Ian

SShoe

Ian was a main cog in our win last night, and I expect him to continue developing for the better over the next two years. As Skip has pointed out in a previous post, Ian is our best center over the last two decades.

I still can't convince Roy of this fact(and Ian's substantial edge over JJ on the floor in basketball skills,) but he is a solid lane clogger who rebounds well for a soph, and he has the acumen to hit the outlet to start fast breaks.

The coaches do need to work with him on two quibbles. He still has the big man tendancy to want to shoot everything from a foot from the basket. Against a weaker center, it is allright for him to stop after receiving a pass in the paint, and shoot a little five foot bunny. He picked up a silly charging foul for trying to bull to the basket, and a defender stepped up to draw the charge. Bulling works best when be guarded by a physical defender, 'cos the ref will let substantial bumping to occur within the flow of the play.

Ian also needs to work on elevation on his first free throws on all trips to the line. He consistently is short on the first because he alligator arms on the elevation, which affects how far his shot travels.

A very good game against an overmatched foe for the young guys!

saying ian is the best billiken center over the last two decades, isnt saying much. but if i had to pick one center for a game today with the skills, strength, and performance that ian has right now vs the same attributes for a previous center, i would take either frericks when healthy last year, or the senior season kenny brown yet.

that said, i agree ian will easily surpass both by the time he is a senior.

my biggest b!tch with ian is his relatively weak hands and upper body. which after being at slu for two years is inexcuseable imo. too many times he has the ball 2-5 feet from the basket and he cant even get it to the rim or backboard. too many tough catches are missed because he doesnt have the strong hands to make the grab.

hey, i agree every game he gets better. and i agree he has a mountain of potential. but until he is doing last nights points and 10 rebounds a game, he aint there yet.

the difference between Ian and Kenny or Chris is that Ian has the ability to create his own shot. Meaning, give Ian the ball near the block and no double team and he can generally get off a decent look (running hook, up and under, etc.) He still misses more of those than I would like but I think it will come. Chris an dKenny scored almost all of their points from soembody else creating looks for them.

Defensively, I think Ian is already the same as those guys. Ian clogs the middle the same way Heinrich did and while he won't black as many shots as Kenny (we have all noted that Ian doesn't jump well) he alters so many shots down low. Plus, because he doesn't go for a bunch of blocks he rarely gets in foul trouble.

There was a stretch last night where Ian cause 3 turnovers in a row. Granted the competition sucked but still.

I'll be very satisfied if he gets to 14 qnd 9. That would put him in the upper echelon of college centers.

I have to say though I agree with Roy ... 1 game right now today I would take last years Tom. To take Kenny it would depend on the center we were going up against. I would only take Kenny if it was someone I thought Ian couldn't stop. Offensively I think Ian is ahead of KB as a Sr. defensively ... not many were better.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

against a school named after some sort of labor union, he looked good. against the likes of curtis withers he looked like a statue. now do i expect him to stop withers? probably not. but it wasnt even close. and same on the other end. he was overwhelmed vs withers. he did fine against iti, but by the same token, i think skip can beat iti.

Withers was walking all over the place that is why Ian could not contain him. Tom was not as good as Ian is right now - Tom's defense was good but Ian's is not bad. Tom's fts shooting is not as good as Ian's - I know he misses fts late in the game but that is a stamina thing and even though he misses sometimes, his technique is better than Tom's and Kenny's so he will make them. Kenny played very good defense his senior year but he never could score with any consistency.

frericks could at least get the ball to the basket on rebound putbacks if someone was hanging no him. no right now, i would take frericks.

you coming this sunday? if not i am probably going to go play with the other group since they now play at althoff instead. but if you are coming i will come to blessed sacrament.

I don't think you can overvalue how important it is that Ian rarely gets in foul trouble. I looked at the stats and they are interesting:

This year Ian has average 0.11 fouls per minute or 4.53 fouls per 40 minute game. This year and last Tom average 0.14 and 0.15. Kenny Brown average 0.10 and 0.14 in his two years with us and Heinrich average 0.15, 0.15 and 0.14 in his final three years.

These numbers might not seem like much but with no viable back-up to Ian it becomes crucial for him to play as much as possible. On average Ian can play 35 minutes a game before getting his 4th foul while guys like TF and CH could only play 27. That is a significant difference.

Thanks ... thats not bad. I would hope that next year he is able to get his offensive production in double digits and becomes a more focused part of our offense. In the IPFW game ... I was getting frustrated that we didn't feed Ian the ball more when there big guy picked up his 3rd foul.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman