OT: Calbert Cheaney

pakapablo

1 hour ago, pakapablo said:

I'm glad to see that for Calbert.  The need to recruit players may not have been up his alley as a college coach.

3 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

He had nothing to work with, with the bigs we had; might have been useful with the current roster

Isnt that part of the job of the college assistant coach?  Use his College and NBA accomplishments to recruit young players?  One good recruiter could have kept the Crews/Platt regime going longer. Thank god CC was equally bad. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I actually thought in the beginning of Dead's era he'd be good for SLU recruiting. I was wrong. That whole staff was effed up. 

I can only think of two players I was truly proud of in Roby and Ash. Neither were Billiken greats, but both should be proud of their play and their commitment both on and off the court. 

That is not much success for the time they were here. 

12 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

I can only think of two players I was truly proud of in Roby and Ash. Neither were Billiken greats, but both should be proud of their play and their commitment both on and off the court. 

That is not much success for the time they were here. 

I think Ash would have been a really good complementary player on a good team but he had to be a star on his teams. Asking too much. 

2 hours ago, Scoop said:

I'd add Mike Crawford to that list.  

That was an oversight.  He should have been on the list.  He was amazing off-the-court and it is sad that he was leaned on so heavily on-the-court that physically he was often breaking down by mid-season.

I will also note that I liked Bartley and Reynolds and a couple others, but they were not impactful enough in their brief stays (so they just remain neutral in my mind).

I liked Reggie Agbeko too, but he never put it together.  He was a tease with his talent, but a hard worker.  He just needed softer/better hands.  Reggie is one that I wish Calbert could have gotten through too.  To get back on topic, I think if Calbert had a "failure" that it was not being able to maximize Reggie's talent more (softer hands and less feet shuffling).