Inside info

my source tells me that Alex Tyus is indeed interested in SLU and that you can bank it on a spring start to the basketball arena. I did not get a number as to where the fund raising is in relation to the magical $35Mil, but he heard that we are on target and it will be done.

I was more excited about Tyus than the bldg, as I fully expect it to be built.

mhg

It's just too bad that the space ark is almost ready and our forced resettlement to the new Earth is at hand......Then again don't spread it around.....The govt doesn't want to scare the stupid people who can't wrap their head around it.....

Just kidding.

If you are correct, that is exciting news. I agree that Tyus is more exciting than the arena.

My take is that they will keep it quiet til they have the $ in hand, so they can continue to press for more commitments. If anyone can get to the Tip Off Club and ask the question of where we are with fundraising, I would appreciate it. It's 750pm and I'm still here at the office, and don't think I will be able to get down there by 6p tomorrow.

Please send us the info on the arena, and if there is anyone there like Earl Austin (sure haven't seen him at a meeting in awhile), ask about Tyus.

mhg

While I was receiving a tour of the campus, the guide said that they plan on starting on the arena very soon. The man said that they had recently received a donation or something like that where they will be able to begin shortly. Also on a side note, I talked to Luke and he will get his cast off on Wednesday, so hopefully he will be able to practice shortly. Went to economics this morning and saw Dwayne Polk, seems like a nice kid.

That's great news for the program. If we could get Tyus (not saying we will) and get the arena built, that would really help build our program into what we've all dreamed of it becoming!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Before Alex came to Billiken madness, there were no signs of him being interested in coming to SLU. Any idea why he's considering us now? Is he friends with any of our current players? Or maybe he wants to play in front of his friends and family and knows he'll get instant playing time here? Whatever the reason is, I'm VERY glad he's interested. According to rivals, he's the 36th best junior in the country. Obviously the last Bill rated that high was "the Legend."

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

no clue to his reasons on this, just passing along info. I'm sure there is much water yet to pass downstream in the recruiting of young Mr Tyus. When you are this high on the radar screen, and the list of schools with interest in him is a who's who of D1 ball, many pitfalls can hold us back. Obviously, a good start to the season is imperative.

Last year I was disappointed with the squad's performance, especially in light of the lack of hockey in town. This year's Blues team may actually give the Bills a greater opportunity to give the local community something positive to cling to. I really like the tag line for the Bills' marketing, 'Your Home Team', a direct slap at Mi$$ou.

mhg

Where there's smoke there's usually some fire. Given the school's interested in him you would have thought we'd have been eliminated from any consideration long ago. Especially given his comments, "I want to play outside Mo." Who knows, maybe he sees instant PT and 3 of the top local recruits at SLU and is saying hey, I could fit in here ok."

maybe now that tyus has been away from home it isnt as neat as he thought it would be. maybe tyus wants to play with kevin lisch and tommie liddell. maybe playing in front of mom and dad means something. a lot of reasons could have us in the running.

however, just wait till the negative recruiting starts up.

Roy, actually, it is hard for negative recruiting to have a big an impact on a local kid since they are familiar with the school and players. Now if you are from out town then I would agree that negative recruiting would play a big role since the kid really does not have first hand knowledge.

from what i have been told, we lost darius miles mainly because of negative recruiting. the national recruits face a lot of national peer pressure when out on the aau circuit and when those other players are echoing what the national programs are negatively spreading about slu, i would think it would be damn tough to stand up to that.

Roy,

You have told me before that you consider "negative" recruiting to be stuff like "hey Tyus, come to my school because we sell out every game and have great fans," the "negative" interpretation being that SLU doesn't sell out every game and doesn't have great fans. To me it seems like that coach is just discussing the positives of his school (as compared to others). Do you still believe that this is negative recuruiting?

Do you feel its negative recruiting if Brad is talking to a player like Matt Shaw and says come play in CUSA or the A-10 so you can play against the best and gain exposure, the implication being that the MVC isn't deep and won't get you national exposure.

Is it negative recruiting to talk about a specific degree program your school has (and the other schools don't) that the recruit may be interested in.

I think you blur the line between "negative" recruiting against a school and "positive" recruting of your own school, likely in areas that the other schools aren't as good.

How can you argue that its negative recuruiting if Bruce Webber says to a recruit, wouldn't you rather come here and play in front of a packed stadium, on ESPN every other night and go to the final four then go to SLU and play for 7,000 people and hope for an NIT birth?

funny you bring up weber. weber acted like a total idiot jerk when lisch committed to slu.

anyway, to me negative recruiting is telling the recruit why he doesnt want to go to a school not why he should go to theirs.

i.e. "slu only won 9 games last year"

or

"slu has no practice gym"

or

"slu has no off campus arena"

or

"slu will make you go to class"

or

"slu doesnt run"

or

"slu has tommie liddell to play your position"

etc.

oh i agree it can go both ways. and like our recent presidential elections, i believe that the recruiting process descends to these levels more than the other way. the question is who can paint the worst picture for their competition.

i believe the arena will help with this issue more than anything else.

Since Ike we have had 2 first round draft picks that I can remember - probably more drafted than any of us can remember.

Roy, none of that is negative recruiting to me - to me negative recruiting is something like this: don't go to SLU because they are a crappy team and their coach could not coach himself out of paper bag. All those things listed by others are simply facts that any good salesman would mention. Miles always wanted to go to the NBA - Romar getting him would have only broken our hearts again - besides, St. John was left holding the bag when he was drafted - better them than us.

the first thing i mentioned in my examples was slu's record last year.

my point is, positive recruiting is talking about the good things at your school. negative recruiting is mentioning the bad things about the other program.