Good Read

The big conferences will not play the mid majors except at their place, and then only ones they know they will beat.  Won't play the good mid majors at all if they can help it.  Then strength of schedule suffers.  Result ... really good teams are left out and marginal big conference teams get in.  Yes, it is a conspiracy.          https://sports.yahoo.com/loyola-chicagos-final-four-run-reveals-flaws-ncaa-tournaments-selection-process-034007234.html    

ACE likes this

I think most of us knew what the article says.  It is however nice to see the veil lifted from the Wizard of Oz.  The NCAA needs to rethink their approach in selecting teams for the Dance.  I wonder if fans of mid majors should just boycott the Dance on TV.  That might get the NCAA's attention. Other than that, how do you put pressure on the NCAA?

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

The big conferences will not play the mid majors except at their place, and then only ones they know they will beat.  Won't play the good mid majors at all if they can help it.  Then strength of schedule suffers.  Result ... really good teams are left out and marginal big conference teams get in.  Yes, it is a conspiracy.          https://sports.yahoo.com/loyola-chicagos-final-four-run-reveals-flaws-ncaa-tournaments-selection-process-034007234.html    

No it is not a conspiracy, it is purely and simply what millions of people and most corporations do all the time.  It is playing the system to gain the most benefits they can. Controlling who they play, the power conferences manipulate the RPIs to get the most bids (and the most money) in the dance. How is that different from playing with taxes and regulations? or individual people pretending they are disabled? The whole country does it one way or the other. It is a way of life for lots of people, organizations, and corporations.

Spoon-Balls likes this

-I agree with Cheese that the article says what we know and with Ace that it is good to have attention paid to it, took me back to Selection Sunday when Dickie V basically said he gave up his crusade for the little guys as the landscape is tilted so much to the big guy and rewarding mediocrity in the P6 conferences

dennis_w likes this

I get so irritated when national talking heads and the local yocal midday on 101 talk about how people want the blue bloods. They say people want to see Duke, KY, KU and the like battling against each other. I hear this and I want to pull my hair out. 

Thats not what people I know want. The Cinderella story is what makes the tournament awesome.  Nobody wants to see Minnisota battling Kentucky. Where's  the interest in that. Murray state vs KY now that has some excitement.  Can the little guy knock off the big dog. That's what people want. Not state U vs State U.

I saw this poll the other day and I think it's pretty telling. 

People without a rooting interest pull for the underdog.

Spoon-Balls likes this

32 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I get so irritated when national talking heads and the local yocal midday on 101 talk about how people want the blue bloods. They say people want to see Duke, KY, KU and the like battling against each other. I hear this and I want to pull my hair out. 

Thats not what people I know want. The Cinderella story is what makes the tournament awesome.  Nobody wants to see Minnisota battling Kentucky. Where's  the interest in that. Murray state vs KY now that has some excitement.  Can the little guy knock off the big dog. That's what people want. Not state U vs State U.

The basketball fans that want the blue bloods will watch no matter what. The ratings will spike with casual fans of a cinderella is involved 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

On 101.1 it was Wheeler who was pushing the blue blood argument.  Bernie liked the idea of underdogs being in the final 4 as being good.  I know my wife who never watches basketball will be watching Saturday when Loyola plays and she will not be watching the second game that night.  If Loyola loses she won't watch the finals but if Loyola is in it she will be glued to the set.  How people can not understand what this poll you shared is what the reality is are just in denial.

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

On 101.1 it was Wheeler who was pushing the blue blood argument.  Bernie liked the idea of underdogs being in the final 4 as being good.  I know my wife who never watches basketball will be watching Saturday when Loyola plays and she will not be watching the second game that night.  If Loyola loses she won't watch the finals but if Loyola is in it she will be glued to the set.  How people can not understand what this poll you shared is what the reality is are just in denial.

Yeah that's right I can never remember Wheelers name. Most of the time I like him but I think he is way off on this one.