Odds for staying/ replacing??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your bets in now. Odds are fluctuating as bets come in. Updated as of 3/4/16 at 10:23:24

Odds:

Crews 1:6

Platt: 1:6

Cheaney 2:1

Bronson 4:1

Jolly 1:4

Yarbrough: 2:1

Roby 6:1

Reynolds 6:1

Bartley 15:1

Gillmann 25:1

Bishop 26:1

Neufeld 22:1

Welmer 40:1

Crawford 30:1

Agbeko 50:1

MB 1:8

Oldguy 1:11

HoosierPal 2:1

I have no inside knowledge but have spoken with people inside and around the athletic department. Themes I have heard include that our talent level is below most of the league which is unacceptable. Culturally it would be difficult to pay a coach at SLU $2 million/year but not impossible. There would have to be assistance from outside the program for that type of contract but it is possible for the right coach that is acceptable to those outside the program. And most importantly, the head of the university understands the value of a strong athletic program in terms of profile, engagement with alumni, etc. That could all be BS, but based on the people I have heard it from I choose to believe that the people that need to know and understand, know and understand that something needs to be done. I think it is also important to note that JC was happily retired before this gig. I have to think he could be more happily retired after. I am in the camp that he will "retire" at the end of the season.

I had a conversation with Dr. P very early in the season. He definitely understands the value of a strong athletic program. In the same conversation he also praised the moral compass of Coach Crews. I hope this doesn't get in the way of a smart business decision. Financially we can not afford to bring Crews back.

Im curious if Dr P has the backbone to fire Crews and pony up the money to pay someone. It sounds like from DoctorB's comments in multiple threads is that the politics on campus would not be happy with the University paying up for a Men's basketball Coach. IMO, Dr P seemed to give into the unaffiliated protesters on campus when he first started so he would not offend anyone. Hopefully he doesn't keep with the status quo of Crews just because he doesn't want to make the hard decision that may piss some people off.

Within a month?? I'd want this taken care of within a week.

The day after the season ends for the Billikens

I had a conversation with Dr. P very early in the season. He definitely understands the value of a strong athletic program. In the same conversation he also praised the moral compass of Coach Crews. I hope this doesn't get in the way of a smart business decision. Financially we can not afford to bring Crews back.

I think Pestello is the real wild card in this situation. I think that May is savvy enough to recognize the problem, and hasn't said much of anything to deny that one exists. Pestello, on the other hand, hasn't shown his hand much. I don't know what his thoughts are concerning firing a coach. For all we know, he could believe that a school should honor a coach's contract. Other than him telling people that he believes in having a strong athletic program and him being seen at basically every game, he's an unknown commodity. We don't know if he has the stomach for major college athletics.

I'll go so far as to say that if Crews is retained, it will be because Pestello kept it from happening, not May.

Im curious if Dr P has the backbone to fire Crews and pony up the money to pay someone. It sounds like from DoctorB's comments in multiple threads is that the politics on campus would not be happy with the University paying up for a Men's basketball Coach. IMO, Dr P seemed to give into the unaffiliated protesters on campus when he first started so he would not offend anyone. Hopefully he doesn't keep with the status quo of Crews just because he doesn't want to make the hard decision that may piss some people off.

The worst people to talk to about finances is a teacher at school. They are good at knowing culture but thy tend to see things very narrowly -this is not knock just an observation from 40 years of working with them. They hear that there is no money for raises of much note and they think the place is cash strapped. Money sits in different accounts that may not be transferable. Salaries can not and should not be just paid for teachers from bonds to athletic money. Donors will step up for a coach but not a chemistry prof. Dr B has no idea of the schools resources. Plus if the AD loses money then lots of other things may be impacted. Keeping Crews will actual cost revenue

The worst people to talk to about finances is a teacher at school. They are good at knowing culture but thy tend to see things very narrowly -this is not knock just an observation from 40 years of working with them. They hear that there is no money for raises of much note and they think the place is cash strapped. Money sits in different accounts that may not be transferable. Salaries can not and should not be just paid for teachers from bonds to athletic money. Donors will step up for a coach but not a chemistry prof. Dr B has no idea of the schools resources. Plus if the AD loses money then lots of other things may be impacted. Keeping Crews will actual cost revenue

Losing season ticket sales and NCAA tournament opportunities will cost SLU more than it would save by bringing in a coach worthy of Crews' salary.

The Athletic Dept may as well fold as keep Crews. What is the point? There is no sound argument for keeping Crews at all- unless you think he will get us to the dance-- which is certifiably insane. This situation is BAD.

I have no inside knowledge but have spoken with people inside and around the athletic department. Themes I have heard include that our talent level is below most of the league which is unacceptable. Culturally it would be difficult to pay a coach at SLU $2 million/year but not impossible. There would have to be assistance from outside the program for that type of contract but it is possible for the right coach that is acceptable to those outside the program. And most importantly, the head of the university understands the value of a strong athletic program in terms of profile, engagement with alumni, etc. That could all be BS, but based on the people I have heard it from I choose to believe that the people that need to know and understand, know and understand that something needs to be done. I think it is also important to note that JC was happily retired before this gig. I have to think he could be more happily retired after. I am in the camp that he will "retire" at the end of the season.

2mm is great media to talk about.

The truth is i would be happy if we paid 850k to a coach WORTHY of it.

850k is a big time coaching salary. That is not chump change. Statistically it is compelling.

We have a dumpster fire program though, we need something to attract the right candidate.

I think that topping out at 2mm is even on the table is exciting, hopefully money will be no object in landing the coach thag can land us back in the NIT asap and the ncaa right after, and keep us a consistently relevant and dancing team. Id like to see at minimum an NIT berth sooner rather than later. That would put us back in the top 100 and respectability again.