GDT: NCAA Tournament Opening Weekend

Pistol

Six ACC teams heading to the Sweet 16.

Great evidence to back your point, I watch a lot of Big 12 basketball and much less ACC.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see the UNI collapse because I was watching the Xavier game.

The call on Sumner with 4 seconds left was brutal. The game was pretty physical, and wasn't called tight at all. They let them play. So when the Wisconsin defender was moving his feet and then threw some obvious bait out - jerking his head back and beginning to fall - before Sumner even got to him, it was an easy no-call. That was an Italian soccer-level flop.

In the no-call situation, Sumner likely puts up a shot or passes about 1 second later, and the most time left on the clock after rebounding a miss or inbounding a make is 2 seconds for Wisconsin. Instead, they the ball with 4 seconds and have time for a timeout on the other side and a circus make off an inbounds play. Xavier played one of its worst games of the season but I hate to see them go out on another bad call; they got screwed against Duke in 2004 and Ohio State in 2007.

The call on Sumner with 4 seconds left was brutal. The game was pretty physical, and wasn't called tight at all. They let them play. So when the Wisconsin defender was moving his feet and then threw some obvious bait out - jerking his head back and beginning to fall - before Sumner even got to him, it was an easy no-call. That was an Italian soccer-level flop.

In the no-call situation, Sumner likely puts up a shot or passes about 1 second later, and the most time left on the clock after rebounding a miss or inbounding a make is 2 seconds for Wisconsin. Instead, they the ball with 4 seconds and have time for a timeout on the other side and a circus make off an inbounds play. Xavier played one of its worst games of the season but I hate to see them go out on another bad call; they got screwed against Duke in 2004 and Ohio State in 2007.

I get that you are a Xavier fan and all and are going to paint a picture that supports them but let's not go crazy here. While their loss to Ohio State in 2007 was epic (although UNI made it look like nothing by comparison) they've also had an amazing amount of seeding luck over the years.

The year we beat an underseeded Memphis team and got #1 seed Michigan State in the next round, they got Notre Dame as a 7 seed and Lehigh as a 15 seed. About as easy a road to the Sweet 16 as you can ever have. Last year they got Mississippi and Georgia St.

The key obviously is to be in the dance every year and sometimes you'll have good luck and sometimes you'll have bad luck. They've had their fair share of both.

I get that you are a Xavier fan and all and are going to paint a picture that supports them but let's not go crazy here. While their loss to Ohio State in 2007 was epic (although UNI made it look like nothing by comparison) they've also had an amazing amount of seeding luck over the years.

The year we beat an underseeded Memphis team and got #1 seed Michigan State in the next round, they got Notre Dame as a 7 seed and Lehigh as a 15 seed. About as easy a road to the Sweet 16 as you can ever have. Last year they got Mississippi and Georgia St.

The key obviously is to be in the dance every year and sometimes you'll have good luck and sometimes you'll have bad luck. They've had their fair share of both.

My wife is the Xavier fan. I guess they'd be my "second" team.

I said nothing about seeding. My point was that they've had a relatively high share of games that hinged on a terrible call in the last play or two of regulation. You can't say the same about the other teams that have made the Tournament with the same frequency in the last decade-plus. Seeding has nothing to do with my point.

No, Washpun was not being mugged....and he somehow avoided a 5 second count even though nearly 8 seconds elapsed once he picked up his dribble. Never inbound the ball into the corner when being trapped!

They got rid of the 5 - second rule this year.

The five second rule still applies if the player is HOLDING the ball. If he is dribbling, there is no five second rule.

Thank you for the clarification I saw a ref. doing the timing with his arm and could not figure out why, now I know.

I always root for the Xavier and Gonzaga. I would like to see SLU basketball become a program just like them. One of the reasons I liked SLU moving to the A10 was to play was Xavier and Dayton. I remember SLU playing Xavier in the MCC twice a year and Xavier being the model program back then. I remember Bob Ramsey in the MCC days describing the Xavier bench having 5 starters sitting on it. When SLU beat Xavier twice in a season in the A10 it was so satisfying because of the respect I have for Xavier.

I always root for the Xavier and Gonzaga. I would like to see SLU basketball become a program just like them. One of the reasons I liked SLU moving to the A10 was to play was Xavier and Dayton. I remember SLU playing Xavier in the MCC twice a year and Xavier being the model program back then. I remember Bob Ramsey in the MCC days describing the Xavier bench having 5 starters sitting on it. When SLU beat Xavier twice in a season in the A10 it was so satisfying because of the respect I have for Xavier.

I agree with this. If SLU had years ago made an effort to be like X, Dayton and Marquette, we'd likely be in the Big East. It may be too late for that, but there's no reason this program has to once again be mired in mediocrity. Very hopeful the new coach can get it done.

I agree with this. If SLU had years ago made an effort to be like X, Dayton and Marquette, we'd likely be in the Big East. It may be too late for that, but there's no reason this program has to once again be mired in mediocrity. Very hopeful the new coach can get it done.

It doesn't have to be too late for the Big East. Untill they expand we have an opportunity to raise out program to be the top candidate. We are a perfect fit except we sucked on the court the last 2 years. Change that quickly and they should want us in an expansion.

-I don't think there ever was 5 seconds in the backcourt

-I am not a fan of the change in the 5 second rule and hope it returns as it was, I would reward the defense for good play, too

-as to X, I respect and am jealous of the on-court success they have had, but for me some or a lot of that success has come with thugs and "gangstas" on their squad that makes me squeamish-see the Cinn brawl and aftermath from a few years ago as exhibit 1

It doesn't have to be too late for the Big East. Untill they expand we have an opportunity to raise out program to be the top candidate. We are a perfect fit except we sucked on the court the last 2 years. Change that quickly and they should want us in an expansion.

Yeah, I haven't completely given up hope for the Big East, but we went from champs to bottom feeders in the A-10 in just two short years. I don't see why we can't finish in the top 3 or 4 in our league on at least a semi-regular basis. Doing that would get us in postseason play a lot more and improve our brand. THEN, if the Beast is looking to expand, we'd have some credibility.

Like I said, hoping we hire a guy who can get that done.

-I don't think there ever was 5 seconds in the backcourt

-I am not a fan of the change in the 5 second rule and hope it returns as it was, I would reward the defense for good play, too

-as to X, I respect and am jealous of the on-court success they have had, but for me some or a lot of that success has come with thugs and "gangstas" on their squad that makes me squeamish-see the Cinn brawl and aftermath from a few years ago as exhibit 1

I for one would trade rosters with X immediately. I'm fine with 'zipping them up' as long as we're doing the 'zipping'

I'll still attack and mock XU as a haven for the out-of-control athletics program gone wrong, but i won't lie for a second that i would gladly take it for wins. I've watched Jim Crews for two years, and anything the "gangsters" have done has paled in comparison to the shame the Crews era has brought.

Who on X's current roster would you describe as a thug or gangsta? Do you have an exhibit 2 (that brawl was back in 2011)?

The Closely Guarded rules from the current rule book:

Section 14. Closely Guarded

Art. 1. A player in control of the ball in the frontcourt only while holding the ball is closely guarded when his opponent is in a guarding stance at a distance not exceeding 6 feet.

This distance shall be measured from the forward foot or feet of the defender to the forward foot or feet of the opponent.

Art. 2. Closely guarded violations occur when a closely guarded player anywhere in his frontcourt holds the ball for five seconds. This count shall be terminated during an interrupted dribble.

Art. 3. After the start of a five-second closely guarded count, in order for a closely guarded violation to occur, there shall be continuous guarding by the same opponent.

Art. 4. When a player is positioned between the player in control of the ball and his opponent, who is within 6 feet, a closely guarded situation does not exist.

Marquette. Never forget. ;)

I doubt there are too many people on here that even know what you are talking about Joe. I was actually at that game in Milwaukee and will never forget it. It was January of 2004 I'm pretty sure, because we had just watched the Rams lose to Carolina in the playoffs, officially starting the 12 years of putrid football. Down 1 with less than a minute to go. Josh Fisher is at the top of the key, then dribbles down the lane. Somehow one of the refs blows his whistle and calls 5 seconds, right as Fisher was about to shoot a 5-10 footer. An incredible home court advantage given to a team that didn't need it. Never forget.

Who on X's current roster would you describe as a thug or gangsta? Do you have an exhibit 2 (that brawl was back in 2011)?

-I don't know enough about their current roster to make an assessment as I don't watch them as much since we are not in the same conference

-as to other examples, nothing as big as the brawl pops to mind and that does nothing to change my view

The biggest barrier to SLU getting an invite is already gone: Biondi. People hated him (a priest who served on a NCAAcommittee with him referred to him as a "prick" in a conversation with me about the Big East) and Creighton was bitter over the A-10/MVC realignment issue.

-I don't know enough about their current roster to make an assessment as I don't watch them as much since we are not in the same conference

-as to other examples, nothing as big as the brawl pops to mind and that does nothing to change my view

There are 0 players remaining on either XU's (or UC's) rosters from the infamous brawl. So this is basically the same as blaming SLU's current players for "the incident" that saw 4 of our players implicated.

The only guy on Xavier's current roster who is a bit of a loose cannon is Jalen Reynolds. Very emotional player, hard to rein in.

There are 0 players remaining on either XU's (or UC's) rosters from the infamous brawl. So this is basically the same as blaming SLU's current players for "the incident" that saw 4 of our players implicated.

The only guy on Xavier's current roster who is a bit of a loose cannon is Jalen Reynolds. Very emotional player, hard to rein in.

-I made no assessment on current players so no, it is not the same as basically blaming current SLU players for the situation

-the coach is the same

-I made no assessment on current players so no, it is not the same as basically blaming current SLU players for the situation

-the coach is the same

"Even though plentiful, easily accessible evidence exists to refute my longstanding minimally informed opinion, I refuse to update it accordingly."

Whatever floats your boat.