Brads prediction for the upcoming season!

A disturbing phone call I received today from a very reliable source in the athletic department. Coach Soderberg was recently asked in a meeting with CL about his predicted win/ loss total for the 05-06 season and coach responeded with a 9-21 prediction. I was told this was leaked to a couple of staff members that were shocked to hear coach say that in a meeting with Cheryl. There has been a lot of speculation on this board the past few months on how we are going to be vastly improved but it seems like our head coach is preparing the AD for a similar season as last year. Personally, I don't know what to think of those statements. Needless to say I was shocked and hope Brad is just sand bagging a little.

WTF!

are you trying to flame or what?

I talked with the man a week or so ago and he sure as hell didn't expect a 9-21 season! he does feel that charlotte will win the confrence.

if you are trying to stir up some sh!t then go outside and do some yard work.

fight on!

We weren't really THAT bad last year. 11 of the 21 losses came during the last minute of play or overtime. Had our two leading scorers been healthy all year (Tom WAS the BEST shooter in CUSA the year before), the results would have been different. We would have been AT LEAST a .500 team. Injuries really took a toll and then it just became too late to save the season.

My source said the question went like this though

CL: Brad what do you think your record would be if Tommie, Ian, Kevin, Dwayne, Obi, and Luke all blew out hamstrings in the next few months.

Brad: What the hell kind of question is that? maybe 9 and 21?

Have a nice day. I hear that Time Magazine has an opening...............

Ok, I can see an AD aksing a coach how do you see the upcoming season. But, I can't see a coach giving a precise answer that basically says we're gonna stink it up just like last year and maybe win 9 games. I can't imagine any leader/manager predicting a specific disaster like that. We're young, we lack a proven scorer, we lack an established leader, it's a guard's game and ours will be learning on the job, and our front court poses more question marks than W's presidency, but we're gonna work hard, develop these kids, and play our asses off every game. This I can imagine as a reasoned response. I think your source is on crack.

I think people are too quick to jump on this Brad prediction being incorrect/misquoted.

I don't have time to search for it, but something is sticking in my head that for last year Brad predicted us to have the same record we had the year before. Something to the extent, there is nothing proven to show that we will have a better record, so he didn't predict as such.

UB may in fact be thinking we're in for a repeat, but no coach would ever come out and say it just like that. Basically, he's telling his team, the fans, media, etc....we don't have a chance in hell to win 67% of our games. Look at the fallout from such a prediction: team says hey our coach thinks we're losers, fans might as well stay home because the coach thinks there's a high probability we'll lose, media would blast him. Now granted he supposedly said this in a private meeting to his boss, so who really knows what goes on in there. But when someone tells UB that he's been quoted on Billikens.com as saying we're gonna be 9-21 again he's gonna be pi**ed off and asking CL to find out who leaked it.

my belief of the flaming start to this string is that possibly brad indeed said such but it is taken out of context. i.e. there is a "well it could anywhere from....." missing. or possibly it was qualified with a "well if our two best players get injured again....."

if i am wrong, and the always negative towards the program billsboy (boy did he ever flame the program at stltoday.com) is 100% accurate, then cheryl should and would fire brad immediately. who would want a coach who brings in his top recruiting class as a head coach to be predicting doom and gloom to that extent? the fact he hasnt been fired yet tells me that something is missing from billsboy's statement. i have no reason to believe that billsboys isnt somehow inside connected. in fact, he has posted info before at stltoday.com that leads me to believe he is. but that doesnt mean he doesnt have an ax to grind vs father biondi, cheryl levick or coach soderberg.

i'll choose to believe that the words are not accurate.

Well I wouldn't be surprised at anything the coach says or doesn't say, for I have learned a lot from him personally as a coach and an emotional one at that. With that in mind, it would be incredibly Silly for him to say that, even if he thought it, simply because he's placing himself at a disadvantage. If this was a private conversation, unless it's from Levick herself saying this, I wouldn't read much into it. I'm definitely not gonna curse you out because you shared some info that opposes the majority..just be carefuly sharing your info.

If the info is correct ... I am going to be the next president.

Get real ... if Chery'l would even ask Brad to predict his record this season it wouldn't be in an open conversation that others could hear. I can see Chery'l requiring the coaches to give an objective report on what they predict for the upcoming season ... but it would probably be in writing ... not in some open conversation that would allow some "trustworthy" guy or girl to overhear. Who by the way doesn't seem very trustworthy as they couldn't keep their big mouth shut.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman