c ford on with frank c 590 the fan in 15 min

46 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Majerus like to “save” coaches who were sidelined in the careers, I think. Clearly Crews was not a good restart. 

This seems like a big assumption. Majerus was not in the charity business. He hired former head coaches as assistants. He liked having that experience on his bench, something I wish Ford would do, then again Majerus was a larger than life head coach not everyone can do that. That doesn’t mean he was trying to “save” them. Crews was a fine assistant, but he was never supposed to be a head coach again. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Prove it.

What do I need to hold a seance so Rickma can tell you himself?   Do I need to produce a letter he wrote from his hospital bed?   Do you want the nurse that was doing his vitals when Crews visited Rickma at the hospital and probably overheard the discussion?   

You are a piece of work.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

What do I need to hold a seance so Rickma can tell you himself?   Do I need to produce a letter he wrote from his hospital bed?   Do you want the nurse that was doing his vitals when Crews visited Rickma at the hospital and probably overheard the discussion?   

You are a piece of work.

Well when you tell me that I'm factually incorrect without any sort of reason to back it up other than I told you so, I'm going to ask for some receipts. 

"let's not forget that crews was rickma's personal choice to take over when rickma got sick.  i.e. a rickma endorsement is not a no-brainer replacement pick." 

You start off saying that Crews was Rick's "personal choice to take over". You use that as a reasoning why Rick's choice isn't always reliable. IF you're correct he would have only selected him as "caretaker", he's not visiting CM from the grave to install Crews as HC. Selecting him as caretaker was a pretty damned good move if you ask me. 

"thats not true, now whether he intended him to be an interim or something more permanent, i dont know, but he did pick him to serve immediately (at minimum the interim) when he was initially sick."

Then you don't explain how you know that Rick picked him as caretaker HC, but you definitely know or you wouldn't be correcting? So tell us how you know.

Trying to throw some facts out there for this pissing match:

Here are some articles around the time Crews was named interim coach:

https://unewsonline.com/2012/08/new-head-coach-jim-crews/

https://unewsonline.com/2012/11/jim-crews-feature/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/atlantic10/2012/11/19/rick-majerus-saint-louis-billikens-heart-condition/1712145/

I don't see anything saying Crews was Majerus hand picked successor.  The U News article "The Odyessey of Jim Crews" says that when he hired him Majerus basically needed an AC to fill in last minute for Alex Jenson who left to coach in the G League, so he called up Crews who was basically retired and told him it would only be a 4 1/2 month job.

The rumor that Majerus wanted Crews to be interim HC while he was away may or may not be true.  Any rumors that Crews was his hand picked successor are totally bogus.

willie likes this

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Trying to throw some facts out there for this pissing match:

Here are some articles around the time Crews was named interim coach:

https://unewsonline.com/2012/08/new-head-coach-jim-crews/

https://unewsonline.com/2012/11/jim-crews-feature/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/atlantic10/2012/11/19/rick-majerus-saint-louis-billikens-heart-condition/1712145/

I don't see anything saying Crews was Majerus hand picked successor.  The U News article "The Odyessey of Jim Crews" says that when he hired him Majerus basically needed an AC to fill in last minute for Alex Jenson who left to coach in the G League, so he called up Crews who was basically retired and told him it would only be a 4 1/2 month job.

The rumor that Majerus wanted Crews to be interim HC while he was away may or may not be true.  Any rumors that Crews was his hand picked successor are totally bogus.

This is correct . Alex wanted to be assigned as the associate head coach before Rick's health getting worse  which Rick did not agree to actually giving it to Jim Whitesell obviouslt taking for granted his relationship with Alex would make him stay . Rick viewed Alex as almost his son and their falling out was very unexpected by Rick which led to Alex moving to Canton Ohio as the head coach of their G league team . 

SluSignGuy, thetorch and DOC like this

1 hour ago, billikenblue said:

This is correct . Alex wanted to be assigned as the associate head coach before Rick's health getting worse  which Rick did not agree to actually giving it to Jim Whitesell obviouslt taking for granted his relationship with Alex would make him stay . Rick viewed Alex as almost his son and their falling out was very unexpected by Rick which led to Alex moving to Canton Ohio as the head coach of their G league team . 

Then Crews was given the interim instead of Whitesell who was more highly ranked on the coaching staff.  If Majerus did have a plan, it backfired.  I don't think he did.  Whitesell got pissed at Crews being elevated and also left for a lower level job.  I feel like Crews was only going to be an Asst to somebody like Majerus, when we should have elevated Whitesell instead.  Whitesell would never have gotten the full time gig because he didn't have the coaching history and connections Crews did.  We could have brought in another hire, who would probably still be here and never have to go through another rebuild.

SluSignGuy likes this