Is this a surprise?

my guess is that he indeed will surface elsewhere. the problem seems to be the hours needed to fit into a slu major. these guys come in with the hours to major in restaurant management or physical education, but not international economics or pre-med.

since brad doesnt utilize more than 8-9 players anyway, it isnt a big deal assuming no injuries. for once we were in a luxurious position depthwise in our backcourt. it just means the likes of darren clarke has to step up and contribute meaningful minutes. personally while i was eager to see mr alexander, i am not that concerned. now if newborne or one of our counted on frontcourt guys is announced as out, then i would be concerned.

imo, it puts brad in a better position to grab a couple of highly regarded transfers. ;-)

Both Alexander and Newborne had summer school work to make up, as did TF when he came into SLU last season. Hopefully, VN made up his missing credits this summer. I think it will be a rare case that a juco transfer won't have summer school classes to pass before getting into SLU.

While Alexander evidently was a terrific athlete, he was not on SLU's original hit list. My guess is that AA was our fourth choice behind Washington from Allen County, the kid from Fort Smith that went to Lamar and VN's teammate that went to Ohio State.

It is my understanding that SLU had identified AA for another midwest D1 team looking for guard help when the TL situation clarified itself in the April-May timeframe. With TL not immediately available, SLU signed AA for themselves.

I wonder who has been invited to walk-on this season?

i would never be in favor of starting a major just so we can get in a couple of junior college basketball players. now if it is deemed that adding a physical education major is a true academic need of st louis university go for it. but for now, i have to admit i question the sense of recruiting the likes of brandon morris and antwan alexander in the first place. what was the point? how much time and effort was wasted? who did we miss out on? is this going to be an annual ritual? and if so, what does it accomplish.

I'm very disappointed to hear this news. Alexander would have added superior athleticism with an ability to slash to a team that has often struggled in that department (especially with the departure of Fish in the backcourt). With Alexander, the development of Darren Clarke could wait. Not now. We need Mr. Clarke to come in and be a significant contributor this year ... we shall need him to score and play defense. It was good to hear the report that Darren has been putting on bulk through his work with the strength coach this summer.

the difference imo is that the juco transfer rule not only addresses the players individual academic record, but also penalizes the target school (slu) for not having the program in place for the student athlete to transfer into due to not knowing 2 years ago what school limitations there would be for a school that they probably hadnt even thought about at that time.

no one is arguing that tl had academic distress, judging by all the guards that brad soderberg had stockpiled, it is my guess that the whole tl scenario was played out in coach soderberg's head long ago. and he was betting on winning the loyalty to see tl through juco or prep school time. now if tl never sets foot on slu campus, i will add him to my "why did we waste the time?" list.

tell me a year that between august and december there arent a number of high profile players that become disgruntled for whatever reason and leave a school looking for a new home? i am NOT talking about cusworth. the players i am talking about arent even thinking about leaving school yet. i am talking about that known unknown that is bound to happen. and the fact we have 5 scholarships in hand put us in a very advantageous position imo to snag one or two when it happens without derailing other current recruiting plans.

My understanding is that DC is really looking good ... and playing with alot of confidence. I think we will be ok. I wish we had AA though. RB graduates and he could have been the starting 2 next year giving KL a year to get his feet wet. It is clear that Brad doesn't want to put up with someone who cannot pass a couple of neccessary classes at JUCO to come. He would probably struggle to make it here.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

kevin lisch and tommie liddell will not need a year to get ready. with the exception of possibly reggie, they would have been the best players on this team this year imo. another reason why alexander not coming isnt too concerning. now if something happens before august of 2005 and either or both of our L's dont show, that's a different story then.