To GoSLU (& all): This is not a "free" board

GoSLU posed the question, "Isn't this a free board?" in requesting that I not lock his offensive thread. SluSignGuy can correct me if necessary, but my feeling is that this board isn't a public board. This is Steve's website, and he chooses what it represents, and at his discretion he can change or remove whatever he feels poorly represents his site. Users of this board agreed to an acceptable usage policy (AUP) when they registered to post here. That means folks must adhere to the policy.

As for those who accuse me of abusing my power as a moderator, I pose the question, Am I abusing my power or are some posters abusing their privilege? As posters have to register and agree to the AUP, posting here is a privilege rather than a right. What in the world to folks here have to complain about? My goodness, this board is far more lenient than most other sports-discussion boards. Steve rarely bans or censors anyone (and he has the right to do so -- see the AUP), and he lets a lot of stuff of questionable taste stay on the board, but he made one small request that a post with an objectionable word (used in a name-calling fashion) no longer be bumped to the top of the board for everyone to see, and people get bent out of shape. I locked the thread, but it's NOT censorship. Posters may still post about soccer or virtually any topic, and they may also debate as vehemently (almost) as they desire, so how is locking a thread with a word many people consider to be profanity in the highly-visible subject amount to censorship or abuse of moderating?

Some posters have privately complained about such verbage on the board, and I feel they have as much right to read informative and opinionated posts without being offended as other posters have to post about soccer and debate it compared to basketball. It would be a shame to lose those posters/readers by allowing some posters to disregard the AUP. It's not that hard to follow the rules of this board. Avoid name-calling and threats, and keep the conspicuous use of profanity to a minimum (if I had my way, there would be NONE, but Steve runs this board, not I, and I'm just helping out). Some minors read this site, as evidenced by the fact that the site operator started it as a teenager. Okay, peeps?

... for thicks.

I agree with the above in that your position is well stated. I don't have a problem. We've seen very few instances of this and the idiot who blatantly tried to steal or replicate broy's addy for obviously negative purposes. You are right on with the consent agreement thing. I say carry on.

As one of the old timers who had fits when the board was unregistered and we had to deal with more t&t's and big studs that I care to remember, I have no complaints over this policy and endorse both thicks and Steve in their operation of this site. It may be "free" in that it costs nothing, but its not "free" in the way of abdicating responsible behavior. Carry on.

I believe it does cost something ... and Steve pays it. That alone gives him the right to allow or ban aqt his will.

I am not saying he does ... I think this board is very fair and leniant ... just that he does have the right.

The thread in qyestion was nothing but a few people threatening and calling one another names.

I am an huge soccer fan and poster ... but fact is if Steve or his representative decided that Soccer threads were not allowed ... I would have to live with it and start my own or find another board.

We should be thankful for what we have and respect the job Steve and Thicks do.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

This board is very tolerant of opposing views in terms of allowing them to be posted--the posters may be attacked but that is part of the game.

However, truly abusive and inappropriate material should be eliminated and I would suggest that Thicks and Steve use their good judgement to eliminate any post that is offensive.

There is no constitutional right to post offensive messages on a private website. Ignore the idiot!! Thanks for all you do to keep this board alive and well!

Thicks although I agree I should not have used the subject line I did(and I went back and edited it after Steve asked me to) the fact of the matter is that Billiken Rich's numerous very offensive and unnecessary posts in the soccer threads is what started this entire issue. I sat by idly for a LONG time putting up with his ignorant and snide remarks and had had enough. He continued to make personal attacks on the sport and myself that I would not let idly go by any longer.

And your right this is not a "free" board in the sense you described and I myself do not want it cluttered with profanity and unnecessary posts. I've come to really enjoy this board for ALL Billiken athletics and hope that we can return to a sense of respect and worthwile content.

Thanks to Steve for giving us this forum.

GS

get off your high horse. your attitude towards billiken basketball, which is top interest of 99.999999% of this board was nothing that endeared yourself to anyone on this board. if i was you, i wouldnt ask for a vote of "if you could remove one or the other" from the general postership of this board between you and rich.

>get off your high horse. your attitude towards billiken

>basketball, which is top interest of 99.999999% of this

>board was nothing that endeared yourself to anyone on this

>board. if i was you, i wouldnt ask for a vote of "if you

>could remove one or the other" from the general postership

>of this board between you and rich.

Get off your high horse! Again is this www.billikenbasketball.com board? NO!!!!!!!!!

And I could care less how many people don't want to hear about soccer and there are more posters here that care about Billiken soccer than you think. Just ignore the soccer posts and keep your mouth shut and everything will be fine.

>Thanks for your support Roy. I'll try to avoid stirring up

>the soccer loonies again. I will not post on a soccer

>thread again without provocation.

There you go again with the personal attacks!

You show your true ignorant colors with every post.

ph i agree it is not titled as such but it might as well be. go look at the home page.

a statistics and schedule link for the men's basketball team at slu.

pictures of the billiken cheerleaders at a basketball game.

the billiken pep band at a basketball game.

a link to the roster of the men's basketball team

a running schedule and results section for the men's basketball team

the marque section talks about the billikens basketball team's start thus far even though the soccer team is playing in the college elite 8.

now if you want to look at the message board content, on the first two pages of the board, there are:

46 strings about basketball.

3 about steve being a nerd,

3 of you and billiken rich p!ssing on each other, and

4 about soccer.

this comes at a time when slu is about to play their biggest soccer game in a number of years. and of those 4 strings, one deals with taj explaining to steve how to take a train from d.c. to maryland and one where there is only one post by aj adrete telling us that he went to the game.

i.e. better rethink your assertion about soccer has this mass following.

like i said upfront, yeah the site is not titled billikenbasketball.com, but the facts say it may as well.

my advice is take the few crumbs of strings that come your way soccerwise, enjoy them, and be happy a few of the billiken basketball fans are also soccer fans thus giving you a few people to discuss the games with. but it seems like you think you are going to come here and strong arm the rest of us into kneeling at the soccer alter and becoming converts. i am thrilled mr donnigan is having great success and i hope it only gets better. but i am doubting you are winning new followers. in fact, they way you have acted has actually reinforced my lack of want to see a soccer game.

Cone on now ... Rich said he wouldn't post on a soccer thread ... who cares if he said without provocation ... don't provoke him and it won't be an issue. Rich conceded ... step up and let it go also.

There should not be an issue about which is the better sport ... and obviously there are far more people who post that are interested in basketball than soccer ... but Steve has said he doesn't mind the soccer post and he may even support the team by going to the game. So those not interested in soccer ignore the thread ... we can even make sure we put soccer in the headline so it will be obvious.

Rich contrary to a few of the other posters ... I understand that generally you truly don't like soccer ... but aren't really trying to be cruel ... just injecting your humor. Thank You for conceding and agreeing to leave the posts alone.

Now ... soccer posters please let enough be enough and graciously move on and all this will be over

Sorry to preach ... but I love this board and don't like what these posts become ... Even though I got out of this before it got carried away, I was initially involved in getting on Rich and starting some of this ... I am sorry for my part.

skip in this string i say nothing about any sport being "better". i am only pointing out to goslu that the entire website is designed and devoted mainly to men's basketball. goslu is more or less demanding equal time and enthusiasm for soccer, and i pointed out it most likely isnt going to happen here.

I agree Roy ... I wasn't talking about any particular post ... just the whole thread in general.

I am equal fans of both.

I grew up playing soccer and played basketball and soccer on base level teams in the Air Force ... which is better than high school but no where near Div 1. Maybe at about the Div 2 or 3 level. No players at all that would be top 100 recruits in either sport but all players better than the average HS player ... so my heart is with both sports.

>skip in this string i say nothing about any sport being

>"better". i am only pointing out to goslu that the entire

>website is designed and devoted mainly to men's basketball.

>goslu is more or less demanding equal time and enthusiasm

>for soccer, and i pointed out it most likely isnt going to

>happen here.

Rich I am not demanding equal time and enthusiasm for soccer at all. I realize this board is mainly interested in basketball but there are several of us who really enjoy following the Soccer Bills and I got tired of the ignorant and snide remarks that were constantly made in the soccer threads by Billiken Rich and others. They were out of line and unnecessary.

Oh, everybody lighten up. It's when people get upset and seem uptight that the posts get interesting. We're not debating human life here. It's sports. If people relax it won't cause others to retaliate. The posts will go away without direction from others when things are lighthearted.

I agree ... everyone should lighten up and cut out the name calling.

My concern is this ... We all know this is mainly a basketball board ... the post that started or evolved around soccer have lately evolved into nothing but name calling and offers to meet and discuss who will beat who up. Steve and Thicks who moderate the board have asked that it stop and it hasn't. I don't want it to get to the point where they are saying that the soccer posts start this so this will be a basketball only thread ... I'm not saying I think it will I just don't want to see the subject even broached.

Second ... we are adults on this board ... argueing a subject tooth and nail is fine, but it should not get personal to the level this did.

Rich agreed to stop posting on soccer threads ... so us soccer guys should appreciate that and move on.

Next ... I thought you were going to come over and introduce yourself ...

I just found out this morning I have a situation on my job and will probably not be able to attend the AZ game. ( Yes .. I am very pissed off ... but it is a situation I can't get around. ) So you are going to have to pick up the slack for our section.