Tonight's Mtg @ Humphrey's

volfan

The meeting was good. that TY Evans guy would make a great head coach, too bad SLU won't hire him. They should hir him or Tony Francis. They just really know how to talk with people. Other than that the meeting was good and the beer was especially good tonight for some reason

imo the most impressive part of the meeting was the fact that cheryl saw fit to have doug visit to address tv and radio concerns. doug apologized for the virgin island fiasco on the radio. but the hands are tied by their apparent bad contract with kmox. he advised that both the radio and tv contracts are up soon.

the second neat touch tonite was the meeting with the lady in charge of compliance. again, kudos to the department for sending her to advise us on what a "booster" can or cannot do. time well spent imo.

brad's discussion can be boiled down to really two things:

one he isnt changing anything short term as far as the way the team plays style wise and two, we need to make some shots. not much insight on anything else. he said that he believes reggie is playing hurt to some degree and he assured us that the rest of the players are in good physical condition. he said in his opinion the offense is doing it's job getting opportunities, we just arent converting. he said that our three centers are shooting a combined 15-50 on the year with the overwhelming majority of those 50 shots from within 5 feet of the basket.

there was talk about reggie shooting more, and he pointed out that everyone is going to double and triple team him until others make shots. he talked very little about meyer, brown, johnson and clarke.

the main thing ty told us is that they apparently have quite a few injuries on the women's roster.

i am sorry there isnt more to report on brad, but the questions seemed to be basically the same questions asked different ways over and over. i am surprised brad didnt get pissed actually. i tried to get him to talk about kevin and tommie, but he said he has decided not to rave about recruits anymore until they get here and just basically mentioned a few recent stat games for both. and that was it. no word on any future recruiting plans or hints of players.

someone asked brad about occasionally pressing to create some transition baskets, and he said that the defense is not the problem and that who's to say that any kind of press wouldnt just as well create easier baskets for the other team if they rip through that press. he said he is looking long term and wont compromise his plans for short term.

the beer indeed was cold.

Broy summarized it pretty well. Brad simply asked for questions tonight, without making an opening statement. He answered all questions. He is very firm in his long term committment to the program and will not make any "short term" adjustments to his approach. The bottom line is that the shots are there, they just aren't being made. Why? Who knows? Doesn't he play third base?

He also mentioned Tommy's performance last night.

IMHO, very disappointing recap of Brad's comments: i.e., he is staying the course with no changes, sees nothing wrong with his offensive system in regard to the players on the floor (it's the players' fault for not making shots), not willing to occasionally press for fear of giving up an easy basket. Sounds like he is digging his heals in the dirt (with head in the sand?).

i admire he is not in panic mode. as has been stated before, the austin peay, eastern michigan, oral roberts and hawaii games were all games that were more or less decided by one basket. if our record was 5-2 right now, i dont think many people would be screaming for changes in the system. now if the gonzaga game becomes the norm, then the screams have merit. i believe this team will still finish over 500.

Two years ago when everybody was talking about how we wouldn't 15 games you repeatedly said we would be good. Before this year everyone said we'd be great and you had your doubts and were critical. Now we are 1-6 and you are predicitng an above .500 record while most of us (me included) don't possibly see where the wins can come from. You still like Romar while most hate him and you never liked Spoon while most around here adore him. I have you figured out Roy!

Actually they both might have a chance. Coach Francis has been a head coach for 8 season in high school with a state title so he know what it takes to win, evans has only been a head coach once but what he has going for him is that he is black. there are no black head coaches at SLU so if you fire Jill you knock out 2 birds with one stone. You get a good coach and plus he is black so no BCA can say the university is racist. You do not need a woman for the job you need the best canidate that the players like and they both like both of those guys

1. we did win 15 games in those seasons i said we would when no one else believed

2. everyone else was all over ian and husak and i told the board at the beginning of the season that they werent ready to contribute one bit, now everyone sees as well they are not.

3. if frericks and reggie return to last year's form, this team can still win. by the end of december with wins over oakland, dayton, and semo our record will be 4-8. by the end of january with wins over tulane, southern miss, tcu and east carolina our record goes to 8-11. by the end of february we add wins vs houston, south florida, ipfw, and two upsets at home vs charlotte and depaul we go to 13-14. we beat memphis lose to marquette and then win two in the conf usa tourney to end up 16-16.

4. i have made the romar arguments enough to not beat that to death. i have said many times that spoon was an awesome floor coach. i just hated his rcruiting and have first hand experience his good ole boy act was fake.

I was one of those that thought we'd be good a few years ago and that Spoon was overrated but I just found it intersting that you seem to be on the opposite side of most issues. We'll see if it continues when the practice watchers sing the praises of KL before he steps on the court...

>How does Gary Pinkel find the time to coach both the

>Mizzou football and SLU basketball teams?

Good analogy but SLU basketball doesn't have a Brad Smith. I think Gary Pinkel's obstinence is more aggregious. Also, SLU is not yet through 1/3rd of the season (although I doubt it shall matter with Brad).

"IF" Pizzotti is walking on "thin ice" and Cheryl opts for a change, I would imagine we have seen the last of the two male assistants. Flanagan, for one, will never recommend either one of them because of her desire to have a female. Secondly, Cheryl would probably have someone in mind due to her past connections. It is truly unfortunate for these two gentlemen as I have heard nothing but positive things about them.

That is really pathetic that you would not hire one of these guys as the head coach just because you are a male. I feel really bad for coach Francis since he is a white male, he has 2 strikes against him. He is not black or a female. It just sucks the way life is now, you should be hired for what you know not what you look like. Hell,, Flanagan is lucky to have her job, so i do not think she will be picking the next coach you ever see the way she dresses, if she can not pickout a decent outfit then she shouldn't pick out a coach.