Given the recent past this may be the saddest......

Grimes played two minutes in the loss to Sam-I-Am State. Being a sophomore, I guess that could be interpreted as meaning there is room for improvement. But last time I checked, he is Mizzou's biggest player. Given that Young is only 6'7" I would suspect he is playing more as an F in his F-C listing. And Young only played 21 minutes shooting 1 for 5 and scoring 2 points. He did lead them with 7 rebounds so that's a positive but finished with 4 fouls so I'm suspecting he was in trouble. Without firsthand knowledge, I'm assuming Quinny went small given the opposition.

I don't want to take guys because of past press clippings so I would think th jury is out on this guy. One season plus one game does not a recommendation make but right now, I'd rather create our own "lemon" and be surprised as to taking someone else's. Of course, Grimes could go nuts and I'd think differently later and look like my usual foolish self so who knows at this point.

Any transfer that comes in has to sit a year and I would offer that we need immediate on court help in the 4-5 area. Any JUCO that comes in usually take a year to acclimate. A freshman could end up like JJ. But I am more inclined to suffer our own failures than take some others.

I wasn't pushing for him, but have got to think with all his hs/aau hype he can't be happy the way his careers gone at Ole Mizzery. Where the hell is Broy? I thought this post would smoke him out, eg: "SLU doesn't need Mizzery's castoffs and malcontents!"

I saw Grimes play several times during his high school career - everyone was right about him being a physical stud. He had all the physical attributes to be a big time player somewhere. The problem is in high school, he seemed somewhat disinterested in playing up to his potential at times - in fact most of the time. In a game you would see him dominate for a play or two and then he would simply disappear and you would finally see him on the bench. Apparently, he has continued this trend at MU. I would not mind taking a flyer on Grimes but I would have to be absolutely certain that he was motivated - if not then no. A kid like Grimes not only hurts you by taking up a schollie but then the hometown crowd beats you up for not playing him and blames you. What with the McKinney experience and Grimes not playing - Quinn is in big trouble locally. Here is a thought - I think we are better off with Quinn staying at MU rather than leaving. I for one am hoping he closes strong this year and makes the NIT thus making it hard to dump him. Brad needs a good year and one more big local recruiting crop to solidify that he has closed the borders. Another year of Quinn at MU would let that happen.

cheese said "I would not mind taking a flyer on Grimes but I would have to be absolutely certain that he was motivated - if not then no."...so the answer then is no, correct???? b/c no one, Grimes included, can prove that he is motivated.

WHEN he plays, he is great 3 feet and in from the goal playing against people smaller than him. that is what I observed.

We don't need the headache.

Interesting take on QS staying in Columbia to help SLU, that is a thought provoker. I can't say I disagree.

that Snyder was able to recruit him given all the rumors surrounding his future emplyoment, however, the kid may view it as a free option meaning if Snyder stays then I get to go to the team I want but if Snyder gets canned the NCAA has shown precident in letting kids out of their LOI. If he likes Mizzou's next coach then he can still go, if he hates him then he likely won't have to sit out at all. Its a win/win.

I did not realize SLU had offered him. Where did you see that.

Also, Ian plays on the Greek team, not Lithuanian...

Grimes's mother went to MU if I remember correctly. The point I was trying to make with Grimes if he wanted to transfer to SLU was that he has so much promise and if Brad could get some sense that he was going to put the effort in then I would take a flyer on him. Just to say take him no matter the circumstances would be wrong. Some on this board would not take him under any circumstances and all I am saying is I would at least be open to the idea.

Cheese, my take on the "no to Grimes" scenario is he is not UB's type of player. Strike one and two are his lack of consistent effort. I picture Grimes and JJ in the same dog house. UB won't have it.

Strike three, imo, is that he is not that good.

But this may all be for nought anyway.

could SLU turn down a player of Grimes' size and finishing ability (albeit he needs to be within 3 feet of the basket to finish) considering our lack of production from the 4 spot? Its one thing to turn down someone like Xavier Price when you have a ton more guards but we have nothing at the 4 spot. Vashun will graduate and JJ will be a senior next season. Obi is the only other player we have and he can't jump right now. Whether Brad likes his work effort or not its crazy not to take a flier on a kid with that size.

Of course the whole idea of Kalen looking to transfer is speculative at best.

p.s. I don't really agree with the idea that McKinney would have necessarily been better off here than at Mizzou. Some players are just dominant on the highschool level but can't fulfill their potential in college. Normally its because they aren't great shooters and can't get the close in or wide open looks they did in highschool. Julian Winfield comes to mind.

Kshoe - people in St. Louis believe that Jimmy was maybe the best ever if not in the top 3 of all players to come out of St. Louis. No one knows for sure what happened to Jimmy at MU but most think it was mainly due to MU not having a true point guard and Jimmy being forced into that unsuitable role. At SLU, we had true point guards - Fisher, Marque, and now DP. I think Jimmy would have flourished here - he had everything pointing to him being successful.

what dont you get?

$nyder being able to "sign" recruits? when you lie, cheat, tell em what they want to hear, give them what they dont even ask for, pull strings and open doors that no one else will, it takes a pretty stong kid to say no to all that. his recruiting success doesnt surprise me one bit.

Grimes is a beast. Young is absolute garbage and has given them nothing, but Snyder has played him heavily every year. I dont under stand. Young is horrible. No offensive game whatsoever and his defense is nothing to brag about. He's worse than Monte Hardge. I dont know what love affair Snyder has with him, but I wish he would get over it. Grimes was a top 100 player and an absolute beast in AAU. He would immediately be our second best big man and average 10+ppg from the first day at SLU. Give him the ball. In AAU they have Grimes the ball and that's how he got his lofty ranking. At Central you had 2 other Div1 players jacking up shots in addition to a couple Div 2 players and other college basketball players. Coach Kruse was horrible.

grimes a beast?

well maybe for a total of 30 minutes for his entire life.

anyone that watched grimes in high school can indeed he had moments where you thought you were seeing the reincarnation of wes unseld. however for every rim rattling roof shaking dunk, there would be 10 times where he was thouroughly outplayed by 6'2" 180 lb high school centers that couldnt even play intramurals in college.

i suspect that trend continues or else $nyder would be a total idiot. considering $nyder's job is on the line, i seriously doubt that grimes has mended his on court habits of effort. if we are voting, i am voting and hoping grimes stays in columbia.

It's a common problem of coaches telling players what they want to hear in the recruiting process. Rich Grawer allowed Monroe Douglas to play guard when his talents were better at the 3 position. Julian Winfield was recruited to be a point when he couldn't handle the ball. You are correct Jimmie wanted to be a point, seeing that as his road to the NBA. We would have had the same problem as Missouri.

some of romar's recruiting finishes were directly attributed to not telling the recruit what they wanted to hear and then the winning coach doing just the opposite.

it was my understanding that romar would not promise either mckinney or mo baker they would be point guards. $nyder and sutton did and both won the battle. funny, baker then played wing primarily at ok state and mckinney has been shifted around so much at mi$$ouri he doesnt know what position he is.