Any new information about recruit Williford

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I’m hoping the next coach enters the portal sweepstakes with a bucketful of cash and buys us a new roster of Sophs and juniors. Also, hope he drags a couple of his stars with him to SLU. We ain’t gonna win with HS recruits. Those days are over unless you’re Duke. 

I actually think there's real value to be had in the NIL age by signing the second tier of HS recruits and then spending to retain them. There's an opportunity to build a more stable program with guys that have careers at your school instead of one-year wonders, and those are the guys fans connect with.

It doesn't have to be either-or. I just don't think we should be overlooking the guys we can train up and build around.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

He attends Middlebrooks Academy - a charter school named after its founder and head coach. The address of the school per the California Department of Education is a one-story home in Alhambra. The mailing address is a mail center between a dog groomer and sushi restaurant in a strip mall in Studio City.

I found this way funnier than I probably should have. 

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

He attends Middlebrooks Academy - a charter school named after its founder and head coach. The address of the school per the California Department of Education is a one-story home in Alhambra. The mailing address is a mail center between a dog groomer and sushi restaurant in a strip mall in Studio City.

11 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Yeah, it is funny.  Honestly it spells total scam to me, but I guess it doesn’t matter what I think. We’ll see what kind of player he is when he gets here, sure doesn’t look like there will be any other information forthcoming. Looking at that Middlebrook Academy website, that Tarkanian tournament they said they would be in, the Tarkanian tournament website didn’t show Middlebrook Academy as a team participating. I was able to find the box score of one other place they played, but that only showed that other teams stats, not Middlebrook Academy players. I guess we get no further information on him until he shows up on SLU’s campus.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

I have also been frustrated by the lack of information about Williford's final prep season. He attends Middlebrooks Academy - a charter school named after its founder and head coach. The address of the school per the California Department of Education is a one-story home in Alhambra. The mailing address is a mail center between a dog groomer and sushi restaurant in a strip mall in Studio City.

-for either location, perfectly reasonable setting to pretend to attend classes 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

I actually think there's real value to be had in the NIL age by signing the second tier of HS recruits and then spending to retain them. There's an opportunity to build a more stable program with guys that have careers at your school instead of one-year wonders, and those are the guys fans connect with.

It doesn't have to be either-or. I just don't think we should be overlooking the guys we can train up and build around.

Not a bad idea. But, how do you outspend the predators that will come after them? 

50 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not a bad idea. But, how do you outspend the predators that will come after them? 

Teams that are making regular NCAAs aren't getting pilfered by bigger programs unless they are very low level, with Davidson type facilities.

If we have a good team, we have the facilities, money, a metro market they can use to make more cash.  

top 150-300 players are the way to go.  

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Teams that are making regular NCAAs aren't getting pilfered by bigger programs unless they are very low level, with Davidson type facilities.

If we have a good team, we have the facilities, money, a metro market they can use to make more cash.  

top 150-300 players are the way to go.  

Sorry, Torch, facilities are probably way down on a recruit’s priorities. NIL $’s rule the day. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Sorry, Torch, facilities are probably way down on a recruit’s priorities. NIL $’s rule the day. 

Yes we still have to pay them NIL money, but it is available.  If we pay kids they will stay.  

Teams are paying out the nose for "sure" things in the transfer market.  This is where we can't compete and where we end with players like we have now.

Top HSers and JUCOs are getting left in the cold.  Take care of them and they will stay.  All kids want to get paid, the ones that move up to P6 from our level, want to get off bad teams or want to get more exposure for the pros.  Pay them and they won't leave.

Look at our terrible teams and we managed to keep our 2-3 best players.  Okoro, Collins, Jimerson all easily could have left for more money and better situations.  If we can keep guys like that on mediocre and terrible teams we can keep even better guys on good and or great teams.

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

Yes we still have to pay them NIL money, but it is available.  If we pay kids they will stay.  

Teams are paying out the nose for "sure" things in the transfer market.  This is where we can't compete and where we end with players like we have now.

Top HSers and JUCOs are getting left in the cold.  Take care of them and they will stay.  All kids want to get paid, the ones that move up to P6 from our level, want to get off bad teams or want to get more exposure for the pros.  Pay them and they won't leave.

Look at our terrible teams and we managed to keep our 2-3 best players.  Okoro, Collins, Jimerson all easily could have left for more money and better situations.  If we can keep guys like that on mediocre and terrible teams we can keep even better guys on good and or great teams.

Yuri got paid. And I’d wager Gibby and Okoro got a stipend as well. Also, Okoro was kind of frozen by the two transfer rule. Evidently, though, we didn’t pay enough as our most talented team still missed the dance. 

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

I bet they also stayed largely due to thinking we were a lock for the tourney. And depending on the team, okoro and possibly jimerson are bench options. So to stay on a tourney team while knowing you’d start has to be the bigger reason to stay