SLU v. Alabama A&M - Game Day Thread

SluSignGuy

I developed this way to judge and compare players past and present - I call it "the eye test"

Funny, wise guy. The thing is, a person's subjective opinion (your "eye test") can be waaay off. That's especially so when one player added two-and-a-half years of performance to cloud the memory of the earlier performance and the other player is not being afforded the same benefit of doubt.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, wise guy. The thing is, a person's subjective opinion (your "eye test") can be waaay off. That's especially so when one player added two-and-a-half years of performance to cloud the memory of the earlier performance and the other player is not being afforded the same benefit of doubt.

Sure can be! The thing about a message board is I can post subjective opinions, right or wrong!

Sure, but the result would be the same. The 2014 versions of Loe and Jett would make this team decent, but the early-sophomore-year versions of those guys would make no difference.

Adding better players wouldn't make a difference?

Rob Loe was better as a sophomore than Gillmann is right now. One could make a case for Reynolds over Jett, but Loe would be a definite upgrade.

If Rob and Jordair climbed into a DeLorean before the start of the 2011-12 season, hit 88 miles per hour and traveled to the present day, I'd take them on today's team over Gillmann and Reynolds.

-the biggest difference maker didn't play, he coached

Good write up but I disagree.

The 8 or 9 constantly negative posters (the "rotation"), deep inside, seem to like that things are not going well. It makes them special in their minds to be against Coach Crews; many were opposed to Crews day one and now pour it on every chance they get.

It is the same with Matheny, (LaRussa before him), Hitchcock, and Fisher right now. It was hilarious to listen to the loser hoosiers call into Kevin Slaten years ago who emotionally all wanted LaRussa fired right now despite his success. It made the losers feel good.

It is a phenomenon in sports, frustrated men who "never made the team", feel better when they can second guess a 30 year veteran coach who interned under Bobby Knight. They think we can get a young superstar coach in his stead. They do not understand that in 50 years, we have only had two superstar coaches, Spoon and Majerus, and there was a lot of timing and luck with both, especially Majerus.

We had a 2 year gap in recruiting with Majerus's unfortunate health problems. Only the freshmen and sophs on this team are Crews's; 2 juniors and one sr, so for the second year in a row we are still a very young team with no uppreclassmen to lead.

We have one game that stunk... Morehead... the rest were predictable and we are 5-3. We now have a rotation, Yarbrough seems to possibly be back on track, we still can get 16-17-18 wins.

We shall see.

I'm optimistic about the long term future of this team. About the short term future of this board, not so much. Some folks have adopted a narrative that we are a team with poor talent and an even worse coach, and they are going to remind us of that narrative at every opportunity.

If the team finishes above .500, it's not like these posters are going to held accountable for the last 9 months worth of posts. They'll just move the goalposts back and start a new line of criticism. The narrative of the clueless coach who can't recruit or develop talent won't change. And that's their prerogative. Contrary to their belief, a high volume of forum posts isn't necessary to field a decent basketball team.

#narrative #therotation #heldaccountable #goalposts #onegamethatstunk #cluelesscoach #nevermadetheteam #specialintheirminds