Is this the start of SLU’s Beast push?

Does the hiring of Schertz, a hot mid major name, and rumors of a hefty NIL war chest signal that this is the moment we’re seriously pushing to get into the Beast? The Fox contract with the Beast expires after the 25-26 season I believe.  Fox will likely insist the Beast expand to compete with the P5 conferences that may be whittled down to the P4 sooner than later. 
SLU made a rather un SLU like move by terminating Travis Ford and eating his buyout. It would seem the powers that be were frustrated with the program’s direction under Ford and figured all our pluses, ie facilities, TV market size, and similar school profile, would not be enough to gain entry into the Beast. We need to prove that we are serious about building a winning program. Hence, the hefty commitment of financial resources were necessary to be considered for Beast acceptance. My guess is this is what’s behind SLU’s taking these very unlike SLU actions. Now all we have to do is Win, Baby, Win! 

CenHudDude likes this

40 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Does the hiring of Schertz, a hot mid major name, and rumors of a hefty NIL war chest signal that this is the moment we’re seriously pushing to get into the Beast? The Fox contract with the Beast expires after the 25-26 season I believe.  Fox will likely insist the Beast expand to compete with the P5 conferences that may be whittled down to the P4 sooner than later. 
SLU made a rather un SLU like move by terminating Travis Ford and eating his buyout. It would seem the powers that be were frustrated with the program’s direction under Ford and figured all our pluses, ie facilities, TV market size, and similar school profile, would not be enough to gain entry into the Beast. We need to prove that we are serious about building a winning program. Hence, the hefty commitment of financial resources were necessary to be considered for Beast acceptance. My guess is this is what’s behind SLU’s taking these very unlike SLU actions. Now all we have to do is Win, Baby, Win! 

I think it is only happen if UCONN bolts to the B12. Can UCONN make the football program comparable to its men and women BB program? I doubt they have the will to do it therefore they remain in the NBE. 

Make the A10 better. Bring in C of C & I like to see Bradley, for our sake. Bradley been decent the last couple of years with Wardle. Also, if you remember the Bradley back in our day, they were our biggest rivals. Recall that last game in the 70-1 season, 15000+ in the old Barn. Watching Jimmy Irving go off on them.  With that win we got into a 3 way tie in the old MVC.  

3 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

I think it is only happen if UCONN bolts to the B12. Can UCONN make the football program comparable to its men and women BB program? I doubt they have the will to do it therefore they remain in the NBE. 

Make the A10 better. Bring in C of C & I like to see Bradley, for our sake. Bradley been decent the last couple of years with Wardle. Also, if you remember the Bradley back in our day, they were our biggest rivals. Recall that last game in the 70-1 season, 15000+ in the old Barn. Watching Irving go off on them.  With that win we got into a 3 way tie in the old MVC.  

I was there. The old barn rarely drew many fans for most games. Top MVC teams, ND, and Marquette always drew well. I’m all in for adding some quality teams to the A10, but still think the Beast should be our goal. The Beast will survive any coup by the bigs to totally dominate March Madness. I’d hate to see us not even having a chance to make the dance. 

Schertz has to put together a team before next season, we are currently depleted. If the team he puts together is based upon NILs we cannot be sure it will be here the following season, and so on and so forth. May will still be around at least until the next president comes in. Fortunately whatever happens with SLU men's basketball team will depend upon Schertz, let's hope that he is everything we  have been hoping for and succeeds where so many others did not. After reading his brief biography I think he has what it takes to get us there.

SLU has no control over A10 or over Big East or UConn and most certainly no influence over the NCAA or the lawyers and courts dealing with unionization of the players. However Schertz will certainly have control over our MBB team and can get us closer to an upgrade.

FB at UConn is virtually an afterthought these days. Their focus is hoops. Even though they’d make more $$’s from the B12 pot they’d still be in the hole if they joined. NIL for football alone would make them a bottom feeder in the B12 plus drain dollars from their hoop programs. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Im not sure its the reason, but perhaps part of the reason.  I think the increase in NIL, donor support etc was going to happen regardless. 

That said, the BE will be expanding, because that's what major conferences are racing to do.  

There's small rumors of B12 conference news happening this week, it didn't mention what, but if its Uconn related then expect the BE to start searching quickly. 

I've been thinking that perhaps May had a come to Jesus moment and perhaps he can try to be an effective AD.  Jakobsze hire, firing Ford, hiring Schertz, new NIL site that works, the social media marketing of the last few days.  All good.  If the AD can continue to operate like this and handle day to day operations that's improvement.  That's all I want.

TV market isn't a concern anymore. It's viewers, streamers.  We know a good SLU team draws fans, with increased marketing , social media engagement that shows we are a draw. If we can do it perhaps BE becomes a possibility.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

In a word, yes.

Beast push. Just win.

25 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I've been thinking that perhaps May had a come to Jesus moment and perhaps he can try to be an effective AD.  Jakobsze hire, firing Ford, hiring Schertz, new NIL site that works, the social media marketing of the last few days.  All good.  If the AD can continue to operate like this and handle day to day operations that's improvement.  That's all I want.

TV market isn't a concern anymore. It's viewers, streamers.  We know a good SLU team draws fans, with increased marketing , social media engagement that shows we are a draw. If we can do it perhaps BE becomes a possibility.

WOW.........the last time there was a change of heart this big it involved a Jarvik-7!

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

WOW.........the last time there was a change of heart this big it involved a Jarvik-7!

I'm a reasonable person. I'm interested in SLU competing. The last few weeks from my perspective were good.  I'm cautiously optimistic that perhaps the AD can improve. The reported internal issues are probably harder to mend but I'm not privy to those things.

Like I've said before the AD gets credit for all things athletics good or bad despite the involvement of Billionaires.  His job is to shape the outcome. Outcome of coaching hire is good. I like the social media marketing they've done the last couple days.  I didn't mind the radio silence during the search that's standard.

Hat tip, keep it up.

Billiken Rich likes this

22 hours ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Make the A10 better. Bring in C of C & I like to see Bradley, for our sake. Bradley been decent the last couple of years with Wardle. Also, if you remember the Bradley back in our day, they were our biggest rivals. Recall that last game in the 70-1 season, 15000+ in the old Barn. Watching Jimmy Irving go off on them.  With that win we got into a 3 way tie in the old MVC.  

Wonder if Drake would be a fit for the A10?  Have to think McCollum will build a strong program there. Des Moines may be a little far for the non-revenue sports though.