tip off club meeting

got to get this in before Roy does, saw him on the other side of the meeting.

another great meeting, Cheryl Levick, Brad and Earl Austin were there.

Cheryl..excited over women soccer in the NCAA, men #1 seed in soccer and beginning of bball season.

arena..expects two big corporate gifts in the next month, right now we are at 23.5mil toward the 35 mil goal.

spent time today with the design of a bball practice facility attached to the arena...everyone was pleased and excited. Not a done deal, but she is pushing for this hard.

Brad-starting 5 DP, TL, DB, AD, IV.

Obi has lost 18 lbs, still over the weight he was when he last played. Knee not up to strength yet. Will play in the two pre season games tyhen decide what to do with this year.

IV has a younger brother, Alex, 6-7 sophomore.

BH most improved player on the team.

AD most competitive kid I've ever coached.

We will rebound by committee, when we are in the four guard lineup.

FT 77% in preseason. Tomorrow will be the first time we will be in the Saviss Center to practice all year...(what a crock! That is an mhg editorial, folks. Exactly why we need our arena now)

AD 43% 3pt, DP 44% 3pt. DB not where we want him yet.

Earl-

Tomorrow we will sign Dustin McGuire, best perimeter shooter in the area. Likens him to Drew Diener, but more mobile.

We now have a team going in the right direction, 1/3 of the team next year will be from St Louis.

Stressed in most emphatic way what a GREAT impact Billiken Madness was to local recruits who were at the event. 8 prominent HS players were there, mainly through word of mouth. Earl spoke of the energy there that nite, the electricity of the event. Tyus, Suggs (Washighton, MO), Waller and Shopshire (sp?, sorry) from Ft Zumwalt West, Guffey (6-8 Lafayette), Kramer S and fountree (McClure N).

Said we need now to capitalize on this momentum boost.

Alex Tyus is now interested in SLU, but we are still an underdog. He is classified as a jr in Cincinatti.

J leonard--had a series of surgeries, has not been seen.

John Bradbury, 6-10 Jr Desmet big change from last year to this year.

Alumni-Perry in Italy, Izik in Israel, Love-China.

There are no local bigs who might help us for next year. Probably a JUCO, and a development type guy like BH as well. Will sign in the spring. Earl has no names to offer for us.

Great meeting, excitement abounds. See everyone tomorrow.

mhg

>>There are no local bigs who might help us for next year. Probably a JUCO, and a development type guy like BH as well.<<

I'd prefer we not sign another developmental center in the spring of this season and, instead, pocket the scholarship for the rich junior class.

"BH most improved player on the team"

I don't remember Brad saying this. He did say that compared to where he was when he came in is like night and day. But he also said he has a way to go. He is only a sophomore, so the outlook is good.

Brad was really in a good mood. He mumbled something about blue smoke and AD before the game tomorrow.

The game tomorrow is a doubleheader with the women's team. I had overlooked that.

Cheryl is going with the women's soccer team to Santa Clara. (Anyone hear any more about the Stanford AD job?) She encouraged everyone to come out for the 7:30 soccer game Friday night. Would be great to have a large crowd.

I would just get some big man. Ian is gone after next year. Get someone to get a year under their belt to back-up Bryce in 2 years.

My ideal would always to get at least one Big Man every year. Project or not. Having 4 on the team at all times would be excellent.

I am surprised that nothing really has been reported about this - when she was originally projected as a possible successor she said that she would not pursue the job. I realize that that does not mean she would not talk to them but I just thought there would have been more chatter about it on the board if this was actually progressing. If she leaves, what does that do to the arena progress?

If CL is looking for a larger university/better opportunity lets hope she isn't a bride's maid. I would perfer an AD who focuses on SLU, not outside opportunities. That said, I don't think CL is a serious candidate at Stanford.

+2 (Currently unused)

+2 (graduating AD and VN)

-1 (DM scolly)

+2 (graduating IV and JJ) =

5 schollys for the junior class if we don't pick up anybody this spring. Add in the inveitability that someone else on this team leaves b/c of playing time, flunks out, gets hit by a bus, etc. and I think we'll have 6.

We need to find a PF this spring and even if he is a project or a longshot we should take him. We have plenty of schollys for the junior class. I'm tired of waiting for something better to come along and it never does.

I agree ... I have no problem with having a project big man in the pipeline. BTW ... Bryce is no longer a project, he can and will contribute this year. The time to add one though is this year so he can redshirt next year and back up Bryce during his Sr year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

skip said, "Bryce is no longer a project, he can and will contribute this year."

skip i would still constitute bryce as a project. for example, if ian got hurt and was out for the season, how would the alternative strike you?

i agree bryce appears to be better. and the fact he is quickly improving and is about 8 foot tall is exciting. but he isnt ready to be a steady contributor that will give us more positive than negative moments.

I feel much better putting Leon Powell out on the floor to guard the opposing 4 than Danny Brown or Luke Meyer. I understand Tyus is now listed as a junior putting him in the '07 class. I'll take Orangejulius' word that we have a shot at him. Wouldn't that be a coup if we signed Powell & Tyus in the same class?