewed because they stopped recording stats regularly around midseason, so his rebounding numbers are about twice as high and at Beaumont most kids only play half the game because he gives them all time.

Richard Anderson can be as good as he wants to be.

I've seen him a couple times when he's looked great and determined to be a good player.

I've also seen him when he acts like he doesn't care one bit about playing basketball, has no passion for the game and is just taking up space on the court.

He's got ability, but does he have any heart?

If he wants to be good, he will be, but I'm not sure he does.

- Nate

... I guess this post is a "head's up?" Anderson just completed his sophomore year and is a player we need to be watching as he develops over his next two years?

that was imposed by the transition team of the St. Louis Public Schools. A student living within the city limits can attend Vashon High School, which has open enrollment. There are other high schools that have open enrollment, but high academic schools like Metro High School, will only admit students who meet certain standardized testing requirements.

>Richard Anderson can be as good as he wants to be.

>

>I've seen him a couple times when he's looked great and

>determined to be a good player.

>

>I've also seen him when he acts like he doesn't care one bit

>about playing basketball, has no passion for the game and is

>just taking up space on the court.

>

>He's got ability, but does he have any heart?

>

>If he wants to be good, he will be, but I'm not sure he

>does.

>

>- Nate

He has a coach in Threat that he's willing to listen to and can keep him from being the next high school level Kalen Grimes.

I have some old game programs, but the oldest are from the mid 50's. I did, however, find several pictures of Lou Lehman in the 1965-66 Billiken press guide. Unfortionately, it did not give any high school info. In fact, most of these old programs just gave the home town, and not the high school. His career probably ended in 1949, before I really became a Billiken fan.

One of the programs has the history of the MVC up to the mid 1950's. It is interesting to note how often the makeup of the league changed with teams coming and going.

Back then, Beaumont had a legendary basketball coach by the name of Harry Stanton. In those days, the PHL was a heckuva basketball league. You had Beaumont, Sumner, Vashon, and Central who all had good HS basketball teams, but that was on the Missouri side of the river. Because in those days Collinsville was the king on the Illinois side and they would regularly kick ass of any Missouri team that got the idea that they were on the same par. Since my wife went to Collinsville I got to meet their legendary coach Virgil Fletcher as he would make a lot of the parties my wife's family was invited to attend.

>gotta love the almighty Vashon recruiting wagon.

Who said they recruited him. Many outsiders, friends and coaches told him that would be his best bet to get recognition and get better. He lacked confidence in himself and went to Beaumont like the majority of the Northside team players do. Outside of Vashon, there havent been many PHL players go division 1. Falker and Turner are the only one's I can think of that went division 1 in basketball.