3 Point Shooting and Shot Selection

52 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Especially 2 that just don't move the ball out. Ford has really never had that stretch 4 type player. I think it's something his teams have missed. 

Agreed. Ellis’ and Loe’s ability to spread the floor opened up so much room for Dwayne inside, or Jordair to get to the rim. I was hoping that Lorentsson could’ve shown some of that potential but clearly he’s just not ready.

I think Ford has probably faced the decision of where to compromise in recruiting: do I want a big who is less skilled but a great rebounder/defender or do I want someone more skilled who I have to toughen up. It seems like we’re going to err on the side of defense and rebounding unless something changes.

I bet we’ll go for a stretch big in the portal this off-season, will be interesting to see if we can land one.

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Remember, your talking about a program that has had NBA HOF'er Ed McCauley and Anthony Bonner.  Whoever they had playing the four or the five with them, they were still better than Okoro and French would be.  That's not a knock on Okoro and French.

Idk, French is high up there in many categories on the record book and Okoro is trending in a great direction. It's also real hard to fantasize what the two would do on the court together but I think they'd compete in #s with Bonner and Gray. We'd average like 8 blocked shots per game

18 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Do you remember how often French ran the offense from the free throw line? He could even put the ball on the floor a bit. I think Ford could build an offense around that duo. Especially if we ran a set with Yuri/Goodwin at the 1 and Jimerson and Perkins on the wings. That's plenty of stretch. 

In a theoretical discussion anything is possible. 

Would like to bump this thread...Many of you (myself included) were asking for more 3 point attempts but it seems the consensus is that people didn't like Rashads shot selection yesterday. If my memory serves correctly he missed one, made one, missed one, then Gibson got an open look and made one. I'd argue defense was looking for Williams on that next possession and this may have allowed Gibson a little more room/space/ time whatever. That's 2-4.

I think one of Rashads attempts was questionable. The other two were good looks just quick but this is a change from the weave and pick and roll over and over again that we hate? I didn't mind the shots at all. I've always wanted to play faster and he's a shooter, we needed a spark and he came in and gave us one. We proceeded to tie the game up after but couldn't pull it out. 

Basketball is a game of miss or make. Good shooters miss shots, he could of hit all 3 and people would be begging for him to get more minutes. He did get beat a few times on defense if I'm not mistaken but that's not really the point of this post. I'm just confused at how many are taking digs at him for the shots he took after asking for more 3 attempts?

At worst I applaud Ford for trying something new instead of going with the same old song and dance.

SLU_Lax and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Would like to bump this thread...Many of you (myself included) were asking for more 3 point attempts but it seems the consensus is that people didn't like Rashads shot selection yesterday. If my memory serves correctly he missed one, made one, missed one, then Gibson got an open look and made one. I'd argue defense was looking for Williams on that next possession and this may have allowed Gibson a little more room/space/ time whatever. That's 2-4.

I think one of Rashads attempts was questionable. The other two were good looks just quick but this is a change from the weave and pick and roll over and over again that we hate? I didn't mind the shots at all. I've always wanted to play faster and he's a shooter, we needed a spark and he came in and gave us one. We proceeded to tie the game up after but couldn't pull it out. 

Basketball is a game of miss or make. Good shooters miss shots, he could of hit all 3 and people would be begging for him to get more minutes. He did get beat a few times on defense if I'm not mistaken but that's not really the point of this post. I'm just confused at how many are taking digs at him for the shots he took after asking for more 3 attempts?

At worst I applaud Ford for trying something new instead of going with the same old song and dance.

I was telling my buddy, "at least it's something new. He's trying." Last night alone isn't my basis for disapproving of Williams - he's just not very good. I saw potential for a key role player, but he has proven me wrong. 

11 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

He doesn’t appear to have any other skill than shooting 3s and he hasn’t done well at that. It is hard to justify playing him unless he hits in the high 30s or better.

He will shoot from anywhere on the floor if he has the ball at least that what he has done so far.  The question is does that make sense - I agree in limited action from what I saw I am not sure he is the answer.