AP Top 25

cgeldmacher

I think I read that the last time Kansas, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky were all unranked at the same time was 1961. 

Prior to this past weekend's matchup between UNC and Duke, I believe they said (I'm probably wrong) the last matchup with both teams unranked was 1960. Crazy. I watched about 10 minutes of the UNC Duke game and Duke absolutely sucks.

Purdue (ranked #24) is the 14th-winningest program ever, with Western Kentucky, Illinois, and Texas just behind. 3 of those 4 are ranked and all have 13 or 14 wins so far this season. Thus, the cutoff at 13.

Anyway, the rankings are crazy this year.

SLU got 1 vote in the Coaches' Poll, putting them in 45th.

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

St. John’s... .what? Notre Dame is the second surprise. Does this list count civil war era games?

Longevity has a lot to do with it. St. John's started playing in 1908, Notre Dame in 1898. Temple (1895) is the oldest program listed but has a lower win percentage (.639) than most others in the top 13. Kentucky is first in both wins and win percentage. SLU began in 1914-1915 and would be the second youngest program in the top 13 after UCLA (1920), but is about 380 wins shy of 13th place.

The crazy thing is that the teams keeping this from being a bigger, more startling number this season - Illinois, Purdue, and Texas - have all had down seasons recently and if they happened to be even a little down this year, it would be the top 20 all-time winningest programs. Villanova (21) would stop the madness, having been a fixture of the rankings in recent history.

Bills got 2 votes in one poll; one in the other.  VCU got one vote in the poll the Bills got two.  Buh-bye Bonaventure.  What does this say, however, about the state of the A10 right now?  I think it re-emphasizes what I've said when watching the A10 this year ---- a lot of parity amongst a lot of mediocre teams.  If we right our ship post-COVID there will be no issue come Madness time.