Cheerio...My summer plans...

This could go on the offseason board, but it is somewhat impacting to the Billikens.com Community.

In one week, the Sign Guy is crossing the Atlantic Ocean to say hello to some of those English Chaps. As you know, I interned for John Kerry/Kerry-Edwards. Well, my guy lost, so I am leaving this country for a place that elected people closer to my tastes.

Just kidding…Sort of…

This summer, I will be interning in The United Kingdom Parliament for (Conservative) Christopher Fraser (we agree on very little from what I have researched). I leave for Mother Country Sunday, and I will return to the States on July 30th. I am living in London with another GW student. GW actually is giving us $3,000 each to do this, but with the weak dollar, which is only covering housing over there (When I had to pay for it, the dollar was at its weakest in months). Still, it isn’t too bad of a deal. Just wish the dollar were stronger.

Anyway, I do not foresee this causing any complications for Billikens.com other than there will be now a 7 hour time difference between myself and West Pine Gym. If problems do occur, I am sure something can be worked out. Billikens.com has run pretty much on auto-pilot, with a slip up here or there, since I have come to college, so hopefully I do not have to do any late night coding/scripting in England.

I have never left the United States, but I got my passport and ticket, and I am ready to go…The question is will I pick up the accent (I have easily done so before when I just hung out Brits). I am looking forward to it, and hopefully I will see a good match of Cricket.

Just wanted to update you guys,

Steve

Steve ... you will have a great time. IMO London is the best city I have ever been to and I have been to alot. My fav place is Covent Gardens ... kicking back having a few beers and watching the street performers. I'm assuming nothing has changed since '89.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Congrats Steve on your summer internship. I am sure you will enjoy every day!

After a couple of weeks in London be sure to get out of that big city to see what the United Kingdon is really like. I would suggest a weekend trip to Wales (the "Land of Castles"), only two hours from London. Try the village of Usk, Wales if you get the chance. I have always found that the smaller the town or village, the better the taste of that country!

Steve, I lived in the UK a while back, was a great adventure.

In London, my favorite eating place is called Efes, is on Great Titchfield not far from Oxford Circus, is a ka-bob house, great food and fairly reasonable.

I would avoid Wales, all that is there are sheep.

I am not a big literature/arts kind of person, but Stratford-on-Avon is neat and not too far from London.

Wimbledon will be taking place while you are there, a grounds pass is probably around $25, can't get to Centre Court or Court 1, but that is a cool place.

Good luck, enjoy the adventure, enjoy the beer (lager or bitters) and bring your walking shoes!!!!

Steve, have been to the isles many times. It's really a lot of fun as the British are mostly pro US. The old WW II alliance and all. Definitely get to the shore and travel the country roads. Someone mentioned Wales....great place. Beer is stronger and served very large. Good luck, someday I expect we will see your name on a ballot. You're getting into a nasty business though.

Steve you'll have a chance to see lots of great sporting events there, but I would not say cricket is one of them. I enjoyed the Henley regatta, Wimbledon tennis and British Open golf the summer I was there. I wanted to see the Grand Prix, but it was the same weekend as the golf tournament in Hoylake, up near Liverpool, which was fantastic. You will notice a real difference in the deportment of the sports fans there (except for the soccer hooligans)

Yea, Steve speaking of sports we know about the Brits being crazy about their soccer. Maybe you can report back to us on Malcolm Glazer's attempt to purchase Manchester United. It has been a big story here in Tampa, and as of Friday he was very close to having controling interest in the team. Good luck to you in the UK.

Yes, Reg had surgery on his injured foot..a ripped tendon actually in his foot, has invites to camps, has an agent etc..but had to get surgery and rehab before he makes any decisions. The one certainty is he will continue to play ball on the professional level.

have fun steve. what a great opportunity. if you get a chance, go get your picture taken with those buckingham palace guards and see if you can get them to smile for the camera.

Have fun Steve!

In sports...

Seriously by all means.....when you are there...make your way to Liverpool on May 25th....when you get there you will need no explanation why...it is European Champions League Final...no it isn't taking place in Liverpool, but Liverpool is playing Italy's AC Milan in a hugely anticipated big big deal in the finals....and Liverpool will be hoppin...

Also I couldn't agree more with the tip on making it to Wimbledon. It is a must. Try to go when local bridesmaid, gentleman Tim Henman is playing for more excitement, or a popular American like Agassi.

...Let me know if you get any post trip side trip thoughts like Ireland etc...some must see's....

The real benefit this summer will be the chance to see another point of view from inside the beltway. A conservative MP will teach a lot to a Kerry fan. The great cultural offerings of London, like west end theater, which was a bargain compared to Broadway, NYC when I was there (too long ago, 1967, the Summer of Love) thought I don't know what the Yankee $ will buy now. Just put it on your credit card and worry about paying later, this is a great opportunity and you want to take full advantage while you are there. Cheers!

steve,

you'll want to take the eurostar train to paris. 3 hours from london to paris and yougo through the chunnel. a very nice train ride with speeds in france around 175 to 180mph. the ride is smooth and you would never realize that your going that fast.

we enjoyed london but i really liked paris. i'm partial though since my wife lived there for two years and is fluent in the language. you can get around paris easily buy using the metro.

enough tourists in paris you'll lhear a fair amount of english.

enjoy!