Billikids

SLUMS81

Making free throws at the end of the game would probably help, but at least they gave them a good game. Better than the 20 points loss UAB handed us last year.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

The guys played well, but I don't understand why Izik was on the bench. I figured Reg wouldn't see much action, but Izik was leading scorer. We were only down four, I think in the end we should have had some veterens on the floor, not even saying Reg, but at least Izik. I don't know, it seemed like we conceded the game a little near the end. Just my opinion, but overall thought the guys played very well.

Our shooting percentage has really improved (except from 3 point land 3-18 Ouch!) since the beginning of the season, especially since some of the younger kids have been playing. That is a very positive sign.

I don't remember who said it, but they were sure right about Luke Meyer's low release on his shot. Tonight it probably cost us. Nonetheless, I think Luke is going to be a really solid player for the Billikens over the next three years.

I got the same feeling, Brehms. Not sure why one of the leading scorers, Izik, didn't play more at the end - he was 6 of 6 tonight from the field so he was making his shots. Maybe there was a matchup issue on defense.

I thought we played pretty well toinght too. I agree that the FT killed us. But the 3 pt shots were pretty bad too. I don't know the final % but we were 2-12 at the half and didn't seem to improve much after that. But if we can play a veteran team like UAB close with bad FT and 3 pt. shooting I see blue skys ahead.

Izik wasn't getting open in the 2nd half he only took 1 shot and is prone to silly mistakes and turnovers. I had no problem with him being in. It does seem to me we though that we should be better at getting a good shot at the end of the game. Too many times we can't even get a shot to the rim

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I had two problems at the end. One, that either Izik, Reggie (i know his shot was off), or Drejaj wasn't in the game. They are the upperclassmen and they are willing to shoot the ball with confidence at the end of the game.

Secondly I wish Brown or Polk would have gone to the ball after Meyer's rebound. He stood for a second after the rebound waiting for one of them, but nobody came. He did the best he could to get a shot off, but as you all mentioned his shot is a bit low and he couldn't shake his man.

Still a great effort. I was very impressed. We had a great shot to beat a good team. Good things are ahead.

And how about Izik? He had those two bad turnovers, but other than that he was a stud.

Agree wholeheartedly on the comment about Izik not being in the game down stretch. I think Brehms made the same comment elsewhere. The guy was 6-6 from the field, hadn't missed a shot all game. Obviously Brad decided to live or die with the younger players. Just for the record, I take absolutely no pleasure from Luke getting his shot blocked to end the game (after having argued with another poster about the issue recently). Would have been plenty happy for Luke to nail a 3 at buzzer and we go home winners. Clarke's back must still be giving him trouble otherwise I would have expected to see him on the floor for the last shot as well. He took the Marquette game to OT with a 3 at the buzzer if memory serves.

JJ, I'm not sure Luke getting his shot blocked at that point in the game proves your point. The poster who argued with you earlier simply stated that while he may have a slow release, he realizes it and knows when he has the space to get his shot off. In an end of the game situation he was forced to take a shot he normally wouldn't have taken. It proved you were right about the slow release but nobody argued that fact, and in fact the coaches themselves have even pointed it out at Billiken Club meetings.

Dobbler - I agree with your question about why nobody helped Luke when he got the rebound - was it because they all sprinted down to the goal to try to get open? As far a AD - in opportune turn over prone and his defense leaked like a sieve tonight - he is one of the last persons I want taking that shot. RB - his shot and speed was off tonight but that is to be expected given all he has been through and the time he was off. IO - someone said it earlier - he was quiet in the second half and was troubled by the UAB pressure. The only player I wish was available that was not was DC. Oh well - the last shot is not why we lost. POOR FT SHOOTING!!!!!

Mystery - LM seldom takes a shot so saying he knows when to get it off makes no sense unless you are saying he seldom feels like he can get a shot off? LM has to shoot more - his taking 2-3 shots a game is not going to cut it. We can not afford to have all these weak hitting shortstops who play good defense in the line up - sooner or later we actually have to score some points. LM plays hard, defends well, and moves well without the ball, but he simply has to improve his shot...

dont blame luke meyer for the end of the game. why didnt any guard come to the ball? why didnt players make their free throws down the stretch? why did we fumble the ball out of bounds on the inbounds down the stretch. plenty of blame to go around.

it was one of the strangest reffed games i have ever watched. i think in the first half they called less than 10 fouls total. in the second half they must have called twice that. and the timing of some of the questionable calls was horrible to the billikens. the one stretch that probably saved the game for the blazers was the terrible charge call on newborne when he made the shot. take 3 off the score right there. also, when the blazers turned up the intensity in the last 10 minutes, one would think that would be accompanied with more foul calls on the blazers. wrong!

and what was up with the traveling calls? they were calling them like crazy all game long, then down the stretch uab blatantly walked 2-3 times and instead they called a reach in foul on the billikens.

newborne had without a doubt his best game of the year. danny brown had a better game than he has had in awhile. another frustrating night at the savvis.

last thing, dont you think that it was a great opportunity to at least acknowledge charlie spoonhour over the pa and give the crowd a chance to cheer for him? missed opportunity to show some class slu.

i agree with brehms. as much as reggie seemed winded tonite, i would have had him in the game at the end. same with izik, who i dont understand where he disappeared to. uab couldnt stop him in the first half, and in the second half he probably played only about 12 minutes max if that.

down the stretch we had drejaj guarding eddins. i was amazed that uab didnt attack that. we were lucky that by then uab was playing 2 on 5 offensively (taylor and squeaky werent passing to anyone). but izik would have matched up perfectly with eddins.

on a violation, while taking the ball out of bounds, the inbounder cannot move his feet, danny started to run the baseline when he couldnt find an open man to inbounds the ball to. 7th grade mistake.

Newborne was great out there last night. It seems like he has slowly but steadily improved over the last few weeks. It was good to see him pulling down some key rebounds. Could it be that he has finally adjusted to DI basketball? Maybe he'll be a contributor next year.

I knew Reg wouldn't see much action last night, I just felt it. But with that he could never get into a rhythm with how he was being played anyway. He made a bucket and got benched. So I wasn't surprised at all at how he was played. But we were down 4 with a minute + on the clock. Our young guys were playing good, but no one wanted to shoot the ball. It was a passing game. Despite our missed free throws I think if Luke, Polk, Danny whomever would have drove the ball to the hole with that 9 seconds left would have at least had a chance at tying the game and or getting fouled. There was no play set up for that. It wasn't fair to Luke for him to try and create something, because that's not his job. I thought we had one more timeout left and that should have been used to win the game or at least tie. We could've won last night, missed free throws and all. I thought maybe Izik was in foul trouble that I missed something, but he wasn't. I saw Drejaj in for a minute then he was on the bench the next. I don't understand that. Who was supposed to shoot the ball?

A couple of ?'s about the final seconds of the game. Why with 7 seconds left, didn't the Bills call a timeout to setup a final shot. Also, didn't it seem as though Meyer took a step back trying to get to the 3 range. That extra second or two seemed to allow time for UAB to defend and block and caused Meyer to rush the shot. Why not take 2 there and go for OT especially since we were cold from 3.