Related Article: MU Pres's Wife Recommends...

davidnark

...against white girls. This stuff gets better every day.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2003/Dec/20031209Clem002.asp

The discussions between Clemons and the president’s wife also are filled with friendly banter. In one conversation, Clemons says he wants to find “a woman” after he’s released from jail.

“You better. And I ain’t talkin’ about no Delta Delta Delta, either,” Carmento Floyd replies, referring to an MU sorority with a nearly all-white membership. Bunge is white.

“Naw, I’m talking about the people,” Clemons says.

“I’m talking about Delta Sigma Theta,” Carmento Floyd replies. Delta Sigma Theta is a historically black sorority.

What an extremely poor showing of judgement by the University of Missouri president and his family. I'm shocked at the racial comments, but I would be surprised if there were severe repurcussions. How much is enough? This will be interesting to watch, assuming it actually gets some attention.

I certainly hope you are kidding. For one thing, the transcript doesn't indicate anything about the comments being made "in jest." More importantly, though, aren't we as a society working to remove these types of "jests" from our everyday lives? We are perpetuating the fraud that skin pigmentation defines us as individuals. The Mizzou President isn't dumb because he's black, he's dumb because his actions and comments are dumb.

I would suggest that racial jests are unacceptable in mainstream society. If you really believe that racial jests are okay, IMO you are perpetuating the divide between white and black. The last thing the Mizzou president needs is for the Boone county folks to be given tacit approval for racial jests. I don't think anyone supports this.

Does anyone know if the Mizzou president took correspondence courses?

Your comments made me think of that scene where the sherrif is reading back the defendants transcript when he was being interrogated. Instead of reading it like "I shot the clerk?" in a very questioning manner the sherrif read it like. "I shot the clerk." as a sort of statement of fact/admission of guilt. This has nothing to do with anything of course, but I thought it was funny.

The truth of the matter is that Floyd is a public figure and as such, you are held to a higher standard as is your overall behavior. There have been numerous examples of others in Floyd's type of position from elected officials to those who are appointed in public jobs that have made comments in jest or not that have come back to haunt them. Clearly, Floyd and his wife have used poor judgement throughout this matter - you would have thought he would have learned from the July 4 incident but apparently not. The other thing that makes this so strange is that he is being paid significantly more than the person whose place he took and many people associated with the MU system were and still are upset that they are not getting raises and having programs cut but he gets paid more given the difficult tight times the state and the university system is going through now. As I have said before, my daughter is a senior up there and my tuition has gone up over 30% this year alone. It does make one wonder how the money is being managed.

From the poor, street English used in the taped calls, I'd have to conclude that the Floyds both got most of their education via correspondence courses. By the way, aren't we all proud of the education being received by "Amy" at the State U law school-she talks like she is still in the 'hood.

What an unbelievable mess the Clemons affair (pun intended) has become, but we all owe the Rick a big Thanks for helping expose what our tax $$$ are doing for us in Columbia!

Two of the three highest paid state employees (i.e., Floyd and Snyder) are in the middle of this scandal. That should pose a big problem for a state with well-published budget problems, particularly education budget problems.

I don't think the racist comments are acceptable. It's even more disturbing when these comments are coming from the wife of the major state university president to a student calling from the local jail facility. As for the wife being at issue rather than the husband, don't his actions somewhat contradict his statement that he didn't want his wife to have any involvement with Clemons? He cooperated in having Clemons to his home for the ill fated ATV excursion. He accepted at least one collect call from Clemons and summoned his wife to the phone. Are these the actions of a man who has stated he was opposed to his wife having any contact with Clemons? Maybe it's overreaction or maybe it's just time to hold our so called leaders responsible for their actions. Where is Holden in all of this-- is he too busy trying to distance himself from the Gephardt/Aboussie fiasco?

IN all fairness, aside from his obviously idiotic transgressions with the basketball team (he needs to just stay away from all that) he has been improving Mizzou academically since he took the job. Even now there is construction all over the campus to improve the facilities and provide an even better place to learn.

You say the statements were "not racist." I think you'll find some people who would say there are racial undertones, even though the statements aren't as offensive as many I've heard. Fanning flames? If it means demanding some accountability for the dumb acts of our leaders, then fine-- I'll flame.

As this is all non SLU-- I'll try to refrain from any more postings on this topic.

MUfan - hold up there - Floyd has not been around long enough to have any real influence on the construction. All that had to be in the works long before he showed up. Also, as far as improving academics at the school goes that is not accurate either - before you go bonkers , my son graduated from MU and my daughter is a senior - the school has had to accepted more kids thus actually lowering their eligibility standards to make up for the budget cuts from the state. Now I agree that he did not cause that but before you hold him as a great leader of the system lets actually wait until he is their long enough to actually accomplish something that he did not inherit.

great post cheeseman. and speaking of what he "inherited" he inherited this whole program personellwise, and could have stepped in and changed courses on what is/was going on and now it looks like instead jumped in the middle of the whole thing and enabled more shenanigans. if floyd has any decency left, he should fire all, take the self imposed sword on the program, and then resign.

Mike Alden says: "The release of recordings of Ricky Clemons' conversations from the Boone County jail is a development that has been anticipated since early in the course of the current review of the men's basketball program. The contents of the conversations represent only a small part of the comprehensive review that is taking place. The University and the NCAA have already conducted a series of in-depth interviews with a wide range of individuals."

My comment is that they may have anticipated the release of the tapes but there is no way they could have known what was on the tapes. Did he know that the associate AD's wife was ripping on Quinn or that the President's wife hates Mizzou. No way! This has to be a shock to Alden. there is no way the NCAA can ignore this while just a few days ago the Tiger faithful thought they were going to get off with only minor violations.