Jump to content

Womens Basketball 2023-2024


thetorch

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

The pink trim around the lettering and numbers was really sharp looking.   These are the best alternative unis I’ve ever seen from a SLU team.  

I was trying to decide if I liked them or not for half the game, but yeah they looked retro and pretty cool. I wouldn't be mad if they were consistent pink out unis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I was trying to decide if I liked them or not for half the game, but yeah they looked retro and pretty cool. I wouldn't be mad if they were consistent pink out unis.

Granted I haven't been to a ton of women's games, but I feel like this is the first year in a long time that the Pink Game jerseys were actually Nike and not an off brand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Granted I haven't been to a ton of women's games, but I feel like this is the first year in a long time that the Pink Game jerseys were actually Nike and not an off brand.

They used to auction off the "off brand" jerseys for charity, I think cancer research. I own one and it is indeed off brand. The ones last night looked very nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

They used to auction off the "off brand" jerseys for charity, I think cancer research. I own one and it is indeed off brand. The ones last night looked very nice.

I have one from when I was in school. It's a Nike #23. I love it. Had the shorts too, but I think an ex stole them along the way. The most comfortable waistband I've ever had on athletic shorts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I have one from when I was in school. It's a Nike #23. I love it. Had the shorts too, but I think an ex stole them along the way. The most comfortable waistband I've ever had on athletic shorts. 

That was before my time for women's bb. Were they auctioning off Nike brand jerseys or did you acquire it some other way? My pink jersey (from around 2018 I think) is an "Alleson Athletic" made in Madagascar. "Billikens" and numbers silk screened on. No player name.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

That was before my time for women's bb. Were they auctioning off Nike brand jerseys or did you acquire it some other way? My pink jersey (from around 2018 I think) is an "Alleson Athletic" made in Madagascar. "Billikens" and numbers silk screened on. No player name.

 

I bought it in the auction. They auctioned them off almost every year for awhile after it started IIRC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I bought it in the auction. They auctioned them off almost every year for awhile after it started IIRC. 

Hey, that's great! I'm jealous but I'm happy with mine. Only wear it to pink-out games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I have one from when I was in school. It's a Nike #23. I love it. Had the shorts too, but I think an ex stole them along the way. The most comfortable waistband I've ever had on athletic shorts. 

I have one, too. It's a Sadie Stipanovich 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The SLU women beat up on a woeful St. Bonnies team today 83-61. It was 46-18 at the half but better shooting by the Bonnies and some Billiken end-of-bench players getting time in the second half narrowed the margin some.

McMakin with 30 points in 34 minutes. Peyton Kennedy with 23 points, 8 boards and 6 assists in 29 minutes.

Strong defensive pressure in the first half caused several Bonnie turnovers and subsequent fast break scores for the Bills, leading to a lop-sided half time score.

Pistol likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The women are on a 21-3 run to take a 32-21 lead mid 2nd quarter. Lot of turnovers leading to easy buckets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Comfortable win after they ran away with the second quarter. Julia Martinez had her second career triple-double. Could be the fact that their A10 schedule was front-loaded but this team is playing better down the home stretch, just in time for another A10 Tournament run.

CenHudDude and billikenbill like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was planning on going to the women's game Saturday (I'm a season ticket holder) and was checking the time on the AD website. It was supposed to be Senior Night but is now listed as as win by forfeit.

I can't get their website to come up, either 404 or just blank, but ESPN shows a couple of forfeits last week and then a game played but lost to GW Wed. night.

Anyone know anything about this?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, White Pelican said:

I was planning on going to the women's game Saturday (I'm a season ticket holder) and was checking the time on the AD website. It was supposed to be Senior Night but is now listed as as win by forfeit.

I can't get their website to come up, either 404 or just blank, but ESPN shows a couple of forfeits last week and then a game played but lost to GW Wed. night.

Anyone know anything about this?

 

What? That's news to me. Either Davidson caught massive covid or they're scared of us? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I was planning on going to the women's game Saturday (I'm a season ticket holder) and was checking the time on the AD website. It was supposed to be Senior Night but is now listed as as win by forfeit.

Anyone know anything about this?

Very strange, I am seeing this on their website:

DAVIDSON, N.C. – Due to non-COVID health and safety protocols within the Davidson women's basketball program, the Wildcats' Atlantic 10 Conference game at Saint Louis scheduled for Saturday, March 2 has been canceled.

The contest will count as a forfeit for Davidson in accordance with league rules and will not be rescheduled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

Very strange, I am seeing this on their website:

DAVIDSON, N.C. – Due to non-COVID health and safety protocols within the Davidson women's basketball program, the Wildcats' Atlantic 10 Conference game at Saint Louis scheduled for Saturday, March 2 has been canceled.

The contest will count as a forfeit for Davidson in accordance with league rules and will not be rescheduled.

Yeah just found that. "non"-covid related. Weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking (briefly) at the Davidson boards, it appears a bunch of knee injuries has decimated the women's team.

I remember when Lisa Stone won a couple of games with 7 and then 6 healthy players. Maybe they don't even have that many able to play so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, White Pelican said:

Looking (briefly) at the Davidson boards, it appears a bunch of knee injuries has decimated the women's team.

I remember when Lisa Stone won a couple of games with 7 and then 6 healthy players. Maybe they don't even have that many able to play so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Enough knee injuries to not even field 6 players would be insane. The tournament starts next week, should Davidson just resign itself to not competing in it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Enough knee injuries to not even field 6 players would be insane. The tournament starts next week, should Davidson just resign itself to not competing in it? 

I guess see if enough players can compete with the extra rest, if not they forfeit. Right now they are the 10 seed, so the 15 seed, St Bonaventure, just gets a pass on day one?  Not sure how that works, honestly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way, I have to hand it to this league. It has really gotten stronger this season. The top 4 teams are all 14-3 or better and 3 of them have 25 overall wins on the season (the fourth has 23). Unfortunately, they're all in the 55-70 range in the NET rankings currently, so getting multiple bids is an uphill climb, but they should stack the NIT, with Davidson (82) and Rhode Island (86) also having a shot to play in the postseason. SLU has to win the conference tournament again.

The crazy thing is that URI and SLU were supposed to be top-3 teams in the league. I don't think anyone realized how much better the whole top ten would be, though.

Lord Elrond likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Further reading (between the lines a bit too) shows that they had a short bench when losing to GW and in that game another player had an injury. I can't seem to find how many are actually healthy but I guess not enough to compete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

By the way, I have to hand it to this league. It has really gotten stronger this season. The top 4 teams are all 14-3 or better and 3 of them have 25 overall wins on the season (the fourth has 23). Unfortunately, they're all in the 55-70 range in the NET rankings currently, so getting multiple bids is an uphill climb, but they should stack the NIT, with Davidson (82) and Rhode Island (86) also having a shot to play in the postseason. SLU has to win the conference tournament again.

The crazy thing is that URI and SLU were supposed to be top-3 teams in the league. I don't think anyone realized how much better the whole top ten would be, though.

I thought we'd be better this year, especially with Martinez coming back, but yeah, the league has improved quite a bit. And yeah, once again, we have to win out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Say what!!??

ETA: Maybe they're putting a rec league team together and need a game.

Yeah aside from having a senior night, I don't know why they're doing this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...