Xavier Student Body = Amazing...SLU Student Body = Path

Wow. Watching Sean Miller hand out Dominos Pizza (Proud Supporter of Xavier Basketball) to almost 500 students who came out when the team bus arrived from the airport after X beat Charlotte in Charlotte was too much for me. Students are watching the game from the X Cafeteria on the X campus b/c the Cintas center is SOLD OUT. What the hell are we doing wrong. Win or lose, the student support of our SLU team is horrendous. I am an alum and I have gone to more SLU games as an alum than half, probably 3/4 of the current undergrad population (1). I probably care about having a nationally respectable program than 90% of the current undergrad population.

We play in a prestigious basketball conference and we're a school with somewhat of a tradition. We're nowhere near Duke, but we're hell of a lot on the same page with the Marquettes and Xaviers and Saint Joes of the world. Our student turnout is horrible. We get 100 or 200 students and congratulate the Blue Crew for a "great turnout." That's either wonderful sarcasm or yeah, sarcasm. 100 or 200 students is sad.

Other than games on Xmas break, I attended every game as an undergrad. Even during finals; ask my professors. I can't go to games and not laugh at the pathetic turnout. More students attend MIT basketball games. More students go to UMSL games. It's a joke. An absolute joke.

I went whether we had a 3-20 or a 16-13 year. It's not a matter of wins or losses. We need the arena to generate student turnout. Bottom line. Savvis hasn't worked (well, unless we fielded a winning ballclub).

I'm tired of going to games where five or six students wave pieces of cardboard with aluminum foil on it to distract an opponent at the foul line. I look at the enthusiasm of the Xavier students, and I know it's the UC game and the Crosstown, but they'd get up for Harris Stowe if they came to Cintas.

I'll always root on my Billikens, but for Christ sake, come out to the games and quit being fairweather fans.

If you're an undergrad and have access to FREE tickets for EVERY game, you should get your ass to the Savvis. Unreal.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if my perception is wrong about your post, as I agree and want more students there. But, I thank the students that are there and appreciate the waving of aluminum foil and stuff to distract the opponenet during free throws.

While I am not thrilled with the student turn out - it has improved drastically. The Blue Crew has done a great job and is working to make it even better.

Two differences:

1) An on-campus arena that is a very short walk from the dorms (the Cintas is quite a bit closer to the XU dorms than our arena will be)

2) The biggest game of the year - XU is very well-supported, but this is the game where everyone goes nuts

Get us an on-campus arena and a rival, and it could just as easily happen here.

I'm not saying that the non-Blue Crew members of the student body aren't apathetic; it's just that comparing the Crosstown Shootout to any SLU game isn't exactly comparing apples to apples.

I am sorry, but the Blue Crew and the student support is absolutely pathetic. How can you consider 15 nerds with blue shirts and limited basketball knowledge a quality chearing section. I dont know where blame can be placed for the lack of student support. Maybe its the fact that we play in a large off-campus venue or maybe its because there is a complete lack of marketing of the program. Something needs to done. The coaches and fans talk about wanting this program to be legitimate, but go to any MCC game tomorrow night and you will find student sections that make the Blue Crew look like a joke. Nobody is intimitated about playing at the Savvis Center. Don't kill billikenmetz because he is stating the obvious.

At the SIUE-UMSL game tonite the Cougars had about 50 kids in their "Red Storm" and probably 100 more students spread out through the gym.

Unfortunately that beats the SLU student turnout on most nights.

I do appreciate the turnout we do get. This blue crew regime has been the best since we had students dressed as gorillas in the old barn when spoon was here.

I really don't know what to say; I suppose I'll account for the games I've missed if you want me to (semester in Madrid and knee surgery in November, but I was back and standing for the next game) but I doubt that will help.

A few problems:

1. Zero promotion of games (we don't have THAT much money to do it on our own) during the season.

2. Inconsistent buses. I've been left standing in the cold more than once because of our crappy transportation system, and I'm sure that more than a few students have found that discouraging.

3. Sitting in traffic and the Family Arena parking sucks a whole lot too. Also discouraging for studets.

4. Product. A lot of students don't see 8-8 as anything to come out for. UB hit on this in spring '04 at the BC banquet when he told us that he didn't expect support for a crappy team.

5. The deadly quiet that is most of the stadium hardly encourages going out to take their naps.

Ya, there is work to do, but we're doing everything we can, from roadtripping to Billiken Madness. I think the problem is rooted in something more than general apathy. Do you go to the first home soccer game every season? How come 1000 freshman can come out for an exhibition? It's easy: Promotion, product and place (sounds like intro to marketing, eh?).

If the Blue Crew gets us 50 kids at every game (they get more than that) that is 50 more than we had 5 years ago. The student turnout had been zero for going on 30 years or more save for a couple short binges in our one Larry year and the two NCAA years with Clagget and Co.

Yeah, we're screwed....Xavier probably wins by 20. Getting back to the horrible student turnout, the main thing is this --- everyone knows we have a basketball team --- what else is there to do for the love of God at SLU on a Tuesday night when a team like Temple comes to town or something? With the buses or whatever, I can understand that, ###### happens. From a marketing standpoint, I guess I can sacrifice an increase in A.D. funding if they have to cut recruiting. Well, I guess they've done both. Go on the web, print out the schedule, go to the games. Put down the books for 2 hours and enjoy the games.

What I've suggested is from the moment the freshmen get in the dorms, when the students move back in the fall, have a uniformed SLU blue t-shirt and magnets and flyers all over the rooms. Get them in the right frame of mind for being supportive of the fall sports. During the fall season, get Coach and the players out on the field during halftime or at Homecoming to get student support. Have the Events Staff handout posters and flyers. Just beat it into their friggin minds that basketball season is coming up. Do whatever it takes.

Get out to the games.

I think it is easy for graduated professionals to judge how the student turnout is poor. These SLU kids are in college, this is supposed to be an amazing experience while we are here. Put yourself back in these shoes. Would you rather go watch a team that has had TWO successful meaningful games in the last four years (UL and Iowa) or hang out with your friends, go to a Greek event, or go to a bar? These kids don't have the desire because frankly, there isn't much to be desired.

Comparing us to XU in terms of students may seem fine, but they have made the NCAA tourney how many times recently? These current students at SLU have not experienced that. Also there have only been about 5 games that occured while students were actually on campus. One of which was Eastern Illinois where we looked shakey at best. What would make you want to come back to watch that?

I used to think our student base was terrible too, and that you could still go to the game then go out, but beers are too overpriced at the game, and it takes FOREVER to catch a bus back to campus.

Also what Bluecrewfinance said is right. There is NO promotion for games. When I talk about it in class, most kids have no idea there is a game tonight. That is clearly no the students fault.

WINS = ATTENDANCE bottom line. Whining about it isn't going to bring us wins.

Why are some choosing to attack us? We do our best to boost interest in this team. Don't judge us by the last couple home games. Those were over break or during finals week. Until this team actually does something of note, student attendence will struggle. An on-campus arena will help, but lets be honest, interest in this team from the students will not increase until we make the dance again. Realistically speaking: we are an average team coming off a bad season; we play off campus; we play at odd days and times and places (st. chuck); many students come from towns with established programs (Cincinnati and Xavier, Kansas, Marquette, etc.). Bottom line: this team has to make a dance for student's to notice and they are getting better. We are doing the best we can to boost interest and our membership numbers have shown this. Don't attack us for trying to do this, its not our job alone, it has to be a university effort.

As for the XU section tonight, this is their biggest game of the year, of course there will be a lot of support. You should have seen the student turnout when they played Southern University.

I come from Peoria, Ill. and we have an AWFUL team with Bradley, so it is refreshing to watch an "exciting" team like SLU. This is our university. Where is the pride? If you're from KC and don't like supporting your school, go to UMKC and "root for the Roos." From Cincy and don't want to support the Bills, go to Miami of Ohio and remember the glory days of Ron Harper and Jason Grunkmeyer (SLU Assistant). Get to the games. You're in college, go have fun with a FREE ticket...pregame with a case of Natty in the parking lot and be crazy. Live it up.

haha. I think you are talking to the wrong people here. We are the students that go to every game. We aren't the casual ones who don't come. I was just giving perspective on why they don't.

Whats the biggest buzzkill after pregaming a case of Natty?

A 48-46 win over Savannah State with a 25% shooting performance, including 2-15 from 3.

Blue Crew does what it can and nobody should blame them for the lack of turnout by the rest of the school. During school, the Blue Crew members are there in solid numbers no matter who they're playing. Every now and again we get a big game and a few hundred more students show up and behave like idiots (ball on court incidents). The blame falls on the school for not producing a better team and on the rest of the student body who would rather study, light candles, watch a different game on ESPN, or play video games than go to games. SLU is not exactly Arizona State. There is stuff to do, but it's not like we're consistently partying.

Look at our home games thus far...only 5 while school has been in session. 2 were exhibition games, one was the weekend in the middle of finals, one was on a Monday night and that left SIU on a Weds night...our scheduling is a nightmare between the days and times and where we play.

Bottom line - we have to win some games and make some noise for people to notice...in the mean time, we're doing the best we can. Some input on how to boost attendence IN SEASON would be nice to go along with the criticism.

Okay...now we're talkin easily one of my favorite topics that never gets enough attention.

In NO particular order:

1) Ripping the few people who do go, is a head scratcher for me. It takes balls to go out there when your group is only 20 or so. And not the 4000 of Marquette or Xavier's crowd, or whomever.

2) Not having the tradition mentioned above is a major disadvantage, no question. Not to offend any fans, but objectively a lot of "peer" schools have better traditions.

3) Not winning lately or consistently ...combined with such a BORING brand of hoops...again, no offense to Brad or anyone...but that doesn't help either.

I say if you do not believe in seeing thousands, yes thousands of students at games...and much more 20-30 somethings at games...then just cancel the program, and make it intramural. I'm not kidding. Throw in the towel, move on. The constant excuse making...and the SLU can't stuff ...enough is enough.

Okay...how does one make it better? ....well....for a long period in time, everyone can agree SLU was considered a commuter type school, or local STL kids school. This obviously has changed a lot for the better....so capitalize on that. Kids living on or near campus....all they need is a reason, an EVENT to go to. Even if your team is not top 25 cailiber, gotta start building traditions, rock concert like atmosphere to most games. Obviously no school is getting packed for Bethune-Cookman, God bless 'em. Wehn Joe random kids look at SLU, or commit to SLU...Hoops, Hoops Hoops ...they need to know that going is THE thing to do....which means it has to be a can't miss event. Why can't Levick park herself at an above mentioned team home game? Notre Dame/Marquette's sell out tommorrow night on ESPN U or tonight's Xavier Cincy game are good starts to stop in. Wake Forest in recent years....dramatically has changed their ATMOSPHERE at games. It is an event. Last time I checked, none of those teams were ranked. Yes they all have had better traditions and better recent years...but many of their home games are THE thing to do at school.

Where does it start? IMO....one of two ways...1) The COACH...yes, COACH. the coach's is job is NOT to recruit players and coach the time. Sorry Charlie, or in this case Brad. No, period, no. IMO, Romar had the right idea, and may have re-strategized his recruiting among other things, before leaving. A coach who embraces the selling of the program to incoming students, current students, and alums. If you do not have a dynamic presence...i.e. Brad.,...you MUST have it in your Athletic Dept somewhere. or a basketball power agenda administration. SLU certainly doesn't have that, and the verdict is still out on Levick's new reign.

IMO, if SLU is to make a positive upswing in this area, it has to be Levick, cuz the others aren't gonna do it.

Perhaps in 2-3 years a new coach will come in and get that ball rolling immediately, then get the administration on board and ad's office on board for support. Some effective recruiting, leads to hiring an expert in EVENTS.

You need a school commitment to it. But that commitment may have to begin with a big idea coach.

An on campus arena will help...And, give me a break, whining how far it is from dorms. DUDE, this is freakin college, kids can walk to the new arena in droves. hop skip and jump away. And about the booze...you are aware that most college teams play on campus where booze is not allowed and snuck in. In those exceptions off campus, most of those kids are boozin well BEFORE game time...can't afford and don't buy booze during game...and just go back and drink after the games. So, this is a non-issue.

I do admit, if I am a current undergrad, yawn city...bad team, low scoring painful games, arena that need seffort to get to....ZERO excuse not to have several buses going back and forth all night long on time etc...Kids don't need much, just a nudge. But freakin give them a reason, a nudge. How about 5 Tommie Liddell's? (actually hopefully they will reach higher than that) An on campus gym? Technological display of excellence, event like atmosphere. This can easily be created. Sorry old-timers, you'll dig it if you give it a chance.

How are people gonna donate and get major players involved, if you have a PResident and administration NOT committed to winning hoops? If the coach has zero interest in selling the program, just x's and o's coaching?

Somebody needs to take the SLU administration on a tour of other schools. Make them talk to university officials so they can understand the impact on all aspects of your school that a winning hoops program can have...You can increase enrollment, you can increase selectivity of that enrollment, you can increase school exposure all over the place and attract many more successful undertakings. Make them go to a game, on a Wed, Thurs, Fri, or Sat....all of those days are rockin in other places. Make em meet the boosters too. Get all perspectives.

That's it....oh and btw...the schedule...keep NAMED non-conference opponents, make them home and home only....and get WEEKEND dates. This means Thurs, Fri, Sat. More of those. ZERO Sun and Mondays. Obviously with a new arena, play when you want. While still sharing....Sat afternoon games, mixed in with occasional fri night, mixed with Wed and Thurs. No more Family Arena.

The new arena is a big piece, but just one piece to the puzzle.

Billikenmetz:

Now I know that I am not supposed to take anything personally when it comes to this type of thing, but this time I'm playing that card. I wish I could tell you exactly what I think about your opinion, but I won't because I like this message board and (most of) the people and I don't want to be kicked off. I am going to speak for myself on this issue and give you a bit of education as to what I, Blue Crew President, have been up to this year.

The 4 years of Blue Crew before I became president were somewhat passive and extremely intraverted, in my opinion; this was the first year that we have done a huge extraverted recruitment of members, which was one of my biggest goals. This past summer, I MYSELF talked to every single one of the 800+ freshmen that signed up for more information on Blue Crew. We have gone from having about 20 regular members at the end of last season to over 200 this season, and of those 200+, we have 178 freshmen and new members. I have worked myself sleepless for 21 days straight to take Billiken Madness from concept to being shut-down twice to final execution. We had over 1,000 people attend the event. We have an EXTREMELY limited budget (to put it one way, we have the same amount of money as a 10 person interpretative dance troupe), so I'm sorry that you don't approve of our aluminum foil and cardboard reflectors, but we're just poor college students. Many of the things like posterboards and aluminum foil like that come straight out of my pocket so that we can make sure we can get another ticket for a road trip game. I fall asleep at night thinking about how Blue Crew could be bigger and better, and the amount of time I spend trying to come up with new ideas is embarrassing. I am probably the only person on this entire campus that promotes Billiken Basketball as if I were getting paid to do it, instead of paying to do it. And this does not include the normal game-to-game operations and responsiblities. I've talked to everyone else on this campus, and if all we get is "15 nerds in blue shirts" as FromGreece says, than that is all of the students fans there are...sorry.

Now, don't take this post as me complaining about the "perils of the Presidency" in any way. I don't think there's another person on this campus that has as much pure, unadulturated love and support for Billiken Basketball as I do and I absolutely love everything about being Prez. I love this sport, I believe in this team and these coaches, and all I want is for others to feel the same way; but I am also as close to a realist as person like me can be, and I understand that it isn't going to happen over night. This campus is one of the most apathetic groups of people I have ever seen. I too would love to see thousands of students consistently coming out to games, but it's not going to happen and it's not going to happen until we have the arena, if even then. You can't compare us to other schools that have established, well-known programs. That's like comparing Yale to Meramec Community College. We're not even in the same volume much less the same page.

Don't you DARE call my organization pathetic. We are college kids and we are doing the absolute best that we possibly can with the resources that we have been given...deal with it.

I promise, I won't take anything else personally for a while. Just needed to do it this once.

I am going to post a reply and mean it in a respectful way to all who read:

Do NOT blame Blue Crew or it's prez. These students make up their own minds to go to games or not. Blue Crew DOES recruit (I know this as a recent grad of SLU - 2004). The students have the power to choose Natty Light and Jenna Jameson or go to see their team. I know I went to nearly every game (partially knowing that Jenna and Natty would be there when I got home). But if Blue Crew recruits via campus wide e-mails and has meetings to get students excited, they cannot help student apathy. It is the UNIVERSITY's job to get the students about SLU in general - not just for basketball. If students choose not to participate in Blue Crew or in the College Republicans or the Latin Club or whatever, shame on them. Going to college is not just about the $120,000 piece of paper...it is about the experience. I know the basketball program serves as MANY of my greatest memories. I will never in my life forget rushing the court after we knocked off the #2 Louisville Cardinals. Students will miss out on great games like that and have to think to themselves "Damn, I should have been there." It is their fault and they are cheating themselves on a great experience and the University of a great program. Blue Crew Prez: Good job! Thank you for doing what you can and getting students out there. Without you, that 50 would be 0. To the rest of us posters; we still need to do our job - and I know we are. We will beat the Xaviers (ok...maybe not this weeknd), but those wins will come, and draw more students in; which will help the program. We also cannot blame the programs record solely on students or on attendance - yes it plays a factor. I will tell you though, that the program and the attendance will RISE! Go SLU.