Tyler Griffey, John Brandenburg, Scott Suggs and more

Nate Latsch

Good work, Nate. I read it at home this morning. It was nice to learn more about these kids - I hope we get all three!

You mentioned that we've already offered Griffey; have we offered Brandenburg already as well?

I hope you're planning a future piece on Dustin Maguire. It seems like he wasn't really in the news all that much last season.

And Suggs as well. Here is hoping we land Powell too. The local flavor on this year's team should be a plus for us. UB could build something special at SLU if he nails down these kids especially if Mizzery goes right in the toilet. Keep Quin at Mizzery, good for us.

>I hope you're planning a future piece on Dustin Maguire. It

>seems like he wasn't really in the news all that much last

>season.

This story talks about Edwardsville's team, but not specifically Maguire.

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...A2?OpenDocument

Edwardsville should be really good this year. I think you'll get to read a lot about him over the course of the season — and over the next few years while he's at SLU.

- Nate

I'm sure I am joined by most BIL BD posters in hoping for the day when BS has put together such a program (e. g. Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Marq. and Syracuse) that we are annually getting the top local talent to stay home and play for the local powerhouse. It looks like we COULD be in the early stages of just such a time. Lots of young talent in the area who could continue the TL/KL tradition of the top players staying here.

Looking at today's PD (good job TT) it struck me how great it is for locals players to play in front of their families and friends and to get such great ink. If either TL or KL had gone to Iowa/Tenn/UNLV/or Okl just to use a few examples, there would be little, if any, coverage in their hometown paper on a regular basis. I think a key to this is for Brad to put together really solid recruiting classes this year and next while we still will have DP, DB, LM, TL and KL. I would like to see a really good big 4-man join DM in next years class. Go wherever necessary to get that player and use immediate playing time with a great set of guards as a selling point. Same with a 5-man next year. Other than that it seems like we have loads of really good local players to recruit from the next 3 years and I would like to see us get the cream of that crop. If, and I know that's a big IF, BS can pull this off we will not only have a solid run of NCAA teams but I also think we will once again become one of the "hot" tickets and have top ten attendance.

Having more local players seems to be helping attendance. Last night, I was sitting next to a group of girls who just came to watch Kevin Lisch (I think they went to high school with him). None of them knew who any of the other players were, but they cheered throughout the game, and that's all we can ask for.

I've already had three people (two Illinois residents, one Luke Meyer fan from Washington) ask me if they could have my tickets when I'm not using them. That's never happened before!

Great article and update of the local high school talent Nate. I enjoyed in thoroughly. Would it help to forward a similar message to the Post-Dispatch? You are a good writer - do an excellent job of research, and I want you to get all the credit you deserve and let your editors know how the public feels.

Your comments made me think of my favorite fan in attendance last night. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but at about midcourt in the 1st row facing the team benches, a 10-12 year old kid cheered loudly and held up a sign (Another Swish by Lisch) everytime KL scored. I suspect he is a relative of Kevin or of Billiken Roy.

Also, at the risk of being called a MCP, you had to like 4 female Bluecrew members in the front row with their shirts tied up so you could see GO--BI--LL--S! spelled out (not that I was looking).

>Great article and update of the local high school talent

>Nate. I enjoyed in thoroughly. Would it help to forward a

>similar message to the Post-Dispatch? You are a good writer

>- do an excellent job of research, and I want you to get all

>the credit you deserve and let your editors know how the

>public feels.

Thanks.

You can always e-mail the P-D sports editors. You can find their contact info on the second page of the sports section. I'm sure those guys get a lot of negative e-mails, so they probably enjoy the positive feedback when they get it.

- Nate

>And Suggs as well. Here is hoping we land Powell too. The

>local flavor on this year's team should be a plus for us. UB

>could build something special at SLU if he nails down these

>kids especially if Mizzery goes right in the toilet. Keep

>Quin at Mizzery, good for us.

Uh oh, 72. AJ, Billiphan, cheesy and the rest of Quin's pom pom squad might get their panties in a bunch over this.

a lot of good stuff. i know you dont cross the bridge much, but you need to do the same article with the east side now. the likes of rob rudy, lucas o'rear and reo quarles while not top echelon, are right there with some of the other players you are focused on imo.

the kids with the lisch signs at courtside have a big brother that went to althoff with kevin. no relation to lisch or me.

I know that you were at Suggs' game last night, as was I and I think we can both agree that He really suffers from playing at Washington. He is a good player, but maybe he looks worse than he is because he is not surrounded by decent players. I was not as impressed as I was hoping to be when I saw Suggs play, but if he works on his ball skills, he could be comparable to Shaun Livingston. I will say that he has improved from last season, but still has a lot of work to do. Maybe he should transfer on over to Borgia.. ;)

I went to Lafayette's game today at Borgia. Angres Thorpe was in attendance, as was a Missouri assistant, to watch Griffey. I'm guessing both would stick around to see Suggs. I know Thorpe was.

The official numbers had Tyler Griffey with 24 points, nine rebounds and five blocks against Pacific, but I think he might have really been close to a triple-double. Pacific isn't a very good team, but Griffey has shown a lot already in two games.

I think Suggs had 26 points in his season opener last night, a loss to Hannibal. Suggs plays tonight at Borgia, but I had to come home to get some work done.

- Nate

I didn't mention it in the story, but yes, Griffey and Brandenburg played together with the Gateway Basketball Club this summer.

Suggs plays for the St. Louis Eagles.

I'm not sure, but I think Brandenburg and/or Griffey may play with the Eagles next summer.

If those three try to play together, I think it would make all of them better. It would also make for one really strong summer basketball team.

- Nate

I was at the Borgia Thankgiving Tournament last night and I saw SLU Assistant Coach, although his name escapes me. He definetly saw a good game, as Washington was losing by 3 points with about 20 seconds left. It looked like St. Clair was about to Score an easy bucket but out of now where Suggs rotates down and block the crap outa the ball. Then he gets the ball back dribbles down court crosses over his man and pulled up for the three as time expires. He nailed it and Washington won by 1.

Before I saw anything else, I hope Skip will beleive me. I talked to the coach and he said they " definetly like Scott Suggs" and when I asked his about the area he said they hope to break ground by February....

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sophomore guard Anthony James had 30 points last night. He might be a player to watch in a couple years. He should be able to play his way on to the Gateway or the Eagles this summer he can just put up half the points he scored last night. 30 points in your first game is pretty remarkable.