Stemmler

AJ

I saw Stemler play tonight and he was extremely impressive, particularly on the offensive end. I missed the first 10 minutes of the game but saw Stemler score 20 points in approximately 24 minutes of play. He scored outside, inside, rebounded well, etc. I was sitting with several Illinois HS coaches who feel Stemler can play major D1 ball. Marquette is involved and Maryland made a phone inquiry last week. With SWIC going to JC Nationals, it sounds like Brad better wrap this guy up quick. A Billiken assistant was there tonight and another assistant was reportedly watching Calvin Walls play in Indiana.

I also saw the game last night. My impressions of Lance are

He is not a 4, not by any means and I don't think we would even want him in there trying to defend it. Luke though shorter is better suited as he is much stronger.

He looks to have a very nice stroke and gets it off quickly enough. I had heard he shoots like Luke, that is false, not even close. He is not afraid to go to the basket, but didn't seem to finish that well. He also shoots off the dribble making a couple of midrange shots. He looks very good and comfortable at the freethrow line. IMO he is athletic enough to play defense at the 3 and possibly be very good. He showed alot of enthusiasm while playing though I was told that is not the norm. I only saw 1 game, but based on that game I would say Lance is someone the Bills need.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I was extremely impressed with LS last night. He could probably move right into the starting line up if his D is up to par. A sniper with some good post play. What sucks is he will reach a whole new level of exposure at hutch. Wrap him up!

stemler is a better shooter than maguire right now. but remember he is 3 years older. maguire is basically stemler 3 years ago imo. a kid playing inside at the high school level that has outside shooting skills.

i am not convinced that stemler is a legit 6'8". i would bet he is at most 6'6". however that is taller than maguire. but not by much.

imo, if we are talking playing "horse" shooting right this second, stemler would probably win. i think kevin still beats maguire though.

however, what you all have now seen for yourselves is kevin's ability to create his own shot. neither stemler or maguire have anywhere near kevin's ball ability and ability to get himself open with or without the ball.

better release drew dieners are what i consider both stemler and maguire. and before you diener attack dogs come barking, remember i was a diener fan. so i dont necessarily consider that a slam. i just dont think either one is going to be our first option if we need someone to score with a move on their own. in all likelihood, what success stemler and/or maguire have will be because the opposing team had to double or help on liddell or lisch and they make the extra pass to the wide open stemler or maguire for the open shot. how many more games would we have won this season with that player? the games that danny brown or drejaj made those opportunities we pretty much won it was the ones they didnt that we lost and everyone screamed "we cant shoot".

i'd take stemler to fill drejaj's slot in a second.

bill it is hard to compare. kevin can get his own shot even at the 3 point range. and he has such a quick release it makes a huge difference as well. maguire will likely not get as many shots off or else he will be contested and thus not be able to carry the same percentage. they are not compareable. stemler and maguire are not lisch imo, not even close.

What I am trying to get at is KL came on the scene struggled for the first ten games a little then settled in and produced. Not too many freshamn can do that, even Juco players take a little while to get acclimated.

Does DM have the talent to come in and be productive early on in a supporting role??

i'm not expecting much. i would bet he will be behind danny brown, dwayne polk and luke meyer. knowing coach soderberg doesnt like to go deep on the bench that wont leave much time for him.