college facility naming rights

Cowboy

-I found this article interesting about the trend of college facility corporate naming rights - https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2018/08/13/college-stadium-naming-rights-university-kentucky-kroger-field/952633002/ - just a continuation sponsorships across campuses - I wonder what we could get while continuing to honor Dr Chaifetz? what a deal Carrier got at Syracuse

30 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I found this article interesting about the trend of college facility corporate naming rights - https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2018/08/13/college-stadium-naming-rights-university-kentucky-kroger-field/952633002/ - just a continuation sponsorships across campuses - I wonder what we could get while continuing to honor Dr Chaifetz? what a deal Carrier got at Syracuse

Are the naming rights to the court still owned by centene? 

Chaifetz got the School of Business named after him, I bet the University could talk him into letting them resell the name of the Arena, provided certain conditions are met. Sounds to me like an opening for something like a major expansion or similar. After all we are going to need to expand capacity after we start winning consistently once more. 

Ironbills likes this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Chaifetz got the School of Business named after him, I bet the University could talk him into letting them resell the name of the Arena, provided certain conditions are met. Sounds to me like an opening for something like a major expansion or similar. After all we are going to need to expand capacity after we start winning consistently once more. 

hmmmm you would think the likes of Duke would have expanded capacity by now.   

old guy, slu is not going to expand capacity.   after "we start winning consistently once more", slu may significantly raise prices, expand the need to be a donor/billiken club member, and/or raise that price as well.   but they will not expand capacity.   why spend a $100 million to add 5,000 seats when the payback might never happen?      

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

hmmmm you would think the likes of Duke would have expanded capacity by now.   

old guy, slu is not going to expand capacity.   after "we start winning consistently once more", slu may significantly raise prices, expand the need to be a donor/billiken club member, and/or raise that price as well.   but they will not expand capacity.   why spend a $100 million to add 5,000 seats when the payback might never happen?      

Ya actually using those suites would be a good start.

Only time ive been in those was when Drew hanlen came to town 

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ya actually using those suites would be a good start.

Only time ive been in those was when Drew hanlen came to town 

are the suites available on a game to game basis?   if so does anyone know the terms?

Roy, Old Guy,

I hope I'm wrong, but think significant expansion to seat capacity is highly unlikely. as was explained to me many years ago by the project's experts, there was something inherent about the site (ground structure under building, etc.,) that prohibited creating a 15-20K seat facility... or made it ridiculously expensive to do so. and once the building was built in its smaller current configuration, it wouldn't have the structural support for significant future capacity expansion. the reason i remember is that the smaller configuration was a disappointment to me at the time. during Spoon's years, data showed average attendance at 16K+ (4th in NCAA Div 1), I thought SLU might be underestimating the market (particularly with new commitment to Top 50 program - non-existent during Spoon years,) and had wondered if in future years another level could be added to the building.

(by the way, i bring this up not to start another discussion on what the building size should have been! roy's made fair point about no NFL at time, others have said smaller configuration could create an even hotter ticket, and games in huge demand could be played at Scottrade/Enterprise Center, the Dome, etc.)

I'm guessing some minor seating adds might be possible. but back in the day, i asked the significant capacity expansion question to the people who would know, the answer was no, and unless something has changed in structural technology or there's new thinking on the subject, i doubt it. but to me, it's sure an interesting topic.