Billikids

SLUMS81

can you pinpoint when in the game they "wasted" a timeout? i know newborne got trapped in the corner once and had to call a timeout to avoid a turnover, and luke had a steal once where he was on the floor and called the timeout to avoid a jump or a travel. but other than that, what was wasted? and is it a waste to avoid a turnover?

my guess is that someone screwed up. either polk or drejaj likely were supposed to come and get the ball from the rebounder. not both go sprinting down the floor. brown was likely to have been around the halfline for an outlet. i think all three took off for the other end.

or maybe just growing pains of a team not primarily a fast break team where things are automatic, plus a combination of youth. a recipe for failure. izik and reggie should have been in the game imo.

That was my point earlier. Why not shoot 2, rather than step back and allow yourself to be rushed and blocked.

As for wasted timeouts, my point was that when you go into the corner repeatedly, hold the ball and don't have someone to come help you, you are going to have "waste" timeouts. The timeouts taken were necessary but why put yourself in a position where you have to "waste" them.

It was a busted play (or a non-play) all the way around. You could see him thinking about what to do with the ball the entire time he had it in his possession. There was a little too much basketball IQ going on. It is something he will learn from and thereby become a better player. I am glad he had the opportunity to learn from the situation, it will make him and the team better next season.

With all due respect, and with some trepidation, I would point out that Reggie had a very off game in all regards and it would have been a mistake to put him in at the end. He was 0-4 from 3 point range and three of those were wide open. He made one shot out of 6 and had two terrible turnovers that lead to fast breaks by UAB. Somehow we all have the vision that Reggie is Marque Perry and the fact is that he is not and never will be Marque. Now that he has been off for a long time and he has a sore foot so I can understand that he would be rusty. But that is the reason you do not put him in for the last few seconds.

points well taken billikan, but one could also say when it comes down to 9 seconds, any extra experience is better. reggie would have found a way to get that shot up to the basket imo. and izik has demonstrated he can get his own shot as well.

B-roy, am I dreaming or didn't we have a couple game ending plays earlier in the season and Reg did not get off a shot or at least got it blocked as much as LM did?? or is your point he would have progressed at this point in the season to not be in the same situation as earlier?

I don't think he was stepping back to shoot a 3 ... I think he was stepping back to create a little space. Luke is not a jump shooter with someone in his face and never will be. He should have tried to shoot a runner while going to the basket if he couldn't get the ball into someone else's hands. It looked like he panicked a bit ... but he is a freshman who has only been getting major minutes for a few games. We also need to give credit to UAB's defense which I think did a good job of preventing Luke from getting the ball to an open player.

Regardless of anything else ... the difference in this game was free throws and turnovers. IMO Polk got mauled a few times ... but since this is UAB's style they are allowed to grab, hold and bump on the perimiter. Our free throw shooting though is inexcusable ... especially for a guard like Dwayne

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

the luke meyer that we saw in december wouldnt have even tried to bring the ball down the floor let alone try to make that shot. the point is his confidence is growing and he continues to get better every game. luke meyer is the least of our worries. he has the makeup that will insure he will be a player imo.

I noticed Brown started the FT's by being down in the right corner of the frontcourt. I tracked him as he came towards the bench (like he was being replaced) before the 2nd FT and then he drifted over to the corner on the right side (thought he was trying to get lost and catch UAB unawares). But, they saw him and covered him.

Ideally, on the last play, Danny should have broke along the baseline to the right side once Luke got into the frontcourt. He didn't. Nobody did. Everyone was standing around watching Luke.

If Danny runs the baseline, that give's Luke an option (Option #1). If he passes to Danny, whoever was at the free throw line could then break down the lane for a pass (option #2), if Danny doesn't have a clear shot from the baseline. 3rd option would have been Luke cutting to the basket on the give and go play after passing to Brown on the baseline.

But everyone was standing around and Luke was forced to create his own shot. End of story. End of game.

Is it just me or is Brad making less moves in the last 2 minutes of the games this year as compared to his first 2 years at SLU? I recall him making more offensive/defensive type moves and being pretty successful at it in his first 2 years.

I have to agree with you Skip. From both our locations down at that end of the floor, it looked like Luke was trying to create space between him and the defender.

Too bad the rest of the team stood around liked they were bolted to the floor. Set a screen, move to an open spot, do anything but stand around and watch in that situation.

if someone paid me a dollar every time i yelled "move" this year watching this team, i would be a rich man. when the one guy that seems to understand the motion offense the best was the guy with the ball, there was little chance someone was going to move.